the devil, the lovers & me

Teheuti

I just wrote a review for a wonderful new book named (in lower case)

the devil, the lovers & me: my life in tarot
by Kimberlee Auerbach (Dutton, 2007)

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/devil-lovers-and-me/

I characterize it as "a fast-moving, immensely readable, and comedic memoir that showcases the Tarot as a serious tool for personal growth and self-discovery," and "a laugh-out-loud chic-lit autobiography—with soul."

While some of you may want to wait for the softcover (or ask your library to order it), if you collect books on tarot you'll want to have this one.

One reviewer damns her with faint praise, claiming the book is "light" and not deep enough - hey, it's comedy - based on a one-woman comedy show that played to sold-out audiences in New York. I find it amazingly emotionally honest (especially given that she clearly is not out to hurt anyone from her past). In an interview, when asked why she writes, she answered - "I write to eliminate shame" - and she does a damn fine job of it.

A reminder - when buying, if you click through to Amazon from the review then Aeclectic will benefit financially.

Mary

Baroli

Mary, I thought the authors name sounded familiar! I just read the review and it looks to be a good read. Going to amazon now to purchase. I loved her description of herself in the beginning of your review. LOL.

Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:

Baroli

Seafra

Your review had me literally laughing out loud, so the book will be put on my Must Read list. Had to stop short when I read your following comment: "It begins with a woman who looks for signs to provide a bulwark of safety between herself and life’s experiences, and ends with someone who can feel everything and be grateful." Perhaps a rewording of that should be placed on every Tarot card box as a warning ;) Delightful! Thanks - Sea

Alta

Wonderful! I also ordered it. And I just loved your review! I trust the book is at least as good, with respect to writing. :D

Teheuti

I just got an email from Kimberlee Auerbach thanking me for the review. I asked her about the possibility of visiting the forum in a couple of weeks - after some people have had a chance to read the book - to answer questions. Anyone interested in having her visit with us here?

You can check her out at her website at:
http://www.kimmiland.com/

What questions would you like to ask her?

Mary

Baroli

I got this book yesterday, started to read today, and could not put it down. It is funny, but at some points, I found myself shedding tears and sympathizing with Kimberlee and her journey. I particularly loved her mom finding her second childhood. I could easily put myself into this book and was sitting there next to her as she spoke to her father, her mother, brother. The reader was soooo cool.

It was such a great read! Thanks again for this recommendation. It was a joy!

Baroli

Startarot

I found this book at Borders a few weeks ago. What a great read!! It moves very quickly!! fabulous! It's a must read!

Teheuti

Copy for sale

I just received a second copy of the book - so I have a brand new copy that I'm willing to sell to the first person (in the U.S.) who PMs me. The list price is $24.95 - so I'll send it bookrate for $25.00. If you want it mailed priority it will be $28.00. Check or PayPal OK.

Mary

Alta

I just copy in the mail today and since I am just finishing up a book, this is great timing.

Marion

Umbrae

If you are going to read one Tarot related book this year - make it this one.

Although some may say that this is not a Tarot book but an autobiography, this is everything that Tarot IS.

Like I always say, Tarot is not about the reader, but the sitter. Here we see the Tarot from the sitters point of view.