Tarocchi Celtici anyone? :)

Mi-Shell

For the last 6 weeks I have been quietly working with the beautiful and enigmatic Tarocchi Celtici by Laura Tuan.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtici/
As a member of the "Deck of the Month" club I have looked at all the Minor cards and have written my take on them into the study forum.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1547828
I was fascinated to discover, that at least half of the card images feature faithful renditions of actual archaeological artefacts discovered in graves of Celtic war lords, leaders and women of high status.
Take a look at card 72 and the golden boat:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=197586
... or the card 54 and its magnificent statues:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=198852

I am sure, some of you guys have the deck and maybe you feel like joining in with a look at the Mayor Arcana - or share your impressions of the deck here!
I would love to here from you! :)

karen0205

I love this deck and would love to participate in a study group.
Are you translating the book? Is that how you are discovering
what the images in the cards are? I was going to start that
myself. The illustrations are very detailed.
The deck is right next to me sitting on my scanner. I keep
taking the cards out and looking them over.

She has done several decks, I am looking into finding some
of the others.

Kathy123

Mi-shell I am so glad that you took our deck of the month on to bigger and better things with your deck :)

Mi-Shell

I love this deck and would love to participate in a study group.
Are you translating the book? Is that how you are discovering
what the images in the cards are? I was going to start that
myself. The illustrations are very detailed.
The deck is right next to me sitting on my scanner. I keep
taking the cards out and looking them over.

She has done several decks, I am looking into finding some
of the others.

No, Karen, I do not speak a single word of Italian :(
I am interpreting the cards as to what I see in them, what I know and am continuing to learn about Celtic art and life ways and according to the magnificent archaeological finds drawn on many of the cards.
There of course are the Ogham symbols and the Celtic Tree alphabet, that also figure prominently in the interpretations.
I have not taken into consideration the Italian Key words either.... Lately I do not even "see" them any more on the cards. I have no idea, ifffff they pertain to Tarot or to Ogham or the scene on the deck.

Another deck of Laura Tuan, that I have is the Native American and her Native Oracle deck with very similar imagery.

karen0205

Would you be interested in the translated pages from the book?

Mi-Shell

Oh!
Yes! sure!
That would be lovely!
There are quite a few things I am wondering about - like the "strange symbols" drawn onto several of the cards....

PathWalker

I have the deck, and the book in Italian I think (although I once had a french copy too).

I must be honest and say that whilst I love the illustrative style I haven't given the time to it, to study and work out what I think of each card, and what they would mean to me in a reading. It's a deck that made me realise that I do rely (perhaps too much) on the book to help me with less obvious decks, at least to begin with.

Maybe you are inspiring me to try harder :)

karen0205

I like to have the book, sometimes the artist had something totally different
in mind from what I thought. I like to compare and see what I got out of
the card and what I was supposed to get out of it, lol. I bet there would be
quite a few artists who are surprised by what readers pick up from their
illustrations that they didn't put in their on purpose. Then there are other decks
that I never bother to read the book, just go by the cards. Especially when
they have to be translated. It's a lot of work. you do learn a lot about
the cards though that way. I would like to find out more from this artist
about the illustrations. They are really nice. Any thoughts on the card stock?

Mi-Shell

Card stock:
To tell the truth, when I first un-packed my deck - that I got from the trading forum, I thought - Oh, it is a home made deck printed on card stock. I thought so especially because of the plain backs....
Gregory then told me, that this is the original.
Knowing that I now quite like it, it does not have a "commercial feel" like many other decks.
I just hope it holds up well.....

gregory

I have it too and I WILL join in - but I can't at the moment as I don't have it with me, as you know :) I'll even translate some if no-one else has by then.

And yes, it is like cardboard. But it feels good :)