The Lombard Man:Bateleur And Other Such Buzzards

Rosanne

Looking at the Noblet reproduction, The Bateleur card and its use of the number Three and reading about the Reformation, I wondered about an alternative view; the possibility of social commentary rather than a Salvation story (live well, trust in God, heaven is nigh). I broached the subject in a thread about Tarot and the Reformation/ The Pope's Monkey. Whether we call it High Middle Ages/early Renaissance is moot- because this time was governed by great material changes that started prior to Tarot, but at the start of Tarot's birth, Money was the driving force. Now the reproduction Noblet is c 1650, but you could assume correctly I think, that there were earlier decks, examples of which that we do not have today; excepting perhaps the Cary-Yale sheet c. early 1400's perhaps.

Two to One-It's lost and You Won't Get it Back! Medieval maxim.
Here's some words that you could apply in the times of Tarot's Birth.
Pledge (a security on property)
Mortgage (mort= dead, gage=Pledge)
Pawnbroker (lender of money on property/goods pledged; one year term legal)
Lending house(Church inspired bank)
Mont de Piete ( to get loans for the poor without interest)
Gaming House ( informal bank)
Lombard (historical term for pawn shops or moneychangers)
Cahors (a place)

Medieval trade fairs, contributed to the growth of banking in a curious way: moneychangers issued documents redeemable at other fairs, in exchange for hard currency. These documents could be cashed at another fair in a different country or at a future fair in the same location. If redeemable at a future date, they would often be discounted by an amount comparable to a rate of interest. Eventually, these documents evolved into bills of exchange, which could be redeemed at any office of the issuing banker. These bills made it possible to transfer large sums of money without the complications of hauling large chests of gold and hiring armed guards to protect the gold from thieves.(Wikipedia)

The growth of Italian banking in France was the start of the Lombard moneychangers in Europe, who moved from city to city along the busy pilgrim routes important for trade. One such place was Cahors. It was infamous at that time for having bankers that charged interest on their loans. The church in these times said that using money as an end in itself (usury) was a sin. Because of this Cahors became synonymous with this sin, and was mentioned in Dante's Inferno alongside Sodom as wicked.The term Lombard is synonymous with Cahorsin in medieval Europe, and means 'pawnbroker'. At the same time as the rise of Banking Preachers like Saint Bernadino were preaching against Gaming/gambling and exhorting the church to set up lending houses which would become very successful for the Church (because they charged interest and collected taxes) After 1400, political forces turned against the methods of the Italian free enterprise bankers -Not the Catholic lending houses. In 1401, King Martin I of Aragon expelled them. In 1403, Henry IV of England prohibited them from taking profits in any way in his kingdom. In 1409, Flanders imprisoned and then expelled Genoese bankers. In 1410, all Italian merchants were expelled from Paris. In 1401, the Bank of Barcelona was founded. In 1407, the Bank of St George was founded in Genoa. This bank dominated business in the Mediterranean. In 1403 charging interest on loans was ruled legal in Florence despite the traditional Christian prohibition of usury. Italian banks such as the Lombards, who had agents in the main economic centres of Europe, had been making charges for loans. The Lombards were Catholic, but did not have a cordial relationship with the Church, except in the relationship of money.
Take a long look at Card one- 'two to one' is shown clearly -two large tumblers, one small, the three circles associated with the Pawnbrokers symbol, but meant 'I the Banker ' and 'successful money transaction' - and the placement of the dice separated by the knife shape. The wand shapes on the table and one in the Hand.
So this card could depict the social commentary of the Moneychangers- the Lombard Man and a pun against the Lending houses set up by the Church when gambling houses were vilified and preached against.
In the black and white woodcut you can see the three pawnbroker balls by one player.
It seems to me that the story of salvation might not be the one shown in cards on the TdM style, rather social commentary of different sort- but the Visconti Magician looks like a Lombard Man too :D ~Rosanne

Attachments

• games5.gif
    games5.gif
    69.6 KB · Views: 110
  • BateleurNoblet.jpg
    BateleurNoblet.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 113

Rosanne

A Little information about Cahors.....
Cahors , town (1991 pop. 20,787), capital of Lot dept., S central France, in Quercy, on the Lot River. A commercial center, it has canneries, distilleries, and factories making a great variety of products. It was an important Roman town, an early episcopal see, and the capital of Quercy. It was ruled by its bishops until the 14th cent. and was one of the major banking centers of medieval Europe; the Cahorsin money lenders were among the most famous. The Univ. of Cahors, founded in 1322 by Pope John XXII (who was born there), was united in 1751 with that of Toulouse. The old part of Cahors is of great architectural interest. Part of the medieval fortifications, including a fortified bridge, still stand. The Cathedral of St. Étienne (12th-15th cent.), with Byzantine cupolas, and the palace of John XXII (begun 14th cent.; never completed) are among its many edifices.(HighBeam Encyclopedia)

Photo of the medieval fortified Bridge http://www.quercygites.co.uk/images/local-area/valantre-bridge.jpg
Interesting that it is over the River 'Lot'! Quite a humorous pun :D

Rosanne

The first significant reference to civil laws of Usury in England occurred in 1376, when the God Parliament unsuccessfully petitioned King Edward III to banish all "Lombard brokers" because they were usurers, and other foreign artisans and traders, particularly "Jews and Saracens," who were accused to having introduced "the too horrible vice which is not to be named" (Sodomy) which they thought would destroy the realm. So Usury, Sodomy,and gambling all became intertwined in Catholic economic morality which given the reforming attitudes about the Church seemed to gamblers like pious hypocrisy.

Lombard merchants had spread all over western Europe, a chief source of their ever-increasing wealth being their employment as bankers of the papal see, which had until the 1400's kept them safe.

In gambling houses,the practices of cambium and bills of
exchange, which were also sometimes tolerated, enabled merchants to make reimbursable advances of funds that could end up as loans in disguise. This is not what the Lombard man wanted. No, no! not an informal bank or facility outside their control.
Possibly the most famous Lombard Man in the people's view was Giovanni di Bicci de'Medici who was appointed banker to the pope in 1413.
I personally often wonder why if Tarot was considered a game firstly, that spiritual matters seem uppermost in peoples minds- when in fact it was images depicted of social commentary most likely. A punning sarcastic image in the hand of a gamer seems more appropriate. ~Rosanne

Rosanne

Another curious thing about the Bateleur on the TdM cards- is his table, which would be more likely called a bench.
BANK/BANKRUPT- In Medieval times Italian moneylenders used benches in the marketplace to conduct business. Latin for bench was Banca, which transferred to English as bank. These lenders were required to publicly break up their benches if their businesses failed, the Latin expression being banca rupta-, becoming bankrupt in English. Maybe it could explain the three legs. It is more obviously a bench on the Cary-Yale sheet.~Rosanne

Rosanne

There have been many discussions here about the name Bateleur. One connection I have not seen is why a bird from the Eagle/Hawk/Buzzard family is called a Bateleur.
Terathopius ecaudatus), small eagle of Africa and Arabia, belonging to the subfamily Circaetinae (serpent eagles) of the family Accipitridae. The name bateleur (French: “tumbler/tightrope walker”) comes from the birds' distinctive aerial acrobatics and the way it walks along a branch. About 60 cm (2 feet) long, the bateleur has a glossy black head, neck, and underparts; a reddish brown back; whitish to red-brown shoulders. It is a low flying Eagle with a short tail, that has to rock sideways to keep it's flying balance. It was used for sport and trained in Arabia in Medieval times- kept on a leash like all sporting birds.
If this was the common french term for such antics- why does the Bateleur in the cards not depict this? Could it be a pun of the Lombard man who walks the tightrope?

EnriqueEnriquez

Rosanne,

I enjoy reading your posts.

Not that it will answer your question, but what came to my mind while reading your post is that The Fool in Blanquerna carried a dog and a hawk.

Take this as pure random neuronal firing. :)

Best,

EE

Rosanne

Thank you Enrique! I thought I was warbling in the wilderness. I too enjoy your posts! I am glad your neurons fired because I have not seen that deck (The Blanquera), and will go look. Secondly I was thinking the Noblet in particular, how expressive the faces were and that the Bateleur and the Papesse are looking at him approach. Mother Church (La Papesse) thinking "He looks poor" and in need of help, The Lombard Man (Bateleur)thinking "Here comes my client"
Le Fou thinks "who is going to get my balls first?" whilst all the while the dog of need drives him forward. No wonder he felt exposed :D
Interesting to look at the cards this way- though I must say I prefer, when reading for myself to contemplate the Salvation story of them, rather than a cynical punning of secular affairs by the printer for his gaming public. Maybe I am biased from my days on the Protest Papers of the late 60's, where we published little cartoons for us plebs to get the political message. Well the TdM seems that way to me- Political commentary, that would have been laughed about and connected to playing the game and the gaming house itself.
Maybe the Fool is the Bateleur bankrupt? His stick all that is left from his bench? He is now nothing?
~Rosanne

Debra

Sometimes you ARE warbling in the wilderness BUT when I happen by I always stop to listen and learn....

Rosanne

One may ask if this Bateleur is a Lombard Man, why is there no coinage upon his table?
Well from the 1400's through to the 1600's in Europe there was fluctuating famines of Coinage- in fact in 1460 there were no coins available at all! Silver mines in Europe had been worked out and new sources had to be found- hence great explorations for this took place. By the mid-fifteenth century the tight monetary squeeze caused by the bullion famine was easing, a consequence of new discoveries of silver and developments in mining techniques. The impact of further new bullion supplies from the Americas was to transform money in Europe after the Middle Ages. 'Black Money' was more expensive than Gold coinage- it was made of some copper and tiny amounts of silver. In 1415 in Venice a coin was struck because of the bullion famine and it was called a Baggattini. It was made entirely of copper and crap metal so the population could have a coin for normal transactions. Now the Church received tribute from all over Europe and they went to the moneylenders- the Lombards to change their money(at this time to silver bars in the main)- the Lombards financed by the Jews(pawnbrokers) as was the State in many cases seemed to take their money back East out of Europe- which also added to the famine of coin. The people hoarded plate as did the church, which could in times of need be melted down (one reason why plate from this time was unadorned/plain and not in the museums now to any great degree) which brings me to the Chariot (Cameral merchants- the Camera Apostolica or collectors) in this different way of looking at Tarot as social commentary.
The Papal collectors gathered up the money- took it to the money changer and exchanged it for silver or gold costing the Camera aposolica 4 denari to the pound of coinage. It went in bulk wagons with the Papal seal, or he used a bill of exchange which brings us back full circle to the Bateleur at the international fair- the money changer- the Lombard Man = Mr Magic! He waves his wand and Hey Presto! the Baggatino becomes Gold or Silver.
A great read is the book 'Money and It's Use In Medieval Europe' by Peter Spufford.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

heheh Debra- thank you- it is good when I hear an answering chirp !!

One of the great families who were freaked out by the bullion famine were the Viscontis and Sfzora clans. The Medecci family were both Lombards and Cameral merchants and Papal bankers. They earned their money three ways lol. One of the side products of bullion famine was the increase in material spending on Art/Books/architecture - payment deferred because there was not coin available. Michalangelo had a great deal of trouble getting payment is one example. Wheels within wheels that filtered down to the poor ol gamer who wanted to spend a penny or two- but was hamstrung by the shortage of coin and Had to find other means to gamble like a mortgage or pledge within the gambling house itself. This transaction was was hindered by the Church ranting about the gambling and the Jewish moneylenders by preachers, and the reformation ideas of greed and corruption in the Church. Who became rich? The Medici's of course. ~Rosanne