Something's wrong...

naiadsandthewater

Hello!

So, there's something happening lately that's been making me doubt my own readings.

Last friday I asked the cards if I'd hear from this particular person that day. If we would talk. I got the Hermit, 8 of Swords and the 5 of Cups. That's a clear no, isn't it? Especially with the Hermit in the mix. Well, I end up having a lovely conversation with said person.

Also last week, I asked another more provate question with wonderful results that so far, haven't happened. Maybe this one is more about me waiting it out, I know.

Bbut this isn't the first time it's been happening. I sometimes ask things that I'm afraid of somehow and I get 'horrible' cards. My guess is that my fear is being reflected on the cards, but I don't know how to stop it and reading for myself has been a battle. Does anyone else have gone through this? :/ Any tips on how to shut yourself out? I tried pretending I was reading for a client instead of myself, but I was still hyper aware that I was, in fact, reading for myself.

Chobit

Hopefully this doesn't sound dismissive, but I think that some of your questions are too specific. Your first question is kind of like asking the tarot to give you winning lottery numbers, you know? People usually say to avoid asking things with yes/no answers due to this very thing. The tarot can't always give you a clear idea of the future, but it can hint at things you're already (often subconsciously) aware of yourself.

What did you and your friend talk about? Was it very self-reflective, or did you end up talking about learning experiences, that sort of thing? The Hermit and 8 of Swords could reference having heavier conversations, and if either of you pushed each other to let go of negative feelings or take action regarding something you've been wavering on, that could bring in the 5 of Cups. Maybe she decided to call you because she was feeling "shut in" and wanted to discuss a direction... there's such a wide variety of interpretations, that's the problem with asking something where you want strict answers.

That would be my first piece of advice. Loosen up your expectations, ask things that are more open-ended so you allow yourself to interpret the cards in a broader sense. As for not letting your state of mind have sway over your reading - well, that's exactly what you want in a personal spread! The way you see the cards in that moment is reflective of where you're at mentally, and can help you become aware of things positively or negatively influencing you.

That being said, I can see how this would be annoying if you're trying to glean some advice from the cards and all you can see is negative imagery. I would suggest trying to clear your mind beforehand by doing a bit of meditation (doesn't have to be long, even 10 minutes can help immensely).

When you feel yourself jump to one meaning or another, don't always accept it right off the bat. This can happen when you get familiar with the cards, for example, if you pull the 5 of Swords and your mind leaps to, "Betrayal! Competition! Selfishness!" take a minute to consider what else it might be saying. It can also imply something as simple as a learning experience (you tried your best, but it wasn't enough - now you can focus on being better) or it might be telling you to pick your battles instead of saying you're going to get screwed in the future.

Lastly, do the positions in your spread represent anything? If not, start doing so! It makes knowing how to interpret everything so much clearer. I.e. your question might be, "How can I take my work to a higher level?" but then your card positions represent, "What I'm doing well now, what skills I can improve on, and what my goal should be for the future." That way there's less confusion about what each card is referencing.

naiadsandthewater

Hopefully this doesn't sound dismissive, but I think that some of your questions are too specific. Your first question is kind of like asking the tarot to give you winning lottery numbers, you know? People usually say to avoid asking things with yes/no answers due to this very thing. The tarot can't always give you a clear idea of the future, but it can hint at things you're already (often subconsciously) aware of yourself.

What did you and your friend talk about? Was it very self-reflective, or did you end up talking about learning experiences, that sort of thing? The Hermit and 8 of Swords could reference having heavier conversations, and if either of you pushed each other to let go of negative feelings or take action regarding something you've been wavering on, that could bring in the 5 of Cups. Maybe she decided to call you because she was feeling "shut in" and wanted to discuss a direction... there's such a wide variety of interpretations, that's the problem with asking something where you want strict answers.

That would be my first piece of advice. Loosen up your expectations, ask things that are more open-ended so you allow yourself to interpret the cards in a broader sense. As for not letting your state of mind have sway over your reading - well, that's exactly what you want in a personal spread! The way you see the cards in that moment is reflective of where you're at mentally, and can help you become aware of things positively or negatively influencing you.

That being said, I can see how this would be annoying if you're trying to glean some advice from the cards and all you can see is negative imagery. I would suggest trying to clear your mind beforehand by doing a bit of meditation (doesn't have to be long, even 10 minutes can help immensely).

When you feel yourself jump to one meaning or another, don't always accept it right off the bat. This can happen when you get familiar with the cards, for example, if you pull the 5 of Swords and your mind leaps to, "Betrayal! Competition! Selfishness!" take a minute to consider what else it might be saying. It can also imply something as simple as a learning experience (you tried your best, but it wasn't enough - now you can focus on being better) or it might be telling you to pick your battles instead of saying you're going to get screwed in the future.

Lastly, do the positions in your spread represent anything? If not, start doing so! It makes knowing how to interpret everything so much clearer. I.e. your question might be, "How can I take my work to a higher level?" but then your card positions represent, "What I'm doing well now, what skills I can improve on, and what my goal should be for the future." That way there's less confusion about what each card is referencing.

You're not being dismissive, and I get that Yes/No questions are kind of frowned upon. However, I've been reading for a long time (Lenormand Deck, started learning the Rider Waite last year) and these questions always worked for me. Just recently that it started to get like this, so it's really bothering me. I can't trust my own reading and that's just such an awful feeling :/

I do like the idea of not settling for just one answer, and the meditation thing does sound nice. Thank you! I'll be sure to try that out :)

Amanda

Hello!

So, there's something happening lately that's been making me doubt my own readings.

Last friday I asked the cards if I'd hear from this particular person that day. If we would talk. I got the Hermit, 8 of Swords and the 5 of Cups. That's a clear no, isn't it? Especially with the Hermit in the mix. Well, I end up having a lovely conversation with said person.

No, it's not a clear no, actually. I can see in your cards where it could be a yes... but that may be through methods you're unaware of, or simply don't utilize. When cards start presenting problems like this though, I tend to think that it is time to expand upon the method of reading. This seems to have been the case for me.

Simple

Hello!

Also last week, I asked another more provate question with wonderful results that so far, haven't happened. Maybe this one is more about me waiting it out, I know.

Bbut this isn't the first time it's been happening. I sometimes ask things that I'm afraid of somehow and I get 'horrible' cards. My guess is that my fear is being reflected on the cards, but I don't know how to stop it and reading for myself has been a battle. Does anyone else have gone through this? :/ Any tips on how to shut yourself out? I tried pretending I was reading for a client instead of myself, but I was still hyper aware that I was, in fact, reading for myself.

Perhaps you just need a yes/no spread that works for you. Sometimes I have this problem too! Just pull out cards intuitively might be interpreted wrong, especially if it's for myself. That's a suggestion :)

naiadsandthewater

No, it's not a clear no, actually. I can see in your cards where it could be a yes... but that may be through methods you're unaware of, or simply don't utilize. When cards start presenting problems like this though, I tend to think that it is time to expand upon the method of reading. This seems to have been the case for me.

I admit that is a huge problem for me. I fixate on the 'this is negative, this is positive' so much sometimes and I miss the bigger picture. :p

Perhaps you just need a yes/no spread that works for you. Sometimes I have this problem too! Just pull out cards intuitively might be interpreted wrong, especially if it's for myself. That's a suggestion :)

I've been searching like crazy a spread that would work, and I think I found one, but I'v been testing it out. I know, sometimes I'm really anxious and I ask something and the first card I pull is the 9 of Swords haha. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

nisaba

Last friday I asked the cards if I'd hear from this particular person that day. If we would talk. I got the Hermit, 8 of Swords and the 5 of Cups. That's a clear no, isn't it?
<puzzled> Why is that a clear no? To me, the Hermit suggests that you need to trust your own intuition on this question, and perhaps you're spending too much time alone agonising about it rather than making the first move to reach out to them yourself. The Eight Swords indicates that you're really reducing your quality of life by doing that, and the Five Cups indicates that you'll regret it.

You ask a very simple, basic yes/no question - and pull THREE cards! :bugeyed: That doesn't give you yes or no - that gives you scads and scads of discussion around the whole issue. Tarot does that anyway, even with a one-card draw. Pendulums are much better for simple yes/no answers.

Well, I end up having a lovely conversation with said person.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Next time, YOU be the one to make it happen.

Did you place a time-limit on this question? Did you ask if it would happen within the next week? In the next year? By 2043? Or whether you'll find out more about this person and not want it to happen at all?

Bbut this isn't the first time it's been happening.
What *seems*, at first glance, to be happening, is that you're asking yes/no questions, then pulling cards that give you discussions.

And even if you got a copy of the deck and a felt pen, and arbitarily marked50% of the cards YES and the rest NO, then drew from that deck, how valuable, really is a yes or no? Think about these sample questions and answers:

Q: Will I marry X? A: Yes - and after the first few months the two of you will be desperately unhappy for the next forty years, hating yourselves and each other but unable to pull away. Would you expect positive or negative cards for that answer?

Q: Will I end up rich? A: Yes - because everyone you love will die horribly in an accident and you will be financially compensated, but live the rest of your life in with riches, but grieving deeply. Would you expect positive or negative cards for that answer?

Q: Can I make X love me even though they are indifferent to me now? A: Yes - and they become fixated on you and chain you to them, even though you fall out of love with them and then can't escape from them. Would you expect positive or negative cards?

Q: Will I go on that dream holiday to Hawaii? A: No, because you will lose your passport the night before and miss your plane, thus not being on there when there is a massive and unexpected volcanic explosion that would have killed you if you had been there.

Would you expect positive or negative cards?

Essence of Winter

The more specific the question - particularly with yes-no type questions - the Tarot becomes as effective as flipping a coin. The Tarot is geared towards situations, not specific events.

Essence of Winter

You're not being dismissive, and I get that Yes/No questions are kind of frowned upon. However, I've been reading for a long time (Lenormand Deck, started learning the Rider Waite last year) and these questions always worked for me. Just recently that it started to get like this, so it's really bothering me. I can't trust my own reading and that's just such an awful feeling :/

I think you've just fallen foul of the law of averages. For me, the Tarot is there to give insight and reality isn't so fixed and immutable that yes-no questions can really be answered.

naiadsandthewater

<puzzled> Why is that a clear no? To me, the Hermit suggests that you need to trust your own intuition on this question, and perhaps you're spending too much time alone agonising about it rather than making the first move to reach out to them yourself. The Eight Swords indicates that you're really reducing your quality of life by doing that, and the Five Cups indicates that you'll regret it.

You ask a very simple, basic yes/no question - and pull THREE cards! :bugeyed: That doesn't give you yes or no - that gives you scads and scads of discussion around the whole issue. Tarot does that anyway, even with a one-card draw. Pendulums are much better for simple yes/no answers.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Next time, YOU be the one to make it happen.

Did you place a time-limit on this question? Did you ask if it would happen within the next week? In the next year? By 2043? Or whether you'll find out more about this person and not want it to happen at all?

What *seems*, at first glance, to be happening, is that you're asking yes/no questions, then pulling cards that give you discussions.

And even if you got a copy of the deck and a felt pen, and arbitarily marked50% of the cards YES and the rest NO, then drew from that deck, how valuable, really is a yes or no? Think about these sample questions and answers:

Q: Will I marry X? A: Yes - and after the first few months the two of you will be desperately unhappy for the next forty years, hating yourselves and each other but unable to pull away. Would you expect positive or negative cards for that answer?

Q: Will I end up rich? A: Yes - because everyone you love will die horribly in an accident and you will be financially compensated, but live the rest of your life in with riches, but grieving deeply. Would you expect positive or negative cards for that answer?

Q: Can I make X love me even though they are indifferent to me now? A: Yes - and they become fixated on you and chain you to them, even though you fall out of love with them and then can't escape from them. Would you expect positive or negative cards?

Q: Will I go on that dream holiday to Hawaii? A: No, because you will lose your passport the night before and miss your plane, thus not being on there when there is a massive and unexpected volcanic explosion that would have killed you if you had been there.

Would you expect positive or negative cards?

I never thought about the discussion part of a yes/no question! I'm kind of having an eye-opening moment here. I understand it a lot better now. I am isolated and it's something I brought on my own and it makes me incredibly sad. So even though we ended up talking, I still felt really bad afterwards.

That's really great. Thanks for the answer!!! <3

(I'm sorry, but I laughed at the last question. 'Will ou go on a trip? No, but that's fine 'cause you'd have died on a volcano explosion.' hahaha.)