The Devil Card

Dystopian

Today, I got the Devil card for my daily one card reading.

I interpret this card as giving in to my desires, to become less restrained. This is just one of the many possible interpretations. What do you think?

Maan

I think you know the best :)

Yours is a really positive outlook at the devil and i like it :) Sometimes i see the devil like that , when it is in an advise position. Other times i see it as an warning not to become to atatched. Or a warning that i'm getting depended on someone or something. And sometimes that someone tries to controle me!

And i believe i saw someone on the forum interpreting it as great sex ;)

aeonx

Hi Dystopian. :)
So, how do you like the forums so far? *s*

I got the Devil as a daily draw this Monday. I'm not too fond of this card. :( I see it indicating a person or situation too restrained, chained to unhealthy things or conditions. Like Thirteen says, a form of enslavement.

On the more positive side, I see the card advising someone to be more frivolous. Hinting to the need of being freer and less concerned with i.e. sex.

I'm really looking forward to this discussion!! :) Maybe it'll change my negative view on the card.

~aeonx~

aeonx

Btw, I just remembered a reading I did where I got the Devil-card. I did the reading for my friend, about this guy she was kinda seeing. :rolleyes: Well, I used the very famous aeonx's Relationship Spread :D :p

...and in the 'He feels'-position, I got the Devil. I snapped up right away that he was only using my friend for sex, and he didn't require or want more out of this relationship. The other cards also contributed to this interpretation. (I struggled for a long time as how to tell her this :( ) Well, all I saw turned out right. He even had to tell her he was only using her! That bastard. *grr*

However, this is one of the few times I've encountered the Devil in my readings.

~aeonx~

Umbrae

Ahhh, the Devil.

My friend, I would like to discuss The Devil with you.

Folks always think of enslavement. This implies ‘against our will, by that of another’. It is a form of blame. “It is not my fault, it is theirs, they did this to me.” Being a victim of victim-hood, so busy pointing fingers we fail to realize there are three fingers pointing back at us!

Nowadays it is common to use the “Touched by drugs or alcohol” interpretation. Indeed, addiction is enslavement, and it is an easy ‘out’. It is also often true.

Sometimes we are (I hate the word enslaved) chained, or choose to become [less than ourselves, subjugating ourselves to the whims of others, giving up our choices to] minor demons, to the big demon…our job.

To quote Tyler Derdan [‘Fight Club’], “You are not your Kakis”. You are not your job. You are not your addiction. You are not ‘what you do in private’.

…But believing that you are…that IS The Devil.

‘Enslave’ has this whole slavery equals white vs. black implication. It is implied that whites invented slavery. Look at the base of Abu-Simbal south of Aswaan, and you will find that the entire white-black concept is historically incorrect.

Never use the word ‘enslave’ to a sitter.

phirefly

to add to all the things that have been said already, i tend to look at the devil as the rational mind being overcontrolling, our way of rationalizing anything, making excuses for all our own actions. it's when we've stopped listening to our conscience and intuition and are doing things that might not be too good for us.

we could also look at it as "the devil made me do it." passing blame to someone else, or not taking responsibility for our own actions.

or facing our inner demons. realizing that we aren't always going to be the perfect little angel mom might like us to be ;} we all have our darker sides, and this is a reminder to us that they are a part of us, and we should bring them to balance with the lighter side.

the opposing card to this one is the lovers, which is, to me, about following your heart too much without listening to your head. our conscience is a combination of our conscious and subconscious, our head and our heart, and when we are out of balance, we don't listen to it as much. we have two sides (at least) to ourselves, and we need to bring them into balance.

remember also, that sometimes, going from one extreme to the other can be a form of balance ;} excess isn't always a bad thing. just always take things in context and do what you feel you need to do.

mondk

In addition to all these other very accurate postings, I want to add that when I see "The Horned One" in my spreads, I tend to look at the surrounding cards to see if the querent is clinging to any negativity surrounding the question etc. Sometimes I feel like it is saying to try to turn the negative into positive, as well as using some type of "constructive criticism" to turn their situation around.

Blessings, Michelle

Sam

the devil card can. i belive, be also interperted as means of wisdom. at least that's how i mostly interpert it.

-sam.

napaea

wow, phirefly, I love your interpretation!
the devil always makes me nervous when i see it, but then i have to think about the possibilities. cuz i agree with you, he can definately mean a need for reckless abandon, or throwing yourself into something.

i also feel, like some aspects of the moon, the devil can represent things from your past coming up to haunt you.

i also wonder about the origin of the devil...religiously was the devil created because politicians/religious leaders wanted to control people? assuming that in each person there is a god/goddess energy that is powerful... perhaps the devil indicates that we have forgotten our own divinity and need to get back to trusting ourselves, thinking for ourselves, and to stop allowing others to decide our paths for us.
just a thought...

i love that this thread is going, i know it's going to help me learn so much more.

blessings
napaea