the Ludy Lescott Tarot - one to look out for

Red_Ocean

One more day for the Ludy Lescot Tarot... :D

Briar Rose

I missed this deck's thread. What is this deck all about? It's avant garde isn't it?
Has anyone established whether Ludy Lescott is a real person?

HighPriestess

I missed this deck's thread. What is this deck all about? It's avant garde isn't it?
Has anyone established whether Ludy Lescott is a real person?

I don't think she is. I was under the impression that she was a character created to give the deck a sort of "framing device".

I watched a review on YouTube that talks about the cards and shows most (but not all) of them off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beOzDHC-xFQ

She actually liked the stabby baby card. I think it's an interesting interpretation of the three of swords.

After watching the review and getting a glimpse of more cards, this deck leaves me with mixed feelings. It seems more sombre when compared to my quirky-yet-romantically-goth Tarot of Vampires, but some of the cards are more comical than my more serious Bohemian Gothic. I have no idea what to make of the Magician, maybe he's conning the women who are watching him in some way. I don't know what the heck is up with the nine of cups AT ALL! For some reason, I really like the four of pentacles though, that guy just screams "miser" to me (either that, or Van Helsing from the movie of the same name). The kinkster hiding inside me loves the eight of swords!

I don't know though, some cards just seem so misogynistic that I'm feeling guilty for liking the other cards in the deck. Maybe I should just order the Wheel of the Year Tarot, I've been meaning to buy it since it first came out anyways.

tarot heart

I do not have this deck but have been looking at the recent posts about it.

What kind of name is "Ludy" anyway. I have never heard it before. It sounds more masculine than feminine in a way. Perhaps Ludy is a transgendered individual? Maybe that is why there is a card with her name on the gravestone, because she has made the change? I don't know.

But the stabbed baby card is very disturbing indeed!

Morwenna

It does sound masculine; could be short for Ludovic or something.

Elendil

It could just as easily be a contraction of Ludmila or a contraction of something French* since her surname is Lescot - with only one 't' not two, as erroneously indicated in the title to this thread.

*(I am thinking Elodie perhaps).

gregory

I don't think she is. I was under the impression that she was a character created to give the deck a sort of "framing device".
I suspect this, too. And the name makes interesting anagrams - I still think Dusty Cello is the winner (see further up the thread....)

HighPriestess said:
She actually liked the stabby baby card. I think it's an interesting interpretation of the three of swords.

So do I - sure it's disturbing, but - well, so is that three ! I find the clown MUCH worse.

HighPriestess said:
I don't know though, some cards just seem so misogynistic that I'm feeling guilty for liking the other cards in the deck. Maybe I should just order the Wheel of the Year Tarot, I've been meaning to buy it since it first came out anyways.
If you are making a choice - I have both; Ludy is FAR the more interesting deck.

I do not have this deck but have been looking at the recent posts about it.

What kind of name is "Ludy" anyway. I have never heard it before. It sounds more masculine than feminine in a way. Perhaps Ludy is a transgendered individual? Maybe that is why there is a card with her name on the gravestone, because she has made the change? I don't know.

But the stabbed baby card is very disturbing indeed!
As I said - rather suitably disturbing. I don't see it as misogynistic, either - if there is a "story" to it, I think it is supposed to be of Ludy's own journey, where she has been hurt and deceived by men. I don't see any particular suggestion of transgender, either.

Elendil

...if there is a "story" to it, I think it is supposed to be of Ludy's own journey, where she has been hurt and deceived by men.

This is very much the way I am interpreting the story 'behind' the deck.