Tarot Software

Nholdamek

Does anyone know what kind of algorithm is used for the shuffling of cards in these programs? I was thinking of making something, since I'm a programmer, but wasn't sure the best way to have it shuffle.

I once made something that attempted to closely mirror how I would shuffle if I were actually doing so, but I'm not sure how well it works.

I guess I'm just kind of doubtful about how well these can actually do, since it can't be truly random. Computers can only be pseudo-random, and I dont' know if that is good enough for shuffling.

showponye

I too have Tarot Magic and I'm very pleased with it!

Alexander

Nholdamek said:
Does anyone know what kind of algorithm is used for the shuffling of cards in these programs? ....
Computers can only be pseudo-random, and I dont' know if that is good enough for shuffling.
Hi there!
If you're still interested, I can tell, how it works in "Wise Tarot".
First of all, a random seed is generated depending from system time (in milliseconds) at the moment when user starts a new reading. Then cards are positioned in deck into random places, according this seed.
When user clicks the "Shuffle" button, the program starts to cut deck in several pieces in random places and collect this pieces in another order (as you do when you really shuffle). And it continues until he clicks the "Stop" button.
Then he may cut the deck, and the deck is cut in the place where he clicks.

So as far as I see, the randomization is true:
1. it is calculated from system time in milliseconds, and this moment depends from user only;
2. the shuffling stops also in the moment determined by user;
3. And user cuts the deck in random place

So it looks as close as possible to divination with physical deck. And results of readings confirm it :)