'Tarot' meaning 'hole-maker'?

Teheuti

That's the first layer ;)
So, if we strip away the layer of "card game" (the only documented reason for which the "triumphs" of Tarot were created) then we have glue, paper and paint upon which images are sorted into five recognizable groups, four of which consist of two sub-groups (numbers and courts) that find parallels in each of the four.

ravenest

Okay, my mistake ... those are the first LAYERS .

ravenest

What ever happened to the little box with the pegs that made holes?

Or (in the context of the thread subject) are we seeing the CARD game as the regolith or the bed rock?

ravenest

Not a game.

I posed the question in response to a statement about what some consider as valid expressions of modern tarot as 'layers of stuff' and since I consider it all 'layers of stuff'' I am wondering what is at the centre of the onion when the layers are peeled off?

Goodness, do I have to go back and explain the first posts and the perceptions and questions posed about the hole-maker?

Which I posted about above. But then you didn't answer and asked me if I am playing a game and then asked me back the same question I am asking.

But it was never a question I was asking you. But I am asking you a question now. Or trying to;

and again trying to return to the theme of THIS post ... if I understand it ...

The question is , in light of your recent comments;

What ever happened to the little box with the pegs that made holes?

Or (in the context of the thread subject) are we seeing the CARD game as the regolith or the bed rock?

Teheuti

I thought I was answering the question posed here (as I quoted) and your valid response to my comment that a card game is a layer.

I would really like to know what tarot is without the layers of stuff.

Could you please explain that to me ( keep in mind I consider numbers, meanings, , suit meaning and association, all those different strange picture on the cards that don't have a suit {and actually why are there two different decks minor and major in one tarot} and all that being effected by intuition as layers of stuff. )
I don't know anything about "a box with pegs that made holes," so I can't answer that.

ravenest

I thought I was answering the question posed here (as I quoted) and your valid response to my comment that a card game is a layer.

see post 39 …the original ‘layers of stuff’ comment from arya ishtar.

See post 40 My question to HER about the subject matter in post 39.

I don’t get an answer from arya Ishtar so I suggest one for myself <sounds of crickets> = hello … are you going to reply and answer me … <listens> … nothing but crickets

I don't know anything about "a box with pegs that made holes," so I can't answer that.

See posts 1 … and the tread title

Who is playing a game? If you know nothing of what has been discussed in the tread topic why are you posting here? I mean I don’t mind but YOU seem to get uptight about people that do that and don’t remain on topic.

I ask again what I wrote in another forum ; is Mercury retrograde?

Teheuti

Re: box with pegs:
If you know nothing of what has been discussed in the tread topic why are you posting here? I mean I don’t mind but YOU seem to get uptight about people that do that and don’t remain on topic.
I did a search on this thread and read through the posts (again), and I still can't find "box with pegs" except for your mention of it (but without any explanation of what you mean).

However, here is some more recent research on the topic of the etymology of Tarot and Tarocchi. It includes a discussion of the process of stamping holes in the gold surface of the cards to create patterns (similar to the pitting found on some kinds of oranges).

http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=220&lng=ENG