The Fairy Ring Oracle

Lee

My initial ardor for the Fairy Ring deck has dampened. I still like it and I think the authors did a great job, but there are simply too many very scary figures (monsters, vampires, etc.). It's not that I want a deck to be all sweetness and light, but meditating with certain fairies is "not recommended," according to Franklin. It seems to me that if these fairies are so dangerous that we shouldn't meditate on them, then reading with them would be just as dangerous. Personally I don't really want my readings to be filled with vampires and monsters. Although I must say, the story that goes along with the vampire one made for a wonderfully creepy Halloween story. But not something I want for readings.

-- Lee

Phoenix

Every time I go into the book store, there it is, gaping at me, taunting me, begging me to but it, along with it's cohort, the Tarot de Paris, but it is too close to Christmas, and I just don't have that kind of money! LOL!

Kiama

Mari_Hoshizaki said:
I posted this question in another discussion thread...if you have both the Sacred Circle and Fairy Ring, have you tried mixing the decks? I enjoy the Fairy Ring without majors, just was curious about mixing/if this seemed interesting.

Curious Mari

I'm not sure it would work.. The Fairy Ring Oracles doesn'tstick to Tarot at all really, so whilst it does have 'Minors' in a sense, I hink htere are only 8 or 10 of them instead of14... And they don't stick to the Tarot Minors meanings at all....

Having bought the deck now, I have gone off it a little, just like Lee... It's a nice deck yes, and the artwork is very nice, except for where the images were squashed or stretched to fit the card, but other than that it's a bit.... (Dare I say this?) boring... Kinda... I'm not an oracle fan anyway, but there are oracles I like more than this one.

Though th ebook is very interesting indeed. I enjoyed reaidng that immensely!

Kiama

Cerulean

This might be a contrast deck or better for gaming with celtic style decks. If I find another celtic photomontage deck, this might be a good adjunct---the legends, as people pointed out, aren't always kindly or delicate.

For contrast, yes it can be a bogeyman compared to Legend and perhaps look like a horror film compared to Celtic Wisdom, if you are a fan of painted art.

Thanks for the feedback on my question, as well.

Mari H.

Jewel

Please check out the other thread on the Fairy Ring. I would post the link but don't know how. Personally I find this deck to be an excellent reading deck, but not for meditation for the reasons pointed by others. I actually find this deck to be a nice compliment to my Froud Faeries Oracle ... it is totally different from it, but having an understanding of the Faerie realm I have learned that there are not really good faeries or bad faeries, but that each serves a purpose in the whole of the faerie realm. Understanding that has removed the negative connotations for me, and helped me grasp the overall messages. Hope this helps.

WolfSpirit

Lee said:
there are simply too many very scary figures (monsters, vampires, etc.). It's not that I want a deck to be all sweetness and light, but meditating with certain fairies is "not recommended," according to Franklin. It seems to me that if these fairies are so dangerous that we shouldn't meditate on them, then reading with them would be just as dangerous.
I haven't tried reading with this deck yet but I'm inclined to agree with this. In tarot you know the darker cards also have something positive in them.. with the faeries I don't know. I do like to read scary stories though...
And some of the cards are so gorgeous, the green lady (the woman merging with the tree) has to be one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen... and the queens and the cards with the animals...wow.

P.S. I was going to add: I wonder when Jewel will jump in to defend the faeries but she beat me to it (my pc broke down and had to be restarted). Don't worry Jewel I still love froud's faeries :) maybe one day I'll be ready for this deck... although some cards I really don't like

Cerulean

Okay, a very silly question...
Has anyone thought of taking an optimistic deck or one with related cards for a comparative take on a character or topic? I was always taken with the tale of the White Stag in Northern European tales. Then I saw the White Unicorn/Deer card in the Fairy Ring, and compared it to the White Deer/Hart in Legend and Arthurian. I believe the Avalon Tarots by Lo Scarabeo has a deer in the Moon card and the Stag is the Ace of a suit in the Merlin... I may be wrong, in but it seemed to be a beautiful design in all the above decks---but I enjoy the flip side versions of the card from the Fairy Ring, for added dimension.
At some point I was thinking we could all develop our own little keyword directories/shades of meaning journals for fun.
Mari H.