Spiritual but not religious?

CelestialHorse

Ya know, for awhile I always wonder what am I far as religion goes. I like to think spiritual, but not religious but I wonder if I am something else?

I will admit, I have a curious for Wicca/Pagan. Are those two religions tend to be more laid back, down to earth in a sense? I just wonder what would work for me. I honestly don't like religion :/ but is Wicca/Pagan sort of spiritual?

Chiska

Ya know, for awhile I always wonder what am I far as religion goes. I like to think spiritual, but not religious but I wonder if I am something else?

I will admit, I have a curious for Wicca/Pagan. Are those two religions tend to be more laid back, down to earth in a sense? I just wonder what would work for me. I honestly don't like religion :/ but is Wicca/Pagan sort of spiritual?

Perhaps start by defining what you feel are the differences between "religious" and "spiritual." To me, one has greater structure governing the interaction with the divine (religion) while the other is a more personal interaction with the divine (spiritual). I am not entirely sure these are mutually exclusive conditions. I have met several people (of varying religions [Wiccan, Roman Catholic, etc.]) who are religious and yet very spiritual.

canid

I've heard that religion is man-made & spiritual is God-made. I think the man-made one revolves around politics & how to control the populace for a buck. Does that help?

celticnoodle

I've heard that religion is man-made & spiritual is God-made. I think the man-made one revolves around politics & how to control the populace for a buck. Does that help?
I like that, canid. and, Chiska, I agree with you!

I'm reading a book titled "My Spiritual Journey" by the Dalai Lama. In this book I read that he feels we can as a world do w/o religion, but we can never do without spirituality.

He also says that religion is not a bad thing--that religion "implies a system of beliefs based on metaphysical foundations, along with the teaching of dogmas, rituals and/or prayers." Spirituality, according to him, "corresponds to the development of human qualities such as love, compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness or a sense of responsibility." I like and believe what he states above. I think those six "human qualities" are important qualities for everyone to possess, but religion is not a necessary one to possess.

Now, I will advise, Celestial Horse, that if you are interested in practicing Wicca/Paganistic religious beliefs, then perhaps you should read up on it and get a better idea of what all it involves. Find a local to you Wiccan/Pagan gathering and go check it out. Talk to people who practice this lifestyle--both on here and/or in person. Then, if you are still interested give it a go. If it's not really for you--there is no harm in dropping out then.

Eco74

For me, spiritualism and religion are different.

Where Spiritualism is a view where I feel that there's something bigger than myself, a creative force at work, life in forms and ways that I may not understand but can still respect. Also to some part the 'collective conscience' that can be tapped into through various means.
This makes me look at the world as something alive and worthwile, gives me a reason to think in a more nature-friendly way and motivates me to keep a positive attitude towards the people around me - even 'obvious wrong-doers'.

Religion is the stage where the rules come in. Basic rule sets on how one should live, set statutes on what is right and what is wrong. The more organized side of things, that brings with it explanations and guidelines and teachers and leaders.
And thisone, I have a little more trouble with, even though most religions (if not all) do teach respect, understanding, forgiveness and humility. Because that's not all there is to it and there are always some people who will twist and turn the basis for whatever religion they have to suit their own needs and wants.
The "I am right and everyone else is wrong" thesis just completely puts me off...

Which is why (I think) Buddhism and Wicca are the two 'organised faiths' I've ended up holding on to. They're encouraging solitary practice, paying attention and respect.
But enough on that - to each their own and all that jazz. I'm not here to convince anyone to think like me.
All this is, is how I see it. Everyone should be free to make their own minds up and follow their hearts and minds to wherever they lead - provided noone else gets hurt in the process.
Which is a decent summary of my personal "religious rule-set".

BodhiSeed

Found this excerpt from "Ten Thousand Flower Flames" by Sri Chinmoy on the internet:

1. Past vs Present. Religion tends to take great inspiration from the past. It reveres the ancient religious texts, as the way to achieve salvation. Spirituality is not so concerned with the past. Spirituality believes in the eternal now. To attain liberation we need to live in the present. It is not the past or the future that gives us liberation. We achieve peace of mind only when we concentrate on doing the right thing here and now.

2. Fear vs Love. Quite often religion takes the approach of fearing God. Religion is a reminder to do the right thing so will not suffer in the future. The spiritual approach to God is through the path of love. Spirituality teaches us not to fear God, but approach him through the path of love.

3. Where is God? Often religion talks of God as being high in the heavens; at times God can seem far from the reach of aspiring humanity. Spirituality shows us that God is omniscient and omnipresent and can be felt as a living presence in our own heart. Furthermore not only is God reachable but we can attain the inner realisation of God.

4. Universality. Many followers of religion feel that only their path can lead to salvation. They have tremendous faith in their own religion, but at the same time they feel other religions are wrong and cannot lead a seeker to God. Spirituality feels that all religions are valid. Spirituality knows there are many paths to the same goal. Spirituality embraces all the world religions, but at the same time, is not constrained by any religious dogmas or forms.

5. Outer worship vs Inner Worship. Religion places great emphasis on outer forms and outer rituals. These are helpful for giving a sense of formality to the worship of God. But spirituality is not so concerned with outer rituals. Spirituality says that what is important is a seeker’s inner attitude. Through practising spirituality we seek to develop an inner shrine in our own heart.

Milfoil

It is also worth defining the difference between wiccan and pagan. Pagan seems to be a 'catchall' term for anyone not following an abrahamic religions but does that mean that all monotheistic belief systems and religions are not Pagan? What defines 'Pagan'?

Wiccan is easily defined by it's own code and writings because it is a structured religion which has clear boundaries, but Pagan is a loose term, not a religion and therefore not so easy to pinpoint.

Anna

The word religion comes from the Latin "ligare", which means "to bind".

Modern usage of the word connects it to oppressive and controlling patriarchal faith structures, but the original meaning of the word matters.

The question becomes not; when it comes to religion, what am I?, but; what do I chose to bind myself too? It becomes active. Something to be sought out like a quest, rather than a passive thing you have spoon fed to you.

With the original meaning of the word in mind, I practice a religion.