The Book of The Law Study Group 3.70

Aeon418

The combined attributes of Silence & Strength indicate that this is Heru-Ra-Ha. The active and fiery Ra-Hoor-Khuit balanced the mild and benign child-god of silence, Hoor-paar-kraat (Harpocrates). The image is of a huge Hawk's head complete with Egyptian nemyss that fills the sky.

His nemyss shrouds the night-blue sky. He is the veil that covers the body of Nuit. This makes me think of the day time sky and how sunlight hitting the atmosphere temporarily veils outer space and the stars. This also reminds me of one Heru-Ra-Ha's most important characteristics. He is the visible object of worship (III:22). In the same way sunlight enters the atmosphere and creates 'day', the LVX enters the mental forms and thought structures with which we conceptualise the divine. In this way divinity bridges the gap to humanity through forms. But beyond the atmosphere, beyond the structures of the mind there is the limitless NOX, Night.
This is similar to the concept of Ishvara in Advaitism. When a person thinks of Brahman the infinite is projected upon thier limited finite minds as Ishvara - the Lord. Another term for this visible object of worship is the Holy Guardian Angel.

The notion that perception, sight, and objects are important to this verse is reinforced by the verse number, 70, and the seventy letters that make up this verse (including the amp.)
This could indicate the Path of Ayin and Atu XV The Devil. This is the path where the divine light is clothed in form making it perceptible to the mind.

It's interesting to note that we are now another 35 verses beyond verse 35 which proclaimed the "half of the word of Heru-Ra-Ha." Does this verse imply the full Word?
Also 70 = LIL, Night.

III:70 as a number is 370. A significant Hebrew word is OSh (A'ash) Creation. Get your Thoth cards out and join up Atu's XX and XV.

III x 70 = 210. NOX, spelt Nun, Ayin, Tzaddi. NOTz. Possibly another reference to the veil and it's manifestation as visible LVX in this verse. (It's interesting how all the corresponding cards are related to Mars.)

The published editions of the text always say "night-blue sky." But does the holograph manuscript actually say "light-blue"? Another play on Light and Night?
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0031.html?num=64

Zephyros

I like your remarks, for what is really an obscure verse. I see it not as the senses only, but in the way we interact with that same night (light)-blue sky. The only way to fully interact with Nuit is through the mediation of the HGA, Ra-Hoor-Khuit, by accepting or becoming Heru-Ra-Ha. Passive activity, or active passivity. We can't see Nuit directly, as the nemyss shrouds her, and we can't interact with her solely through action, since there's "nothing" to interact with. Perhaps the term I'm looking for is "motionless motion."

Of course, one could fall into the trap of worshipping the nemyss itself.

Always Wondering

The combined attributes of Silence & Strength indicate that this is Heru-Ra-Ha. The active and fiery Ra-Hoor-Khuit balanced the mild and benign child-god of silence, Hoor-paar-kraat (Harpocrates). The image is of a huge Hawk's head complete with Egyptian nemyss that fills the sky.

His nemyss shrouds the night-blue sky. He is the veil that covers the body of Nuit. This makes me think of the day time sky and how sunlight hitting the atmosphere temporarily veils outer space and the stars. This also reminds me of one Heru-Ra-Ha's most important characteristics. He is the visible object of worship (III:22). In the same way sunlight enters the atmosphere and creates 'day', the LVX enters the mental forms and thought structures with which we conceptualise the divine. In this way divinity bridges the gap to humanity through forms. But beyond the atmosphere, beyond the structures of the mind there is the limitless NOX, Night.
This is similar to the concept of Ishvara in Advaitism. When a person thinks of Brahman the infinite is projected upon thier limited finite minds as Ishvara - the Lord. Another term for this visible object of worship is the Holy Guardian Angel.

The notion that perception, sight, and objects are important to this verse is reinforced by the verse number, 70, and the seventy letters that make up this verse (including the amp.)
This could indicate the Path of Ayin and Atu XV The Devil. This is the path where the divine light is clothed in form making it perceptible to the mind.

It's interesting to note that we are now another 35 verses beyond verse 35 which proclaimed the "half of the word of Heru-Ra-Ha." Does this verse imply the full Word?
Also 70 = LIL, Night.

III:70 as a number is 370. A significant Hebrew word is OSh (A'ash) Creation. Get your Thoth cards out and join up Atu's XX and XV.

III x 70 = 210. NOX, spelt Nun, Ayin, Tzaddi. NOTz. Possibly another reference to the veil and it's manifestation as visible LVX in this verse. (It's interesting how all the corresponding cards are related to Mars.)

The published editions of the text always say "night-blue sky." But does the holograph manuscript actually say "light-blue"? Another play on Light and Night?
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0031.html?num=64

After a post like this it is hard to think of gematria as a game, like many suggest. It seems like a beautiful tool and the art of taking 70 words (opps letters) to their highest form. I am awe struck all over again by this holy book.

ravenest

I like your remarks, for what is really an obscure verse. I see it not as the senses only, but in the way we interact with that same night (light)-blue sky. The only way to fully interact with Nuit is through the mediation of the HGA, Ra-Hoor-Khuit, by accepting or becoming Heru-Ra-Ha. Passive activity, or active passivity. We can't see Nuit directly, as the nemyss shrouds her, and we can't interact with her solely through action, since there's "nothing" to interact with. Perhaps the term I'm looking for is "motionless motion."

Or one could avoid the nemyss and fall UP into the 'trap' of Liber Nv ;)

http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib11.html

Zephyros

After a post like this it is hard to think of gematria as a game, like many suggest.

I think the end result of studying gematria is to see with a kind of Matrix-vision, all numbers, all connections between this and that, and the realization that there is no "this" and "that." They should make a movie about a Kabbalistic superhero, although I think he would be too superpowered.

ETA: There are actually two!

Aeon418

Or maybe it is just the right Hermetic Fish-hook required to reach a certain stage of development. Take the bait! :laugh:

David Shoemaker devoted a whole chapter to this in his Living Thelema book: Chapter 20 The Formulas of L.V.X. and N.O.X.
Did you manage to grab a copy yet? If not there's still the original podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vcbFzTrZPU

Aeon418

Just now thinking about 70 and the Path of Ayin I remembered it is the 26th path. 26 is the numerical value of I.H.V.H., which according to one interpretation is the "secret fourfold word" mentioned in III:49. Also 'secret' is SVD = 70. Another connection to III:35 and the "half of the word"?

L.I.L. (70) is also the final vison in Liber 418. The vision of the Crowned and Conquering Child. http://hermetic.com/crowley/the-vision-and-the-voice/aethyr1.html

Grigori

I wouldn't have expected this, but the third chapter is constantly bring me back to the Tao Te Ching.

http://www.taoism.net/ttc/complete.htm