"The Arcanum" historical fiction

rota

I can recommend a book of historically-based fiction titled 'The Arcanum', by Thomas Wheeler, published in 2004. Every tarotist here knows what an arcanum is. In this case, though, the word represents a group of people involved in a fast-paced adventure tale about an ancient book

Aleister Crowley plays a critical, if shadowy role in the proceedings. A. E. Waite shows up at a critical juncture to give advice. The main characters in this adventure fiction novel include Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, Marie Laveau, and H. P. Lovecraft. Telling you more about this fast-moving tale would be criminal. (If you're familiar with 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', based on the comicbook notion of the superhero team, you'll have the idea.) This one also begs to be made into a movie.

Pipistrelle

Thanks for the tip, rota. I like the sound of it! I've added it to my wishlist...despite the appalling review on Amazon (I'd rather take your word over his ;)) Besides, I find that time period fascinating.

Pip

Emeraldgirl

Another one to add to the wishlist. Sounds fascinating. Can't wait for my Amazon order to get here now :)