Tarot in India

Haunted

Tarot could use a little more diversity, that's for sure! Kazanlar is an attractive deck, but I'm hoping for even more...

The other India thread lists some decks that do depict deities including Ganesha, Laxshmi, and Shiva (Sophie-David includes a link above). Eastarot and Sirona (and anyone else!), any comments on such decks?

ashtoreth

Rusty Neon said:
The cited newindpress.com article refers to "pakshijosiyam".

"Surprisingly, Tarot has become quite popular with many people in Chennai where astrology, palmistry and 'pakshijosiyam' have always held fort."

Anyone know what the Indian astrological science of "pakshijosiyam" is?

Darn it! The link tells me i have to register to access the archives! gah! I think i will, sounds like it might be an interesting article. Pakshijyosiyam is a sanskrit word, if i translate it literally: Pakshi = bird, and jyosiyam is to divine or scry. !! wow wonder what that means!!! something about..divining.. through birds?
OH! :| I think i know, i think this has to do with those numerous fortune tellers that are very easy to find in india on street corners = They have a parrot in a cage, and several cards. You ask a question, the parrot struts out of the cage, and picks a card and it seems that the card will have your future on it. I've never tried that, though. :p I think i will!! hehe.

Love,
Ashtoreth.

ashtoreth

oops, sorry i did not wait to read the whole thread to answer that question, :p I didn't think another indian tarot reader would have chanced upon this thread before I did.:p

My apologies,

Ashtoreth.

BodhiSeed

Krai,
I really like the image of Ardhnarishvara as Temperance. Lovely deck!

karenquilter

Is the deck already in print? How does one get a copy?
K

nisaba

Demonesse said:
Mmmm. I wouldn't know about that. From the viewpoint of most Hindus I know, 'twould probably be somewhat sacriligeous to put the representations of divinities (especially the major gods/goddesses) on Tarot cards.
Really? My understanding is that that is more a Muslim thing. Hindus seem to love representations of their Gods on everything: temple walls, statues, shop fronts, painted buses ...

MoonGypsy

Namaste, Krai!
i am thrilled to the bone! The sample scans are ecstatically beautiful. i long to see more and to one day hold the full set in my grateful hands.

Om Shanti,
MoonGypsy