The 7 Deadly Sins

Rosanne

Hi I once tried to work out Tarot 22 into Virtues and Vices I will attempt to scan my work sheet.

They are in order of the images in the chapel at Padua.
I had a problem with the Empress at Envy- but your idea of gluttony is somewhat the same.

~Rosanne

Attachments

• Death 1230009.JPG
    Death 1230009.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 281

chrissydogz

this is an interesting topic. i thought maybe the 7 of cups would play a role in representing the 7 deadly sins but since we are talking about majors only heres my view...

i agree with the magician representing pride,wrath not so much i think that goes more with the emperor or the devil or maybe even the hierophant in a way.

i agree with whoever said greed could be the hierophant too.

JSNYC

Thirteen said:
There are, however, a few I'd switch--if I may? ;)
No! Don't mess why my list! :laugh:

I like all your assignments (and a few other posts mimic your assignments)... except one, The Hierophant... So, I started writing up a new list with the changes to see how it looked:

Pride I The Magician (misuse of ability)
Envy II The High Priestess (misuse of perception)
Gluttony III The Empress (misuse of abundance)
Wrath IV The Emperor (misuse of power)
Greed V The Hierophant (misuse of ... knowledge?)
Lust VI The Lovers (misuse of desire)
Sloth VII The Chariot (misuse of discipline)

But when I get to The Hierophant... I guess the crux of my disagreement is that I don't think The Hierophant represents religion; he represents what religion uses, so I personalize it. What is a common trait of someone who has "got religion"? I would say it is self-righteousness, or pride. Many religious authorities are guilty of greed, but virtually all of them are guilty of self-righteousness (at some point, to some extent). So... a couple more (personalized) points.

Thirteen said:
He isn't about power, he is about inspiration and creation.
And an inspired creative person usually always feels a sense of... ;)

Thirteen said:
...and at his worse DOES throw temper tantrums like a spoiled child
And temper tantrums immediately bring to mind a willful (inspired! :D ) child.

However, I think those are more technical points, not especially meaningful, many of your points are better. I could easily switch the other 3, but I can only see pride in the Hierophant, not greed. The Hierophant is also often linked to education, or to a wise master. Both of those things (or the inverse of those things) I see far more representative of pride than greed. Such as the "god-complex", which doctors get, or “elitist” academics or professionals.

Don't these things always come down to a disagreement over religion?!? :eek:

So, to assign pride to The Hierophant, using your list, I would then have to assign greed to The Magician... I don't think I can, so the whole thing comes unraveled. Then I thought, what if there is more than one perspective? Your assignments sound like a coherent system, and I obviously think mine does as well. What if there could be multiple (valid) assignments of the 7 deadly sins to the first 7 Tarot trumps, and then each assignment would be indicative of the perspective of the person (stating the assignment)? The meaning of the Tarot archetypes we are talking about are expansive enough to encompass multiple, seemingly disparate perspectives. Or maybe, to put it another way, what is the bigger sin of The Magician?

ETA:
Oh, also, The Emperor, the Father figure, he made sure you cleaned your room.

JSNYC

I have been thinking about this thread all night! :) I devised another configuration, I will list all three, these should help to clarify my comments in the last post:

Wrath I The Magician (misuse of ability)
Sloth IV The Emperor (misuse of discipline)
Pride V The Hierophant (misuse of knowledge)
Greed VII The Chariot (misuse of ambition)

When The Hierophant (the belief) is prideful, The Magician is wrathful.

Pride I The Magician (misuse of ability)
Wrath IV The Emperor (misuse of discipline)
Greed V The Hierophant (misuse of knowledge)
Sloth VII The Chariot (misuse of ambition)

When The Hierophant is greedy, The Magician is prideful.

Greed I The Magician (misuse of ability)
Pride IV The Emperor (misuse of discipline)
Sloth V The Hierophant (misuse of knowledge)
Wrath VII The Chariot (misuse of ambition)

When The Hierophant is slothful, The Magician is greedy.

ETA:
This just begs for a 4th (hidden) configuration to complete it! :D

(And anyone can feel free to change the "misuse of" lines as well... such as The Hierophant, "misuse of creed", or The Emperor, "misuse of authority".)

JSNYC

ETA: Deleted, I just realized I did what cardlady already did. :D

Here is the two lists with the virtues.

Pride I The Magician Humility
Envy II The High Priestess Kindness
Gluttony III The Empress Temperance
Wrath IV The Emperor Patience
Greed V The Hierophant Charity
Lust VI The Lovers Chastity
Sloth VII The Chariot Diligence

Wrath I The Magician Patience
Sloth IV The Emperor Diligence
Pride V The Hierophant Humility
Greed VII The Chariot Charity

(I will note, the virtue Temperance doesn't necessarily need to be assigned to the card Temperance, some decks call that card Alchemy.)

And after typing the list I think charity, and thus greed, fits the best with The Hierophant...

JSNYC

OK, last post. :) Based on the "system" in the other post (#14 above), the 4th configuration would be:

Sloth I The Magician Diligence
Greed IV The Emperor Charity
Wrath V The Hierophant Patience
Pride VII The Chariot Humility

The thing I think what is interesting about the multiple configurations, is that they don't seem to be "incorrect", just not the best configuration. Or maybe I just don't know that these "sins" and "virtues" really mean! :laugh:

In any case, after thinking about this and after applying the virtues, I must agree that the configuration presented by Thirteen, and reiterated in the posts following her's, is the best. So, if there is no disagreement, we can dub this the last iteration. ;)

Pride I The Magician Humility
Wrath IV The Emperor Patience
Greed V The Hierophant Charity
Sloth VII The Chariot Diligence

(I will also note that once charity was assigned to The Hierophant, I think self-rightousness could also be considered greed (?). And I think Thirteen's mention of the "evils" of greed, as preached by prominant religious people, is also a very convincing argument as well.)

ETA:
I created a thread for the 7 Virtues:
Click here to view the thread: The 7 Virtues