Study Hall #1

alyna

Card of the week 9-15

Deck: RWS
Card: Four of Cups

Why did I choose this card, because it makes me happy.In the picture there is a man sitting crossed-knee under a tree.He is wearing red and blue, the colors of wands and cups.The place he is sitting at looks like a small hill-top. In front of him are three cups aligned, placed upright. In the air next to him is a hand coming out just the way in aces, holding a cup.

This card apparently has two meanings: The posture of the guy reminds me of yogis, who are praying for something. The magic hand is like appearing out of no where providing him with an extra cup. It means keeping faith, having hope and it will magically appear from somewhere,although the guy's expressions do not look like he is having faith. he is just not happy with his cups.

The second meaning: The guy is discontent, his face shows that he is too busy being crest-fallen over not having enough cups, he has three, but may be he is not content, and he is wishing for another cup (the cloud and the hand with cup, he expects someone else to come along and give him what he needs without any effort on his part)

I however, by instinct go with the first meaning, to me it always looks like help will eventually come from somewhere, this is always my first reaction to this card, although the other meaning is also pretty apparent.

Key words: helping hand, discontentment, having faith

pacificwaters

Card: Four of Cups

The second meaning: The guy is discontent, his face shows that he is too busy being crest-fallen over not having enough cups, he has three, but may be he is not content, and he is wishing for another cup (the cloud and the hand with cup, he expects someone else to come along and give him what he needs without any effort on his part)

Until I read your this post, I for one always went with the second meaning, the first meaning didn't even occur to me ever, especially because of the guy's expressions. I mean, look at him, he looks so forlorn, as if he is angry over being denied something, and now that he is being offered something, he, like a child (angry over denial) is not even looking at it..

However as regards your first meaning, well I would definitely think of it from this point in some readings now, where this card might look out of place.. :grin:

pacificwaters

Discussion: Oct 9-15

The card that I did for this week was the Two of Cups. One of the points that I mentioned in my discussion for this card, was that the female seems to have put on her head something like a wreath, or rather a crown of olive leaves and which I equated as being symbolic to peace as even her dress was white. At the back of my mind I just realized that there is one more card which also has a wreath in its picture – The World. As I went through the RWS deck I realized that well I was wrong and well there are obviously many more cards having a wreath in them – in some they are prominent and in some they are not. Well then, I knew what I had for discussion this week – repetition of certain symbols in cards.

As I have already discussed my views about what I felt about the wreath in the Two of Cups, I guess now I will try to discuss/rather put forward my views about wreaths in the other cards.

Starting from the Fool, well even the Fool has on his head a crown of olive leaves (which is seen only on careful observation). This is similar to that of the crown which the female has in the Two of Cups. Wreaths are known to be a symbol of peace and protection as well and are known to be associated with Apollo, the Roman God who in turn is linked with oracles, knowledge, peace and healing. Can it be therefore that the Fool when he takes a jump in the unknown has an unknown power protecting him as well?? And is that why the Fool is also considered a favorable card??

The next card is the World, the Fool at the beginning of the Major Arcana and The World at the end. One having a small wreath, the other with one which almost dominates the entire picture. I, personally have always associated the wreath here with completion of a cycle, following which we can say that probably the testing times are over?? Your hard work is now gonna be rewarded, etc etc. The two infinity like signs at two ends also seem to be signifying that well, life is a continuum of many such cycles – good and bad.

The next is the wreath in the Six of Wands. I guess here the answer is almost self-explanatory. The male is coming back on his horse as a victor and there is a wreath on his head to commemorate his victory or home coming. Weren’t wreaths given in the olden times to those who won Olympics when the games were not as big as they are now? By the way, are wreaths given to the winners in today’s Olympics too?? I am not sure.. or is it only medals nowadays??

And lastly, a wreath is also there in the Seven of Cups card, in one of the cups! This is one card that I find quite tough to interpret. I am not sure here, but can I assume that here the seven cups laden with different symbols, show what all the male in the figure possesses (wreath maybe indicating victory or say overall peace in life). The other symbols, ornaments, or say the castle are probably good omens and the other like the hooded figure or the snake and the dragon like figure are not and hence shows that there has to be a balance between the contrasting emotions (cups-hence the assumption) these varied objects/symbols in life symbolize and that if the person starts to rest only on what the good omens indicate, the bad omens will soon take over. Just my 2 cents on this card.

Anyways, that’s it. My discussion for this week!

Cheers :)

alyna

discussion for week 09-15

I will share my experience with meditating on a card:
This was my first experience with meditation, i would have to agree. I never did that kind of thing before.
How I did it: I switched the lights off except a candle, I laid down with my eyes closed and started counting, 1-5 inhale, 1-3 hold, 5-1 exhale. After a minute i could concentrate on the ticking of the clock, so i went with the ticking as my counter. after few moments it seemed like the clock was inside my head only. It dimmed at one point too, like I could not hear the ticking at all. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the clock. At that moment I felt like I'm not here, I'm in a colder and darker room, near a glass window from where I can see the city lights below, I don't know why but I saw hues of blue around me in that room, like I'm lying down on the couch in that room while its dark outside.Things appear blu-ish in dark. Next I could hear voices, too many, speaking at once, like a noise coming from far away. I flew open my eyes and I was back in my room where I can see the curtains and door. In the very same state, i picked up one card, it was the Justice card. The first thing that took my eyes was the red curtain or piece of cloth whatever is hanging behind him. See those lines at the top of that clothe right above his head. To me its looked like two tigers attacking each other. I look at his face, he looks rude, he looks serious and scary. I look back at the curtain, its actually desert mountains, lots of sand there. I look at his sword and his balance, his face somehow looks softer now, the clock is ticking and in my head its rhyming, tic-toc, tic-toc, soft-er, soft-er. For one second I thought he was dropping the balance and throwing the sword away and coming to hug me with his arms open.

Recalling it after that it feels like a lesson, like he is telling me "see, if you are capable of looking good in people, they will look the good in you" (i thought his face was softer and he was going to hug me".

That was my experience with the Justice card!

Kosjitov

SH Exchange Posted!

Good day everyone!

Your exchange is waiting here. Don't forget that exchange and feedback must be complete by the 30th!

pacificwaters

@alyna.... How long did your meditating experience last?? I have never tried it up till now. Definitely intend to give it a try someday..

@Kosji, thanks for setting it up...actually looking forward to it as well :)

alyna

Re: pacificwaters

@alyna.... How long did your meditating experience last?? I have never tried it up till now. Definitely intend to give it a try someday..

It was so fascinating, because I never looked at Justice card like that, like a lesson to learn from although it is my Birth Card as well besides I have True Node in 7th house which is natural house for Libra, I never really understood it before.

It lasted for 15-20 minutes.

Jes

question

Which week are we up to? i think I have missed a card of the week and a discussion?

pacificwaters

:grin:

This is the third week starting.....I think you missed it last week... :) :)

This is the thread Kosji started for our exchange... I guess you must have checked it out.....

Jes

Ok, yep I have missed last weeks. i'll get busy.

Card a week - week 2

King of Coins
This King stands on a balcony with a gold carved ledge. He has great green and gold trimmed robes, holds a large coin and has the sunshin pouring in through the right corner of the card. There are two green pillars, decorated with gold vines.
There is a symbol of Earth in a oval decoration on the balcony ledge.

This King speaks of Wealth, but also of hard work. His shoulders are wide and his arms show slight muscle beneath the robes. His face is weather worn and his hands seem.... well powerful but well used.

A well established man, with an earthy mind. A hard worker, he believes in respect and discipline. He is a loyal and caring friend to those he lets in. He is a motivator when it comes to getting things done and someone who can be relied upon to get things done thoroughly. A generous man who always helps those in need, but hates to be helped in return. Stubborn yet charming and funny. He makes great business decisions and appreciates how he got to where he is now. He doesn't forget his roots, but he loves his gadgets and luxuries.

There you go, my take on King of Coins.