The 25th Rune....

crystal dawn

Don't use a blank rune as it's not part of the traditional runic alphabet. Perthro is good enough to represent secrets and mysteries. Blume made up the blank rune which was in his rune kit and he didn't know what it was for (it was to replace missing runes).

Hi there
I am not sure if blum did make the blank rune up as I have books on runes dating back to before blums book of runes and they include the blank rune.

blessings

crystal

crystal dawn

the many names of the blank rune

The blank rune has been given several names, the ones I know of are

Ralph Blum called it - Odin

Sasha Fenton in her book on fortune telling called it - Skjebne (a norse word (we are told)for fate)

Horick Svensson and Jonathan Dee call it Wyrd

Dion Dolphin calls it The Wishing Stone

Kenneth meadows calls it The Destiny Stone

Kim Tracey calls it The Blank Rune

Does anyone else know of any others?

blessings

crystal

caridwen

The blank rune has been given several names, the ones I know of are

Ralph Blum called it - Odin

Sasha Fenton in her book on fortune telling called it - Skjebne (a norse word (we are told)for fate)

Horick Svensson and Jonathan Dee call it Wyrd

Does anyone else know of any others?

blessings

crystal

I reiterate - there is no evidence whatsoever of there being a blank rune. It is a modern invention generally attributed to Blum. It has absolutely no basis in history. It is the equivalent of using a blank piece of card normally found with Tarot decks and saying there are now 79 in a tarot deck. There is no evidence of a blank rune in the runic inscriptions, rune poems, or other Nordic literature dating from the time when runes were still in common use. It seems to be some kind of New Age thing.

However, if you have any evidence of a Blank Rune within any of the Futharks and an explanation as to why the Elder Futhark has lost its traditional rule of three sets of eight runes and why there is a replication of perthro (generally read as Fate or the Unknown) then I'd love to hear it.

crystal dawn

I reiterate - there is no evidence whatsoever of there being a blank rune. It is a modern invention generally attributed to Blum. It has absolutely no basis in history. It is the equivalent of using a blank piece of card normally found with Tarot decks and saying there are now 79 in a tarot deck. There is no evidence of a blank rune in the runic inscriptions, rune poems, or other Nordic literature dating from the time when runes were still in common use. It seems to be some kind of New Age thing.

However, if you have any evidence of a Blank Rune within any of the Futharks and an explanation as to why the Elder Futhark has lost its traditional rule of three sets of eight runes and why there is a replication of perthro (generally read as Fate or the Unknown) then I'd love to hear it.

Blank is the end, blank is the beginning
blank is here, blank is there
blank is nowhere
blank is all, blank is none
blank appears, blank is gone
blank is everything
blank is nothing
no-thing is the blank rune

Alot of people seem to blame poor Ralph blum for the blank rune. The book of runes by Ralph Blum first appeared in 1987. Yet if you look at Kim Traceys secrets of the runes which was published in 1979 she also uses a blank rune and like blum she tells us that the runes power is enhanced if it appears next to what she calls the prosperity rune (Dagaz). Kim Tracey is not the only one as I have several books from 1987 the same year blums book first appeared that use a blank rune, Such as Sasha fentons aquarian book of fortune telling where she calls the rune Skebjne.

Its interesting that just one rune seems to provoke such extreme reactions in people. For mystical purposes I guess the blank rune may just add something extra. You could see it maybe as peorth represents something like the wheel of fortune in the tarot while the blank rune maybe the fool. Many books include it so why not if you want to use it thats up to you.

Blum refers to his set as the viking runes, so did the vikings use a blank rune? who knows? What we do know is that due to christian persecution alot information on the runes was lost forever.

Even in the kabbalah they have a sephiroth that is not a sephiroth called daath. So it is not too implausable that the blank rune could have existed in the past. Obviously it would not have been used for practical purposes such as writing, monuments, weapons, coins etc. But for mystical purposes such as divination it could well have been used. We shall never know for sure. Alot of the evidence out there for runes are of a practical nature such as on monuments etc.
As rune users of the new age, we should then surely have a choice. The use of the blank rune could herald the difference between using the runes for practical purposes such as writing etc and using them for mystical purposes such as divination,meditation etc.

blessing

crystal

caridwen

Blank is the end, blank is the beginning
blank is here, blank is there
blank is nowhere
blank is all, blank is none
blank appears, blank is gone
blank is everything
blank is nothing
no-thing is the blank rune

Alot of people seem to blame poor Ralph blum for the blank rune. The book of runes by Ralph Blum first appeared in 1987. Yet if you look at Kim Traceys secrets of the runes which was published in 1979 she also uses a blank rune and like blum she tells us that the runes power is enhanced if it appears next to what she calls the prosperity rune (Dagaz). Kim Tracey is not the only one as I have several books from 1987 the same year blums book first appeared that use a blank rune, Such as Sasha fentons aquarian book of fortune telling where she calls the rune Skebjne.

Its interesting that just one rune seems to provoke such extreme reactions in people. For mystical purposes I guess the blank rune may just add something extra. You could see it maybe as peorth represents something like the wheel of fortune in the tarot while the blank rune maybe the fool. Many books include it so why not if you want to use it thats up to you.

Blum refers to his set as the viking runes, so did the vikings use a blank rune? who knows? What we do know is that due to christian persecution alot information on the runes was lost forever.

Even in the kabbalah they have a sephiroth that is not a sephiroth called daath. So it is no too implausable that the blank rune could have existed in the past. Obviously it would not have been used for practical purposes such as writing, monuments, weapons, coins etc. But for mystical purposes such as divination it could well have been used. We shall never know for sure. Alot of the evidence out there for runes are of a practical nature such as on monuments etc.
As rune users of the new age, we should then surely have a choice. The use of the blank rune could herald the difference between using the runes for practical purposes such as writing etc and using them for mystical purposes such as divination,meditation etc.

blessing

crystal

Blum was also talking about the blank rune in the 70s. We do know for sure that was not a blank rune because there is no evidence that it exists.

Runes have always been used for mystical purposes as they were seen as a direct channel to the gods. Their purpose was three fold: communication, divination and magic.

However, if you do have factual evidence that there is a blank rune I would love to hear it as would the rest of the runic community I imagine;)

crystal dawn

Blum was also talking about the blank rune in the 70s. We do know for sure that was not a blank rune because there is no evidence that it exists.

Runes have always been used for mystical purposes as they were seen as a direct channel to the gods. Their purpose was three fold: communication, divination and magic.

However, if you do have factual evidence that there is a blank rune I would love to hear it as would the rest of the runic community I imagine;)

Thats the beauty of those that use the blank rune it does not exist, yet it does exist :)

The rune that is not a rune.

The beauty is we can now choose to use it or not, that choice is up to the individual. Freedom to choose. Such as we are free to use the northumbrian or anglo saxon runes if we wish to. Its whatever works for you.

blessings

crystal

caridwen

lol I never said I had evidence for its use nor is there evidence to say it was not used.

There is absolutely no historical proof whatsoever in any literature or accounts of runic lore that there is or ever was a blank rune. There is no such thing as a blank rune.

The 70s (lol :) ) before my time I am afraid so only have your word for it that blum was going on about it then. Though the book of runes was first published in 1987.

The whole of history up to your date of birth is before your time - I didn't witness Blum talking about the blank rune. He has talked about it in his rune books.

Thats the beauty of those that use the blank rune it does not exist, yet it does exist :)

The rune that is not a rune.

The beauty is we can now choose to use it or not, that choice is up to the individual. Freedom to choose. Such as we are free to use the northumbrian or anglo saxon runes if we wish to. Its whatever works for you.

ps wheres this runic community you mentioned.

blessings

crystal

Please feel free to make up as many runes as you wish. The thread is originally about using the blank rune. Blum's book was unfortunately a best seller and most probably the single rune book many who touched on the subject read. Which is why this particular piece of ignorance spread.

The blank rune is generally considered wyrd - however Perthro is the rune for wyrd. It does not make sense that two runes (one of which does not fit anywhere in the system) have exactly the same meaning. The blank rune was put into rune sets in case one went missing. Blum in complete naivety mistook it for part of the runic alphabet.

If you want to use the blank rune feel free. Make up as many as you wish but it isn't part of the runic alphabet.

The 'runic community' are people like me who study and use runes. As part of that community I would love to hear any evidence of a new rune not mentioned in any of the literature or history books I have read. A statement such as just because there isn't evidence for this doesn't mean it's not true, wont' hold up to scrutiny I'm afraid:D

AJ

very slightly off topic, this is exactly the sort of situation the historical forum wants to create a new section for...in historical.

I say there are rooms here all ready for discussion.
But. If they get one everyone else should get one too :) where speculation doesn't draw blood.

There is no need for anyone to get bombastic.
Pictorial minors are a newly made up thing, yet I expect there are people here who would defend their historic authenticity with their very life.

I love using the blank rune. The closest I could ever hope to historically valid use is writing my name in runic. Beyond that, as far as I'm concerned it's pretty much all speculation. That's why books about ancient runic lore written by historians are so thin. There is little proof about any of it beyond the remaining stone tablets and plinths.

crystal dawn

I was just giving suggetions for those that wanted to include it most mystical purposes.

As for the Northumbrian runes and anglo saxon runes they are not made up there is historical evidence for their use, the ruthwell cross for one and many other monuments etc have been found with anglo saxon, northumbrian runes on them.

Though I personally use the blank rune alongside the elder futhark runes for divination purposes. When using the northumbrian runes there is a rune called Gar the 33rd rune that stands outside the other 4 aetts that represents our own individual wyrd and the begining of a brand new order of things. Northumbrian rune gar is in my opinion another version of the blank rune. This rune is listed along with the other northumbrian runes on at least several monuments including the ruthwell cross etc.

blessings

crystal dawn

Milfoil

Moderator note

Please keep the discussion to the topic of the thread which in this case is the blank or 25th rune.

We all have different opinions on this and that is fine, this is a forum intended for such discussions but PLEASE let's keep it friendly.

There may be no historical evidence of a blank rune but since we can divine with just about anything then the choice to use such is up to the individual. In linguistic terms we use spaces between marks made on the surface (either heiroglyphs or words) to determine a boundary, the same is true in the use of runes to a certain extent so there is a very loose connection there but not in any other historical context.

In the case of casting runes, it isn't clear whether the back of the rune was used as a blank and read that way or not. There are many trains of thought based only upon the few surviving manuscripts. No rune sets seem to have survived from antiquity.

There can be no absolutes when discussing even the most seemingly clear acheological evidence, there is always room for consideration and debate.

Lets PLAY NICE folks, please! :)