Tarot RESOM

Rhapsodin

It arrived today. Simply…magnificent and meticulous art, gorgeous to look at and at a size that makes it easier to appreciate. Jumbo sized, says Gamecrafter (I was fortunately in time to order in advance). In passing, I notice that Justice and Strength have been swapped putting Strength at XI, differing from his other decks I have.

Now I need to spend time with the deck.

Everyone should have one!

:)

rachelcat

I agree! Everyone should have one!

I didn't know anything about the art style, so I Wikipedia-ed and found these guys. One of them is keeping an eye on the Fool . . .

Attachments

• 596px-Kolo_Moser_-_Bilderbuch9_-_1904.jpg
    596px-Kolo_Moser_-_Bilderbuch9_-_1904.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 240

Rhapsodin

Right on. I searched images for Wiener Werkstätte textiles and the connection becomes apparent. I hadn't heard of this "school" before, either. Got a free art appreciation session with the deck!

Very easy on the eye.

:)

blue_fusion

Yes I'm found out. lol I'm attaching some card images with their corresponding "inspirations."

I got interested in the Wiener Werkstaette after finding a pretty inexpensive second-hand art book on their movement some years back. I did try to do a WW-themed deck, but, it's currently on hold owing to me having lost the book.

And, for those interested, and because I really want to promote her art: Ditha Moser has at least 2 decks I think which are still currently in production. One is a Tarock deck (the Joker card of which was the inspiration for the Magician card of the Resom) called the Jugendstil tarock, I think. the illustrations are wonderfully vintage. The other is a Whist deck, with very geometric art (which somehow reminds me of some 1950s stuff).

Attachments

• RESOM10.jpg
    RESOM10.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 204
  • RESOM09.jpg
    RESOM09.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 197
  • RESOM06.jpg
    RESOM06.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 192
  • RESOM05.jpg
    RESOM05.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 190
  • RESOM04.jpg
    RESOM04.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 207

blue_fusion

*some more uploads*

Attachments

• RESOM03.jpg
    RESOM03.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 181
  • RESOM01.jpg
    RESOM01.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 209
  • RESOM00.jpg
    RESOM00.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 170

Rhapsodin

See what you mean. It's an interesting style, first time I've encountered it.

What comes across in your interpretations is the consistency throughout the deck. The cards really need to be looked at to appreciate the balance of elements, the interplay of differing textures etc. The Tower card is the most complex. All the same, they do seem easily readable.

Very nice.

rachelcat

Thank you so much for posting the inspiration art! I love to see how you borrowed and how you changed it. The Hermit is especially fantastic!

mused

It's great to see your take on the art that inspired the deck. The deck is beautiful and as mentioned below the consistency you created throughout really ties the cards nicely together.

blue_fusion

The Hermit is especially fantastic!

The original image was just begging to be put into a tarot card! :D

forgot to add:

This is the inspiration for the Fool figure: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kolo_Moser_-_Bilderbuch4_-_1904.jpeg

The tower card is inspired by the Vienna Secession bulding (translated into a more vertical form). Note the cupola/dome and owls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_hall_(Austria)

I tried to make the look and feel of the deck more or less consistent, which is why I added my own "touch" to the images (if you notice, the color scheme of the cards is different from the colors in their original source material).

As for the Wiener Werkstaette, it's a very interesting art movement, actually. It's related to Art Nouveau but has sharper lines. I think one of the more salient visual features of the movement (or at least the one which got to me) would be the juxtaposition of straight lines against curvilinear forms, which was I think influenced by Charles Rennie Mackintosh (who's group had an exhibit in Austria, and whose particular style was more widely received in the continent).

Try Googling for their furniture and accessories designs. Pretty interesting things. :)

blue_fusion

For contrast (with the card images), I am attaching some more things:

The WW Deck are my earlier attempts at tarot images which cover more Wiener Werkstaette visual styles.

The Tarock deck is actually where all this started from. The Joker card is the inspiration from which this whole deck began.

The Whist deck looks very mid 20st century (for something designed at the fin-de-siecle). I would really want to do a deck in this style someday. ;)

Attachments

• WW Deck.jpg
    WW Deck.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 160
  • DithaMoserTarock.jpg
    DithaMoserTarock.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 162
  • DithaMoserWhist.jpg
    DithaMoserWhist.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 206