Tarot as a therapy tool

seeker1969

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using Tarot to help a bipolar teen (girl) to process some of the moods and emotions that go along with that disorder? I think something "light and cheerful" could be used to great advantage. I would love to hear some feedback on this...
Thanks,
Mar

SunChariot

I'd be cautious of that personally. Since I know nothing about being bipolar. I certainly would not consider Tarot as a treatment for it, or able to replace appropriate treatment. If a client came to me and asked me to help them with that I would definitely tell them that Tarot is not a cure for that and they likely need professional treatment.

If Tarot can help with that, I would be afraid to get involved without consulting a therapist on that and asking them that, if it can help and how it can be used to help. I am sure there are places where you could ask online about that.

Tarot can help us process feelings and emotions, but again I know nothign about being bipolar so I don't know if or how it could help people who have that. I don't think I personally would feel comfortable trying to help with that. Maybe there is a therapist out there who is also a reader who would be better suited to it. When we don't know enough about something like this we might inadvertently say something that might make things worse. I think I would personally leave this to professionals.

Babs

MareSaturni

seeker1969 said:
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using Tarot to help a bipolar teen (girl) to process some of the moods and emotions that go along with that disorder? I think something "light and cheerful" could be used to great advantage. I would love to hear some feedback on this...

If you are a therapist, and know tarot well, it could help in the treatment, but not be the treatment itself. Bipolarity is a chemical problem, and needs to be treated with medication and therapy. Tarot could be a complement.

Now if you are not a therapist, then don't do it. You can't do "therapy" without being a licensed therapist, it's against the laws and could get you in serious trouble...

seeker1969

Thank you for your honesty and advice. I of course know that Tarot is not a cure for bipolar, she has all the traditional treatments and professionals and is doing very well with her regular therapy, I am more interested in her being able to find a way to see things in a different and more positive way...I would definitely not do anything without speaking to her therapist. Perhaps it's not a great idea, I am still not sure.
Thank you Sulis for not bouncing me, I had no idea that there would be a problem. I will look into a subscription...I wonder what else I might be missing! :)
Thank you,
Mar

Jaqueline

My fear would be that not all the cards are positive. What happens when, you're hoping for positive & she draws the tower - yikes - or some people react to death like they are going to die tomorrow. Could be fraught with booby traps.

seeker1969

very true...I guess all decks will have some sort of negative cards...good point.

Tarot Orat

I'm bipolar, and use the cards as therapy myself. I haven't had a serious depression or mania in years, thanks to very good doctors and the right medications; I still have high and low periods, though. When I am depressed, seeing negative cards is especially difficult - on the other hand, though, when I'm manic, seeing all positive cards is just as bad. One problem I have with mania is that I feel like everything is terrific, I am terrific, I can do anything, etc., and having a negative card turn up reminds me that things are *not* always terrific, that I'm not totally fantastic and immune to anything bad ever happening again. Sometimes I need that sobering-up. Whereas getting the Sun or 10 of Cups during a mania would just reinforce my over-elation.

That said, using a deck that is all negative during mania or all positive during depression would not be beneficial either, I think. When my brain is giving me only one message, counteracting it with nothing but one message just reinforces the idea that the world is nothing but black and white, there's no "middle way" - and the middle is where I need to be. I have to feel, and accept, both good and bad.

Using a deck that encompasses both of those is therefore helpful to me, and especially doing spreads with a large number of cards, which usually means that there will be a balance of positive and negative. I've never done a 10-card spread that was all negative, for instance, when I draw that many cards some of them are bound to be more positive or neutral. I need balance, not simply cheering up or bringing down.

And I have to say that the most negative reading I ever had, with very few positive cards and the Devil and Tower in outcome positions, turned out to indicate one of the great turning points of my life. I faced the devil and the walls came tumbling down. I wasn't happy when I got those cards but in retrospect they were the most accurate reading ever, and their being negative cards actually indicated a positive result.

gregory

I am assuming you are not a therapist ? In which case - PLEASE don't attempt therapy - through tarot or any other means. Therapy needs to be practised by a properly trained and licensed professional.

If she wants a deck - sure, give her one and leave her alone with it. (Even just give her one if you like.) If she finds ways to work through stuff wit them - great. But it would have to come from within her, not from someone with no training trying to show her stuff.

Don't try and lead her in any way. You could do more harm than good. (We have mental illness in the family and also a trained professional.... she would say the same. Indeed, she has, many times. A THERAPIST using tarot cards as part of therapy is a whole different thing.)

Tarot Orat

gregory said:
If she wants a deck - sure, give her one and leave her alone with it. (Even just give her one if you like.) If she finds ways to work through stuff wit them - great. But it would have to come from within her, not from someone with no training trying to show her stuff.

Agree with your whole post! Regarding this particular paragraph, that's what I do with Tarot - use it on my own for self-therapy, not with a professional therapist. I also go to a professional therapist of course, I need to, but my Tarot work is personal only. If it brings up something I need to address with my therapist I'll talk to her about it. But I've been doing it for 16 years and have a pretty good handle on what I'm doing, I wouldn't recommend it to a teenager who's unfamiliar with Tarot.

I do want to re-emphasize, by the way, the manic side of bipolar disorder; my worst mania was actually more destructive to my life than any of my major depressions. Frankly I could've used some more negative cards then!

seeker1969

Once again, thank you for your thoughts. I am not a therapist only her mother trying to help her find more ways to be able to help herself. She is involved with all kinds of different therapies and it seems that the ones that offer her something visual work better for her. The therapist she is with now is very open to alternative therapy methods-she (and I) believe that there is no one right way. My daughter is the one who expressed an interest in the Spirit of Flowers deck and asked if she could have it for her birthday. That got me thinking that it may be useful to her as a tool...since that is how I use Tarot for myself. She is a pretty intuitive girl and I would love for her to find ways to work with that-but no, I would never force her or try to do anything harmful to her. She is at the age now where she is understanding that she has to be able to help herself with some of the moods-I just wanted to hear a few opinions before I made up my mind if she can have the deck or not. I think mostly she thought the pictures were great and there were children on the cards also. Maybe I have read into it to far and she just likes the pictures.
Thank you all again,
Mar