symbols coming to you

danieljuk

On Saturday I did a meditation and asked for any symbols or anything to come my way. It was during Earth Hour and in a room with just candle light. I wanted to use tarot or oracles or scry but didn't want to go and get them, was feeling a little lazy and the rest of the house was dark.

so I just relaxed on a sofa and just wanted to see what came up, I wasn't expecting anything! I have never really had symbols and hardly relaxed or meditated at all but really quickly had the image of a Deer. I sometimes get audio messages and associated with it I was told to look up it's meaning on the internet. I can't remember all of the message, I should have written it down instantly but it was apparently a symbol that was very important to me, to give me hope or rebirth (?). They clearly know me because I look up symbols a lot online and different perceived meanings. But there was definitely a message to look up it's characteristics but the Deer was a totally random symbol that just came in to my head.

I had a look at 'Deers' today as a power animal, totem and also as a dream symbol and what struck me is that it really fitted me as a person. I wonder if this is my animal totem (I don't really know much about this area). The characteristics are that they are intuitive, gentle, sensitive, vigilant. There is a vulnerability and femininity to them.

I am not sure what the message is with the symbol but I haven't really thought about Deer associated with me ever before. I wondered if anyone had other ideas. I think it could be able being more independent, finding more serenity. I also wonder if it's a message that a Deer is graceful, sensitive and intuitive, they can't change that! it's the animal they are. I often fight that I am those things if it makes sense.

I found this much easier than scrying! they came to me so fast and easily! I really think it's a new spiritual area opened up by doing more intuitive work. all very interesting to me :)

celticnoodle

I recently looked up deer as a totem animal to get an idea of the message it might have had for my sil, as he had some deer come up very close to him not long ago. He held out his hand, palm up, and the deer came up and smelled his palm--that is how close they were! He did not have any food, but felt that was a gesture he could make to them that wouldn't seem threatening. they all just stood there looking at him. I believe there were 4 total.

Anyway, I felt it was a definite message for him and looked it up (as asked) and remember that deer do symbolize gentleness and grace. I also recall that it is a totem for those who are intuitive and sensitive-(and my sil is also psychic-but represses it). This sounds much like you--or at least what I 'feel' you are, as I only know you from A.T. You seem like a very gentle and sensitive person, and I know you are very intuitive as well as psychic. I also recall it saying something about being able to change things quickly-or something like that and also determined. Which brought laughter to both my daughter and I, because my son in law is VERY determined! (Aries-:rolleyes:) and no disrespect meant to other Aries out there....

I hope this helps you, but I also have another idea for you that may work to see if the deer is indeed your totem animal.

I took a class from a shaman once on finding your totem animal. She led us into a meditation and then instructed us to 'walk' in a beautiful field to a large tree. here we found a large hole in the trunk of the tree and slid down, down, down into the lower world.

From there, we walked till we met a body of water and we jumped in the water and swam downstream for awhile then we washed ashore to land on the other side of this water. There, we asked permission to meet up with our totem animal and we waited to see what happened (while she was drumming and also rattling her rattle). She instructed us to pay attention to all the animals that came to us--as we may see many , but as soon as we saw one particular animal 3 separate times, that this is our power animal.

I think I remember this correctly and put it down properly--but I'm sure you can also google directions for this as it is a very common meditation to do. We were actually looking for the power animals of our partners, but she did say we could use this to find our own as well. Interestingly enough, I met up immediately with my own power animal that I knew of and he went with me as I continued to search for my partners. when I came out of the meditation, and shared with her the power animal that I saw for her--she could readily accept it as she already knew it was her power animal. The funniest thing was she also met up with THIS same power animal while searching for mine--and she also came out with my power animal! We were both so surprised with that. So, apparently this meditation works very well.

If you have a drumming cd, all the better, but if not, check you tube or perhaps you can buy one from I-Tunes. I've purchased a few myself off I-tunes for a rather good price. If you choose to try this method, I hope it works for you--you'll have to keep us posted!

Richard

My totem animal is the red-tailed hawk. I know that I'm predatory, so that's nothing new. My sun sign is Aries (the belligerent ram), and the day of my birth is Tusday (Mars), and my Chinese year is Tiger. So if I'm nasty in the forums, don't take it personally. I can't fight destiny. :) I'm really a nice guy.

celticnoodle

My totem animal is the red-tailed hawk. I know that I'm predatory, so that's nothing new. My sun sign is Aries (the belligerent ram), and the day of my birth is Tusday (Mars), and my Chinese year is Tiger. So if I'm nasty in the forums, don't take it personally. I can't fight destiny. :) I'm really a nice guy.

:laugh: LRichard, I had to laugh at your post. My sil has the red-tailed hawk as a power animal too. I recently found out that if you have the red tailed hawk for a power animal, you also have the Great Horned Owl. Did you know this? These two animals 'work' together, though independently of each other. I found that very interesting. I find most Aries to be very determined people and more bullheaded then nasty. I'm sure you're really a nice guy! :D

Can I ask how you found out the red-tailed hawk is your power animal?

Mycroft

...really quickly had the image of a Deer. I sometimes get audio messages and associated with it I was told to look up it's meaning on the internet. I can't remember all of the message, I should have written it down instantly but it was apparently a symbol that was very important to me, to give me hope or rebirth (?). They clearly know me because I look up symbols a lot online and different perceived meanings. But there was definitely a message to look up it's characteristics but the Deer was a totally random symbol that just came in to my head.
The thing that came to my mind is that the two most memorable depictions of deer in popular culture both resonate with the idea of a type of rebirth. In Walt Disney's Bambi (1942) the young hero is lead home by his father the Great Prince after his mother is killed, and undergoes a rite of passage into adulthood. In Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer the re-framing of Rudolph's bright red nose from liability to asset causes Rudolph to be transformed from an outcast to a saviour.

Richard

:laugh: LRichard, I had to laugh at your post. My sil has the red-tailed hawk as a power animal too. I recently found out that if you have the red tailed hawk for a power animal, you also have the Great Horned Owl. Did you know this? These two animals 'work' together, though independently of each other. I found that very interesting. I find most Aries to be very determined people and more bullheaded then nasty. I'm sure you're really a nice guy! :D

Can I ask how you found out the red-tailed hawk is your power animal?
Thanks! Oh wow! I love great horned owls. About the red-tailed hawk, a woman friend who was into new age and Native American stuff told me that. I'm not sure where it came from. I do know that my heart skips a beat whenever I see one, and when camping in wilderness areas, the whistle-like call of hawks always makes me feel very safe and secure.

celticnoodle

Y.W. Yeah, I love to see the red tailed hawks myself too. I use to have a regular customer (for tarot card readings) who is an American Indian and her "Indian" name was something that included Red Hawk, for the Red Tail hawks. Apparently it was known that this is her totem animal too. Whenever she was about to get in touch with me for a reading, I'd all of a sudden would see red tail hawks EVERYWHERE! After this happening a few times, I came to realize that I'd see many of them whenever she would be getting in touch with me (always with in the same week of my seeing them.) So, when they begin showing up to me--I mean, I'd see MANY constantly--I would look for her email/phone message. :laugh:

She also thought this was interesting that I was always expecting her call--but when I told her it was more like the red tail came to let me know she was going to soon requesting another reading--she really laughed about that.

spiraling

For the past year, a recurring pull/theme for me is Death (both upright and reversed): that is, the need for me to consciously face components of my existence that have become a festering, psychological liability , that need to be properly examined, then transformed/transmuted. Purged, even.

One day I went out for a walk, and a huge, black colored butterfly swept forward past my right, and ahead of me. I had not experienced nor seen such elegance in years, really-- besides having never considered such coloration existed for a butterfly.

I quote,
"The Black Butterfly symbolizes new life from an old one. Seeing that the color black is a strong yet subtle color, the Black Butterfly symbolizes the new strong but subtle life after a period of transformation."

It's definitely been a process for me, and is continuing.

Milfoil

I had a look at 'Deers' today as a power animal, totem and also as a dream symbol and what struck me is that it really fitted me as a person. I wonder if this is my animal totem (I don't really know much about this area). The characteristics are that they are intuitive, gentle, sensitive, vigilant. There is a vulnerability and femininity to them.

Instinctively you knew what to do . . . go LOOK for the information, everything and anything about Deer. Can you recognise what kind of deer it was, male or female, large or small, colour, did it have antlers or not? How are deer seen in other cultures? Ancient deer goddess of Siberia, Artemis/Diana, the stag and the wild hunt. Many cultures from Japan, through the Eurasian Steppe, to north America see Deer as the great giver. The one who voluntarily gave of herself so that we can live. The sacred hunt is a big part of that showing how honourable we are and how deserving.

You also knew instinctively that writing down any message, image or information directly after a visionary experience is of paramount importance. Next time you will have a notebook and pencil handy to do just that. Finding out for yourself all about Deer, where they live, how they live, what predates on them, how they alter the landscape, how 1st Nation people use all parts of the deer, what honour they hold in those societies (ie clan guardian and what that means, or the Spirit of a cardinal direction etc). This seemingly small image of a deer that came to you, will open up a lifetime of study if you choose. The online sources of 'totem' information can give you a bit of a start but they often miss the most profound and deeply connective information which only you can find so don't stop there.

Deer, Reindeer especially, were known to our ancestors as pathfinders. We followed the migrating herds, as do the Nenet people still, so follow the hoof prints and see where they lead you . . . . :)

Blessings on your journey of discovery.