Skateboard and Kittens Dream

Laura Borealis

Semi-lucid dream this morning ---

-------------

I was on a skateboard, but I was lying on it on my back, riding feet-first and raising my head up to see where I was going. I steered by leaning my body left or right. I saw some other skateboarders riding the same way, and they were having mock-battles with each other, throwing small missiles (something like snowballs, but there wasn't any snow). I wove expertly through the pack of these other skateboarders, and zipped on up the street, going slightly uphill.

Suddenly I arrived in my room, sans skateboard. I thought, "If I'm here now, I couldn't have really been riding a skateboard on my back. I must have been dreaming. And all those others were dreaming too, each one skating and play-fighting in their own dreams."

With that thought, I left my room and walked down the hall. I saw my white cat lying in a box in a corner near a window. I looked in, and she had kittens, maybe two dozen of them. Some of the kittens were normal newborn size, but some were very small, and some looked like they weren't complete - parts of them were missing. I was a little sad for those ones, because I knew they wouldn't make it. But there were plenty of the bigger kittens which would grow into healthy cats, and I knew the "runts" would be buried and become fertile ground for new ones in the future.

-------------

I've had the skateboarding-on-my-back dream before. I've wondered if I'm sleeping on my back at the time it happens (I typically don't sleep that way). But I also associate it with having fun and being skillful in my dreams. Unlike the dreams where I'm driving and the brakes fail or I can't steer, I'm always awesome at skateboarding on my back. I'll weave in and out of traffic and go very fast. (In real life I would probably break my neck if I stepped on a skateboard :D so this is just in dreams!)

The skateboarding part of the dream was very light and sunny, outdoors. The second part was dark and dim, indoors, with the only light being by the window where my cat had her kittens.

Waking out of one part of the dream, into another, is something I do pretty often. I think of dreaming as having levels. You can go deeper in, where the truer dreams are, and you can also visit a shared dream-landscape (it's a theory anyway). I think the other skateboarders may actually have been other dreamers, interacting in that shared place.

I'm not sure what to think of the kittens. Maybe my cat having kittens represents acts of creation. Some creations are incomplete (unfinished, abandoned projects) but others work out well... and even the incomplete ones provide practice for new creations in the future.

Thoughts?