The clock as mundus: Baghdad, Sicily, France...

DianeOD

1232 - Emperor Frederick II received a large water clock with astronomical indications from Baghdad.

1271 - Robert the Englishman writes a commentary on Johannes de Sacrobosco's Tractus de Sphera Mundi in which he states that clockmakers have not found a method by which a wheel will make one revolution for every one of the equinoctial circle.

1275 ca. - Albrecht, author of Juengeren Titurel describes a clock which showed the passage of the sun and moon, etc.

1283 - Dunstable Priory ... Referring to the installation of a clock on top of the rood screen.

1284 - Repairs done to the church bells, musical instruments and clock in Exeter Cathedral.

1284 - Bishop Gulielmus Durandus. Rationale Divinorum Officiorum describes the construction and content of an ideal church, including a clock 'somewhere in the nave'.

[1300 ca. - Pierre Pipelart built the first recorded public clock in Paris.]

1322 -1325 - A large astronomical clock with automata installed in Norwich Cathedral Priory.

1327 - 1336 - Richard of Wallingford's astronomical clock at St Albans Abbey.

1336 - Galvano Fiamma Hour striking described in the clock of San Gotardo in Milan. The clock is described as having a very large bell which is struck 24 times with one at the first hour, two at the second and so on.

1344 - Jacopo Dondi built a striking clock in for Padua which automatically strikes the equinoctial hours rather than canonical hours.

1348 - A striking clock recorded in London.

1364 ca.- De Dondi's Planetary Clock.

1377 - Clock installed in the Campanile in Ghent struck the hours on a bell.
1376 - King Pere's description of a clock sent to his daughter.

1386 - Salisbury cathedral clock first recorded.

1410 - Prague Town Hall clock completed.

1420 - Inventory of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy (1396 - 1467): 12 July 1420 - Item: a small square clock, gilt on the outside, and its white enamelled zodiac has one bell on top to ring the hours. Inventory of Margaret of Burgundy 1423: 'a small gilt clock. There are two panels on either side made of gilt silver, as is also the dial.

1450 ca. - Earliest surviving spring-driven clocks from Burgundy.

1470 - Inventory of the Duke of Burgundy refers to a small gold table clock set with twelve rubies with a dial in the upper face.

1480 ca. - The Prince of Milan and his courtiers had very small clocks.

1480 - 1485 - The Almanus Manuscript is written.

I have omitted a number of references ..

For the rest see (webpage) A Chronology of Clocks (by) David Thompson 2001-2006

The point is that imagery used later for cards (including Atout imagery) appears in public contexts - mainly religious architecture - from roughly the same time.

jmd

Chronographs did indeed use imagery that was also around in petroglyphs that forms part of the European soil out of which tarot imagery later arises.

A list of religious houses with petroglyphs from the 11th-13th century would similarly be important in looking around for similar imagery, and before that, paintings in Romanesque religious buildings.

These similarities are wonderful to explore as part of the overall cultural backdrop in which the proto-renaissance and Renaissance arise, out of which tarot develops - so a great addition to the list of considerations that are pertinent.

mac22

DianeOD said:
I have omitted a number of references ..

For the rest see (webpage) A Chronology of Clocks (by) David Thompson 2001-2006

The point is that imagery used later for cards (including Atout imagery) appears in public contexts - mainly religious architecture - from roughly the same time.

This chimes well with my thoughts. :D :D

Mac22

DianeOD

(groan)

Love your dreadful puns mac22 - really

DianeOD

?

Petroglyphs? You mean like the ones carved into desert rocks?

mac22

DianeOD said:
Love your dreadful puns mac22 - really

I wrote it and then saw the pun --- honest. :D

But I agree with you that these images were in common use in every day things long before they found themselves in Tarot cards.

Mac22

jmd

That comes from five different places.

I'll have to check my camera details, but the more obvious ones come from the Amiens and Paris Notre Dame Cathedral, and some near the bottom from Moissac in the south of France.

ps - the Amiens are in the quadrifoils, the Paris in the 2066.jpg and following, and the Moissac the 554.jpg - 589

mac22

jmd said:
That comes from five different places.

I'll have to check my camera details, but the more obvious ones come from the Amiens and Paris Notre Dame Cathedral, and some near the bottom from Moissac in the south of France.

ps - the Amiens are in the quadrifoils, the Paris in the 2066.jpg and following, and the Moissac the 554.jpg - 589

Many thanks!!

Mac22