The Barnyard Friends' Tarot idea

Chronata

Damn...I really want to see these cards now!

Such great ideas you have here!

Have you given a thought as to how you are going to illustrate them?

Collage? Hand Drawn? Photoshop? Realistic animals, or more whimsical?

I can't wait to see!

blue_fusion

I remember having a "Farm Tarot" listed in my "ideas notebook" some time ago - but those had people in them.

Anyway, how about for the Wheel of Fortune, either you use a millstone (gives that old feel - plus i think in either the Gran Tarot Esoterico or the Spanish Tarot, the Wheel of Fortune card has a bear rolling a millstone). Or, for a livelier feel, you can have barn mice engaged in various activities (like the ups and downs in the wheel card) when the lights are out. A nice, big, spiderweb in the barn's beams would also be a good alternative.

For the Star, how about an image of those barn hex signs (hexagrams, but they have superstitious undertones), and to incorporate your water element, you can have the hex sign in the BG while in the foreground maybe a bird (which is also in the star card) drinking water/dew from a leaf. Or a pig wallowing in the pigsty for cheek. ha ha

The tower could be a pile of autumn leaves being burned, with critters (that got in the pile) fleeing.

WingspreadPhoenix

Curtis Penfold, that deck you mentioned sounds cool! The more I think of it, the more I want to have some sort of person in the deck @-@ If a person's going to be the Devil, I think he should be leading a pig with some food (tempting) but he has a knife hidden behind his back. What do you think? (I also need a pig card xD)

Chronata, thank you very much! :> I'm going to hand-draw them, and if I can find my colored pencils I'll color with them (if I can't I'll just use PhotoShop). It's going to be cartoon-ish, maybe even manga-styled, but I'm going to mess around with different styles to see what works best.

blue_fusion, I really like that idea of the spiderweb! But I wouldn't put a spider in it. Still too creepy D: What do you think of mice playing on a spiderweb? Is that even possible? :~

I'm still kind of confused as to what the Star will be. There's so many good ideas but I have none of my own D:

Curtis Penfold

WingspreadPhoenix said:
Curtis Penfold, that deck you mentioned sounds cool! The more I think of it, the more I want to have some sort of person in the deck @-@ If a person's going to be the Devil, I think he should be leading a pig with some food (tempting) but he has a knife hidden behind his back. What do you think? (I also need a pig card xD)
It would definitelly be making a statement. But I think a lot of different people could appreciate it. It would definitelly make you rethink the Devil, try to apply it in our own lives.

It is an idea, but now that I'm thinking about it (even though it was orginally my idea) you should consider the opinion of some farmers. I mean, they do what seems to be these terrible things, but they do it for what they think is the betterment of their society. That's a reasoning I'm not sure people do when influenced by the Devil.

However, the Devil isn't really all bad. He's supposed to be more of that dark side that we sometimes need to incorpurate into our lives. I think showing the basic ritual of killing the pig would emphasize that, it would let people look at our "dark side" with a fresher perspective.

WingspreadPhoenix

Curtis Penfold said:
It would definitelly be making a statement. But I think a lot of different people could appreciate it. It would definitelly make you rethink the Devil, try to apply it in our own lives.

It is an idea, but now that I'm thinking about it (even though it was orginally my idea) you should consider the opinion of some farmers. I mean, they do what seems to be these terrible things, but they do it for what they think is the betterment of their society. That's a reasoning I'm not sure people do when influenced by the Devil.

However, the Devil isn't really all bad. He's supposed to be more of that dark side that we sometimes need to incorpurate into our lives. I think showing the basic ritual of killing the pig would emphasize that, it would let people look at our "dark side" with a fresher perspective.
That's true, but I was thinking more of the "stereotypical bad farmer" that shows up in all those animal stories. And the knife would be representing the bad things that following our temptations could possibly lead us to. Also, in a way it ties into what you said, about the dark stuff we need to have in our lives, if you think of it as being bad for the pig and good for the farmer. Because things that are good for someone are 99% of the time bad for at least one other person/thing. At least that's what I'm getting @-@

Curtis Penfold

WingspreadPhoenix said:
That's true, but I was thinking more of the "stereotypical bad farmer" that shows up in all those animal stories. And the knife would be representing the bad things that following our temptations could possibly lead us to. Also, in a way it ties into what you said, about the dark stuff we need to have in our lives, if you think of it as being bad for the pig and good for the farmer. Because things that are good for someone are 99% of the time bad for at least one other person/thing. At least that's what I'm getting @-@

See that's the fun part about making your own deck. You can introduce people into your moral universe, you can show you view concepts spiritually :D

It's fun, isn't it?

WingspreadPhoenix

Curtis Penfold said:
See that's the fun part about making your own deck. You can introduce people into your moral universe, you can show you view concepts spiritually :D

It's fun, isn't it?
It is fun! But it is also confusing!

HudsonGray

The farm dog needs to be in there somewhere. Justice, perhaps?

Chronata

I am waiting to see what card the piggies will be! :D

blue_fusion

WingspreadPhoenix said:
blue_fusion, I really like that idea of the spiderweb! But I wouldn't put a spider in it. Still too creepy D: What do you think of mice playing on a spiderweb? Is that even possible? :~

How about something like Charlotte's Web? That's not creepy at all! :) I think both (spiderwebs) and mice (especially them parodying the creatures in Marseilles-style decks) would be good for the Wheel card, just not together. You can have them running in a waterwheel, though, or something.