The Bohemian Gothic Tarot

Astraea Aurora

flicker said:
Astraea Aurora Yikes! I hope the cards will be ok. I ironed one oracle as the plastic cover over the cards started coming off. problem was it started going really shiny and I didnt notice till later some of the ink had changed colour. so be carful with that iron.
I was told by someone else I should have freezed them straight away and then dried them out. ive heard of hair dryers on low heat being used i dont know if the above works. some recommend paper towels. leaving them out to air dry and not putting them in the sun as it will fade them.

Thanks for the tips, flicker.
I will definately stay away from hair dryers, they tend to warp any paper, no matter how thick it is (I had several chances to prove that true on my study notes, I ruined a book of piano notes with it.)
I've never heard about freezing. Somehow this doesn't feel good to me. Maybe I have to try (no, not on the BG!).

Astraea Aurora

flicker

That is unusual 9 cards and nine is a magical number. Ijust found something on the Egyptian primordial hill a drawing someone had done in ascii and it matches perfectly with 9 cards. Im not sure where to share it though. No dont freeze the BG starts humming "Staying alive".

Anam Cara

Astraea Aurora said:
Thanks for the tips, flicker.
I've never heard about freezing. Somehow this doesn't feel good to me. Maybe I have to try (no, not on the BG!).
Astraea Aurora
I used to work in a public library.
Unfortunately, during a particulary bad storm, the roof
caved in on our Children's section. The head librarian gave
each employee a stack of books to take home and place in
their freezer. (it must be a frost-free freezer) Later, each book
still warped was placed in a heavy-duty book press. Surprisingly,
few books were damaged beyond repair.
Apparently, the freezer removes moisture from any item not sealed.
I've used it on books and papers but...
~~~back on topic!!~~~
...I'd still be reluctant to stick my Tarot cards in the freezer!!
:heart:cara

6 Haunted Days

Astraea Aurora said:
I swear, swear, swear, swear, swear by all the entities that can be sworn upon to never again shuffle my Silver one while sitting in front of a cup of tea

:eek: :bugeyed: :eek:

So far it's only been a couple of cards but they were falling heads down into the tea and soaked up a bit at the rim. Very annyoing!

... mad at myself ... :mad: ...

Astraea Aurora

Ohhhhh Astraea! :bugeyed: I do really hope they'll be fine and nothing obvious! I know how much you love your Dark Sister :) Keep us updated!

I'd be shocked and devastated too, though I also have 2 back-up copies, the very first one I got in the mail is all broken in and very much bonded with me in the most wonderful way :love:

Grizabella

anam_chara said:
I used to work in a public library.
Unfortunately, during a particulary bad storm, the roof
caved in on our Children's section. The head librarian gave
each employee a stack of books to take home and place in
their freezer. (it must be a frost-free freezer) Later, each book
still warped was placed in a heavy-duty book press. Surprisingly,
few books were damaged beyond repair.
Apparently, the freezer removes moisture from any item not sealed.
I've used it on books and papers but...
~~~back on topic!!~~~
...I'd still be reluctant to stick my Tarot cards in the freezer!!
:heart:cara

Have you heard the term "freezer burn"? It's the term used when the freezer sucks the moisture out of foods. I suppose that's why they put them in the freezer. It must do---or be thought to do, anyway---the same thing to wet papers.

The trouble is, though, when you take something out of the freezer, moisture forms on it, so it would seem to me to defeat its purpose.

Astraea Aurora

:love: Thank you all for your nice words. :love:

To keep you updated ...

Now seen in daylight the cards aren't obvious at all. They got back to almost normal and appear as if they have just a bit more shuffles on their plates than the rest of the cards.
Me thinks I had the luck to react very quickly so no further damage would happen. The iron did its job well.

Astraea Aurora :grin:, with a sigh of relief

lilith_in_tree

glad to hear your cards are alright Astraea--now no more tea in the vicinity! :laugh:

baba-prague

I know it sounds like I am just trying to get out of replacing any cards (we would of course try to do it, in reality) but I actually feel these cards might be more beautiful with a bit of wear. Okay, I'm not actually advocating that everyone dunks theirs in a beverage of their choice - or if so, at least please make it absinthe or a good stewed cup of English tea with leaves floating about (urk) - but I do think the cards will pick up some more character when they aren't pristine.

flicker

I have to say 9 cards and absinthe does resonate with the 9 of cups card as the drink he is holding is green. I couldnt help but compare it to green tea.

baba-prague

I also wanted to say, very very quietly for fear of beginning one of those "after the vote" controversies, that we are just hugely chuffed and grateful about the Bohemian Gothic doing so well in the list. I wasn't sure it would as, well, Gothic isn't everyone's thing and we always thought that this would be a rather niche deck.

Very quiet post ends...shhhhh