God??

mingbop

Just an idle nosy question :) - Who/what do you see as God? For you is it mother nature? or the christian god of the bible? or some other kind of higher being?

BrightEye

For me, God is not so much an entity as a state of being. I feel closest to 'God' when I'm being creative, especially when I draw and when I dream. I like to use the ancient Greek concept of 'eudaimonia' for this:

'Eudaimonia is an abstract noun derived from eu meaning “well” and daimon (daemon), which refers to a minor deity or a guardian spirit. Eudaimonia implies a positive and divine state of being that man is able to strive toward and possibly reach. A literal view of eudaimonia means achieving a state of being similar to benevolent deity, or being protected and looked after by a benevolent deity. As this would be considered the most positive state to be in, the word is often translated as 'happiness' although incorporating the divine nature of the word extends the meaning to also include the concepts of being fortunate, or blessed.' (Wikipedia)

AJ

no god/gods/goddesses at all. What a relief.

Briar Rose

In my opinion I feel there is an energy force.

In my experience with past life regression (session experience) and reading his books on case studies (on over 7,000 case studies), no one in the state of hypnosis has yet said they have had contact with this particular energy force (commonly refered to as The One) and for most people, they refer the name God.

From what I have read in MN's book and a few others, the souls that have been in the spirit world, and do not go back to eathly life, or life on other planets anymore, tell other souls of this energy force, and that messages can get to this energy force, but it has to go up through souls like a chain of command (sort of).

I feel that at this time, regardless of knowing, or realizing through regression sessions that you, me or anyone else is an old soul- we're all still very young souls in that we know so little of the 'great beyond' enough to be very factual. I feel that as time goes on we will know of these wonderful questions.

We're in a time of transformation where we are stretching the surface and experiencing what has never been written before. I feel there was a time when mankind first recorded civilization (like the Mayans, and the Egyptians) and wrote about their experiences and their 'other worlds' as they commonalty referred to it as.

Sometimes, I personally feel that those cultures might have come from another planet, and that information was lost. It is such an deep study. That is why I created a thread about channeling. It's on the same lines really. It's, "who's out there, and were do we come from, and what makes us tick?"

In my science text book (college level) energy never dies. Since our body is an energy force, when our body dies, our energy has to be transformed into something.

The crowned one

Sometimes it hurts me to say this but; there is no God. They all seem to be reflections of the moral templates both good and bad of the inventing culture. In my life I have believed in God in spite of my "Atheist" up bringing, and in those times those beliefs have served me well for the specific needs that generated those beliefs.

I can see nothing in nature that would show me there is a God, but I see evidence of of people taking conviction as fact, the fantasy world as existential, opinions as reality. I think our Gods fall into these categories.

Zephyros

I don't believe in any sort of God. I do have many ideas about the "God concept" such as zero, unity, a singularity, etc. though. Even in my esoteric studies I prefer to skirt the issue and treat the idea of God as an idea, and nothing more, since it is useful for me to do so. There are several quotes from the Bible I sort of do agree with, provided one purges them of religious intent. God is the ultimate x factor, completely unpredictable and unknown, hence it can be a "take it or leave it" kind of deal. Maybe every person makes up their own gods embodying their own inherent attributes removed from all other considerations (their version of perfection), and find strength in that.

That being said, there were times in my life when my soul cried out begging and it was answered; I found strength, support and the will to overcome. I don't know what that means.

Chiska

Sometimes it hurts me to say this but; there is no God. They all seem to be reflections of the moral templates both good and bad of the inventing culture. In my life I have believed in God in spite of my "Atheist" up bringing, and in those times those beliefs have served me well for the specific needs that generated those beliefs.

I can see nothing in nature that would show me there is a God, but I see evidence of of people taking conviction as fact, the fantasy world as existential, opinions as reality. I think our Gods fall into these categories.

TCO, you have expressed with such eloquence similar thoughts as my own.

mingbop

Is Nature not a god in itself? Getting away from the usual interp of the word "god" then... who do you see as the big boss :)? Who is in charge? Where does the buck stop?

BrightEye

Is Nature not a god in itself? Getting away from the usual interp of the word "god" then... who do you see as the big boss :)? Who is in charge? Where does the buck stop?

I don't think nature is god but it's not separate from god either. I would agree with the notion that god is energy, the energy that is in us and surrounds us. It's part of us/nature.

gregory

I am not a "believer" but if there is something fit to be called god, I think it would be "the light within" that Quakers seek. Not something external to us, and CERTAINLY not something that runs everything, created it all, sits in judgement on us, needs to be prayed to, and the rest.

ETA @mingbop - the buck stops with us. Anything else and it means we abrogate responsibility for our own actions.

But if we search for the light within ourselves, it will lead us to be the best that we can, I think. Why should the buck stop with anyone else ? We are the architects of our own lives. Sure, stuff happens - but we get to deal with it. If we believe that some being up there did whatever we don't like, we just end up with praying to that same being to make it go away. A hiding to nothing. I refuse to buy that.