Tarot and the "mood" of the question

KMilliron

I thought I answered you're question quite nicely. Nobody quotes the emo kid.... *sigh*

But I do think the answer "You'll have kdis when you're ready" DID answer you're question, becuase your friend was, in fact, not ready.

MareSaturni

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to answer your post in a different post, so the last one wouldn't be too long! :)

KMilliron said:
Tarot knows what it's talking about, and will answer your questions thusly. The more you know (especially if your job is to inform, which I would say is the tarot's case) the more you should share. Yes or no just can't cover as much.

A yes/no question doesn't need to be simply answered with a "yes" or a "no". This is a limitation of the reader when answering, not the question.I f the reader has the necessary skills, a yes/no questions allows some interesting exploration before giving the verdict.

KMilliron said:
Now back to the original question in question; I would say it's in the readers perspective, because tarot cards are something you make your own. The sitter's position on the question won't be as consequential. Just one more reason why, as a reader, you must try to remain objective.

I don't know if I understood what you meant but yes, I suppose that the tarot will answer according to your own vision of it. So if the Empress means pregnancy for good or bad in the reader's system, then she'll always point to that regardless of the intention behind the question (whether the pregnancy was wanted or not).

Amanda

I think it can do both, and it depends on a reader's personal preference/feelings...

The Empress could be saying, Yes. It could also be providing the "mood" of comfort needed if the person would be disappointed with this answer and talking about motherhood being a beautiful thing. It could also depend on the deck imagery to represent the "mood" as well- for instance, the Empress in the Gilded doesn't look pregnant at all and may even be hinting at using a pregnancy test because she's holding a female instrument in her hands that is constructed of both a O and a + which are typically found in pregnancy tests - so in a way this card could be providing comfort by saying "No, check it out yourself and you'll see that everything is alright with you." However, the Empress in the DruidCraft is very full and obviously pregnant.

There are just a lot of variables in the mix when it comes to Yes/No questions, and I think either of your conclusions on the matter could be possible.

KMilliron

Amanda_04 said:
I think it can do both, and it depends on a reader's personal preference/feelings...

The Empress could be saying, Yes. It could also be providing the "mood" of comfort needed if the person would be disappointed with this answer and talking about motherhood being a beautiful thing. It could also depend on the deck imagery to represent the "mood" as well- for instance, the Empress in the Gilded doesn't look pregnant at all and may even be hinting at using a pregnancy test because she's holding a female instrument in her hands that is constructed of both a O and a + which are typically found in pregnancy tests - so in a way this card could be providing comfort by saying "No, check it out yourself and you'll see that everything is alright with you." However, the Empress in the DruidCraft is very full and obviously pregnant.

There are just a lot of variables in the mix when it comes to Yes/No questions, and I think either of your conclusions on the matter could be possible.
The empress in the necronomicon is pregnant, but also stepping on babies. What would that mean? :D

Amanda

KMilliron said:
The empress in the necronomicon is pregnant, but also stepping on babies. What would that mean? :D

I would be very worried if I got that card for the question, "Am I pregnant?" :laugh: It kind of looks like, "Yes, and prepare for a lifetime of hell." :D

ETA: Looks like you will barely even have time to shave your legs.

KMilliron

Amanda_04 said:
I would be very worried if I got that card for the question, "Am I pregnant?" :laugh: It kind of looks like, "Yes, and prepare for a lifetime of hell." :D
Win.

First time I saw this card I imagined the figure screaming "HULK SMASH!"
Though if I asked if I was pregnant and I got that card I'd interpret it as "Chica you're dealing with too many kids as it is"

Another example of how readers differ I suppose. Haha.

Amanda

KMilliron said:
Win.

First time I saw this card I imagined the figure screaming "HULK SMASH!"
Though if I asked if I was pregnant and I got that card I'd interpret it as "Chica you're dealing with too many kids as it is"

Another example of how readers differ I suppose. Haha.

Actually that was my first thought. ;)

jaj

Marina said:
...a friend, who is a beginner tarot student, came with this situation to me. She asked me if "The Empress" was telling her that everything was fine, or if it was telling her that she was indeed pregnant...
Marina, receiving the Empress card for a question of "Am I pregnant?" would certainly imply a pregnancy to me. Since your friend is a beginner, I am wondering if there is some factor we do not know:

-- being a beginner, did she actually draw the II High Priestess, a much more sterile figure, and in her fear and beginner's confusion, see the III Empress?

-- did she actually ask the question as stated, "Am I pregnant?" or did she phrase the question in another similar way?

-- medically, is there some way she could have been pregnant at the time of the question, then taken one of the herbal abortifacients (wikipedia identifies brewer's yeast, vitamin C, bitter melon, wild carrot, blue cohosh, pennyroyal, nutmeg, mugwort, papaya latex, vervain, common rue, ergot, saffron and tansy) and expelled the tiny fertilized egg unnoticed?

-- or some other unknown?

I'm just amazed that the tarot would answer with the Empress if the querent was not pregnant. Thank you all for indulging these questions.

DownwardSpiral

Amanda_04 said:

The Empress could be saying, Yes. It could also be providing the "mood" of comfort needed if the person would be disappointed with this answer and talking about motherhood being a beautiful thing.

Thinking you may be pregnant and not wanting to be can cause ALOT of mixed feelings about the whole situation.

The Empress could also simply be representing the aspects of motherhood and asking the bigger question: Yes or no.....would being pregnant really be such a bad thing?

Just a note here: I knew a girl that had her period for the first 6 months of her pregnancy. As you can imagine it took her a little while before she realised she was pregnant. (this was way before home pregnancy tests existed)

I just wanted to add here in response to jaj I was also wondering if she was in fact pregnant at the time of the reading. Many pregnancies end without the woman ever realising she was pregnant.