The Hallowed Profane

gregory

Speculation Salon ! Love it ! Especially the salon idea - a sort of melting pot....

Moonbow

Moderator Note

I'm locking this thread while I edit out what I can of the rude remarks, baiting and flaming.

The forum title is:

Historical Research
Research, studies and theories on the origins and development of Tarot.

ANY posters are welcome to post in the forum providing their topic meets that criteria. The moderators will move any threads which are considered by administration to be more relevant in other forums. There are no plans to divide the forum into two.

And lastly, please learn to share, this is a 'public' forum.

Edited as thread is now re-opened

kapoore

To Michael on his philosophy of history

Hi Michael,
I have read your website and I do appreciate your efforts. I think, though, that Tarot history is unique because few professional historians are willing to wade into these swampy waters. I have an image of the Tarot historian bushwacking her way through piles of occult debris, books pile up, file folders bulge over... One wanders through university libraries in search of books that are not there--for what library actually collects occult books. But maybe the scariest part about Tarot history is what we find. It doesn't fit the audience as you say. It might be too Christian or too philosophically dense, or even worse mathematical. Then, we have to come back out into the reality of web forums, and people with different theories, and so on. I can hear you thinking... say it, say it.. OK. First of all, Tarot art history only goes so far because the image might be dissimilar to what is really being represented. Tarot symbols might be like a caricatures where the cartoon drawing is like an inside joke. Pope Joan (I know, I know, no baby) might not be Pope Joan literally but somethng in the image gives the clue to those in the know--that is the occult part. The image may speak to a Biblically literate audience, not an art historian's audience. Get my point.. Tarot images are dissimilar similarities. We discard the dissimilar and get at the core like a nut...

Bernice

I have respect for professionals (all areas), they have had to immerse themselves in their chosen subject. Historians in particular - I'm rubbish at dates.

I'm particularly fond of professionals who have managed to retain their link with us ordinary people and are open to speculation from non-professionals. I think we are very lucky to have a fair number of them on this forum.

But lets not forget that lots of great discoveries have been made by non-professionals. The one drawback of a 'trained' person is the possibility of tunnel vision - sometimes the 'training' kills off creativity/curiosity.

Bee :)