The Moment (an essay on improving reading skills – yet not)

Umbrae

God knows how it started, whether it was the magic of a strange city, the loneliness of being away from our spouses, chemistry or the drink…one minute we’re talking about the weather, and the next – we’ve broached the forbidden subject.

It was the moment…

There’s a spot I go to when I meditate. It’s a place I can tell you about, but you’d go to a different place – we each go to a unique, quiet, spot.

I think of it as an internal garden.

Meditation – it’s not what you think…

I have different meditative ‘places’ where I go. I have one for when I go shooting – I squeeze the trigger, the hammer hits the primer, the cartridge fires, as the bullet leaves the barrel there’s a strong recoil that tries to jerk the hand up and to the right, a simultaneous loud report and before the bullet passes through the paper target I know where the hole will appear. There is a Zen quality to the moment. A quieting within before the trigger is squeezed.

In a shooting range, with gunfire going off all around you, it’s a difficult place to get to. It requires practice, and patience.

Control of breath…

You squeeze the trigger – you ‘know’ – there’s a bang and your hand jumps and the paper fly’s…but you ‘know’.

It’s the moment.

So there we were. It was a convention after all, everybody knows what happens at conventions…and she’s sitting across the table from me (keenly beautiful), those huge eyes, and I don’t know how it happened….

I used to cook in a retirement hotel in San Francisco years and years ago. The staff got used to the fact that I’d have everything ready, and just start cooking…I’d get to this place where I knew what the waiters were going to order before they dropped off their orders. Nothing sat under the heat lamps keeping warm…they knew to drop off the orders, and bang bang bang the orders were ready. Sometimes I’d have to remind them, “Don’t drop off unless you wanna pick up – pick ‘em up!.” I’d get ‘in the zone.’

Reading is kind of like that.

There’s a place I go to inside my head when I read. It’s place – a moment that takes up space – that’s not really a place and not really a time sequence as ‘moment’ would appear to describe.

It’s a place…a moment - stretched out.

So we’re sitting there, doing that verbal dance that people do when they are in a moment between stranger – friend. A spoken pas de deux, exploring boundaries…and it just happened.

I don’t remember if it was in response to a question, but she just said it – and that moment was one of such…trust.

I’ve tried to explain in previous posts about getting to that place – that moment that stretches beyond time. Somebody once got P.O’d at me (understandable) and stated something to the effect of “I suppose now you’re going to link us that old ‘Blank Spot’ post and talk about “extra-ocular vision mode” whatever that is…” and yeah…there’s this spot I go to – this time beyond time…a time/place of Zen, without the meditation. Extra-Ocular vision is one way to describe it. Seeing without the eyes…yet with…

But here’s the kicker…does it help in reading Tarot? Especially reading Tarot face-to-face? Will it improve your accuracy? Will it improve your ability to communicate and develop rapport? Does it help you focus and ground?

I think so. But how do we get ‘there’? I suppose one method is to mediate daily, just sit…perhaps contemplate the ‘card ‘o the day’. Nothing strenuous, maybe twenty minutes a day.

The problem with shooting is that it is loud, and hey…it’s firearms…dangerous stuff. I don’t recommend that folks go out and start buying firearms. It ain’t for everybody – even IF the skills that one can learn from the discipline are transferable skills, with beneficial results (the focus under adverse high stress dangerous situations).

Perhaps it was the excitement of the convention, magic of a strange city, the separation from our spouses, chemistry or the drink…she shook her hair back, gave that half-smile…. It was a moment of honesty. She chose to tip the scales, to tread to different waters…

I could be wrong, I know it’s not a guy thing per se, but it’s looked at that way. We all try to throw knives as kids, or all my friends and I did. I remember buying a set back when I was about eighteen. I never took the time to learn to throw them. They disappeared…

After my father died, going through the ‘stuff’, I come across a cheap throwing knife (what was my dad doing with it? And why did he have it stored carefully in with his gun-cleaning kits?), and an old cheap knife without a handle that’s wonderfully balanced. Both are light.

Throwing knives is a skill set. Experts agree, that for offensive or defensive purposes, knife throwing is useless. However as a skill, it teaches transferable skills.

Knife throwing requires physical balance, body awareness, mental focus, visualization, practice, patience, and breath control.

She was wearing a white sweater, tight jeans, and a black leather jacket. I may have asked, “So what else do you do?” or “What do you do for a hobby?” Hands resting on the table, relaxed…seriously, she gave a half-winsome smile, looked into my eyes – almost daring me – and said…

There’s one skill set for throwing cheap knives. They’re light and tend to float – twisting and turning in the air in addition to the expected and planned rotation – in the plane of flight between your hand and the target. It is easy to injure your shoulder from trying to over-throw light knives, to keep them from floating.

More expensive knives have enough weight to keep them from floating. They rotate in a predictable manner.

Both types of knives require mental focus, and a blending between the physical and the mental functions. Throwing well requires a meditative state – to learn how each muscle feels during the presentation, the back swing, the throw, and the follow thru. Then there is that Zen-like state where you stop thought and feel yourself do it – as opposed to thinking about it.

This is a transferable skill. I’m not talking about throwing tarot cards…I’m talking about that state you can get into when reading Tarot for others.

I suppose that to learn, one could paste all 78 Tarots around a large target. In the morning you throw three knives, and you get your reading. You could place The World in the middle, so as you improved, you could get a Triple World reading – that’d be cool.

I’m new at this knife-throwing thing. Since eye surgery I can’t go shooting (it can take up to 3-months to get your vision to where it’s supposed to be) and just for the record, I don’t throw well. Yet. But I practice daily.

Another ‘Thrower’ friend tells me, “Sometimes when I find myself throwing off, I consciously sort of shake myself off, and lower my center of gravity in my stance to feel more in contact with the ground and then refocus again - and breathe!”

Raking lawns – that’s another one I like to do. It is an act that lets me just ‘go away’.

I think that any activity that makes time stand still for you should be an important part of your life. Do it often.

I believe that in ‘live reading for a stranger’ situations, the ability to shut down all the external noise (visual and/or audio) is important. There are a ton of posts, where new readers are told, ‘ground yourself’. They ask, ‘How’, and are told to carry some stone…

Sure Onyx, or Hematite work well IMO, but…holding a stone may partially ground you. But….

To really ground…really and truly ground, requires more focus, more effort. You want to have a place/moment that you can ‘turn on’ and ‘go to’.

There was cigarette smoke in the air…it may have began to move funny, air currents shifting unnaturally. Little eddys opening holes, our vision clearing….

You will also find that hydration is important. Can’t shift your Ki? Keeps moving up? Hydrate. When that center of balance refuses to stay down…hydrate. Feel sick after reading? Hydrate and ground.

A discipline is a study that teaches you these transferable skills…

I don’t know how it started. It could have been the convention, the magic of a strange city, the loneliness, chemistry or the drink…one minute we’re talking about the weather, and the next, Nic kind of pulled her head back, shook her dark mane, created the moment, and with that daring half-smile said, “I throw knives…”
:smoker:

Teheuti

Umbrae said:
I’ve tried to explain in previous posts about getting to that place – that moment that stretches beyond time. <snip>
But here’s the kicker…does it help in reading Tarot? Especially reading Tarot face-to-face? Will it improve your accuracy? Will it improve your ability to communicate and develop rapport? Does it help you focus and ground?
First, that was an amazing piece you wrote. It was almost like a dance or circular martial arts movement around something that is impossible to precisely describe.

I've tried to write about this too. In sports they talk about getting into the "zone." You mentioned meditation, grounding and holding crystals. Other people use incense and smudging or white light. I emphasize meditative breathing and body language (feet flat on the floor - arms and hands open, directing or embracing the space) but I've evolved it out of experimenting with all the other forms you mention. (Though I haven't shot firearms or played with knives for a long, long time.)

Does it help in reading Tarot? I think so. It's related to what I call "enlivening the cards" - that point where they take on more dimensionality and even seem to shimmer. You can see a whole world in a card at that point. Later it's disappointing to see that the cards have become just flat, two-dimensional cardboard images again.

I don't read 'for' a person but rather 'with' him or her. I describe the experience as being like having a rubberband stretched from me to the person to the cards and the task is to keep a certain tautness to the connection (via attention and breath) - don't let it get lax or too stretched out. It helps to keep us focusing back on the image so that our dialog doesn't stray. This certainly improves the ability to communicate and develop rapport. It's also a kind of grounding - or more like centering and creates a sacred space.

I'd say that whatever helps you focus your attention on the goal and the means to it can be a help. Part of it involves not letting anything enter that is not a direct part of the experience.

Breath oxygenates the cells and brings my whole body intelligence to the triadic focus of querent, cards and what I have to bring to the situation. I should also say that this energy triangle is open to divine guidance from above and below.

Will it improve your accuracy? Personally I'm not interested in 'accuracy' being my goal. The more accurate I am, the more disempowering it is for the other person in that I, then, have all the answers that that person doesn't have. Instead, I use my knowledge of the cards to ask the person questions that will bring his or her own wisdom to birth. I find that if I listen closely I can usually hear when a person speaks from his or her own truth and authentic self. I also check to see if it's in alignment with the meaning of the card/spread. I then point this out and have the person repeat it until she can hear it for herself. However, this is my own reading style.

For me, focused attention along with a loving, compassionate intent that the person will find his or her own answers as a result of our conversation with the cards, is the key to getting into a 'zone' that will reverberate with heightened consciousness and truth-speaking.

Thanks again for the wonderful story.

Mary

poivre

Umbrae,
Thanks for sharing part of your understanding!

Imagemaker

You will also find that hydration is important. Can’t shift your Ki? Keeps moving up? Hydrate. When that center of balance refuses to stay down…hydrate.

And among the circling paragraphs, moving in on the target, is this key bit of wisdom--it's the full bladder that keeps us anchored to the moment.

Well, any pregnant woman knows THAT!

Thanks, Umbrae, for helping the males learn it another way . . . :D

Adjustment

Umbrae said:
You will also find that hydration is important. Can’t shift your Ki? Keeps moving up? Hydrate. When that center of balance refuses to stay down…hydrate. Feel sick after reading? Hydrate and ground.:

You are so right Umbrae, very good point.

magpie9

Funny thing about that---
I spent 2 years of my life standing for the knifethrower in the Circus. I know that zone from both sides. Still take my knives out every now and then, and stick a few. And yes, it is the same zone, the same concentration, sort of like tunnel vision in a place without time. And when it's going really really good, I can read the next card before I turn it over, just like knowing where the next knife has to go.

thank you, Umbrae, well said and well done.

Satori

Teheuti said:
I don't read 'for' a person but rather 'with' him or her....

Personally I'm not interested in 'accuracy' being my goal. The more accurate I am, the more disempowering it is for the other person in that I, then, have all the answers that that person doesn't have. Instead, I use my knowledge of the cards to ask the person questions that will bring his or her own wisdom to birth.

Well said, Teheuti.
Empowering the seeker and not sitting and spewing like some kind of monologuing demigoddess is important to me as well.
I find that this approach helps to demystify the Tarot a bit as well.

Because then I'm not trying to drop a bomb on somebody and dazzle them with my skills. It becomes about taking someone's hand and leading them only to find you are being led as well! Because in the end inner wisdom being birthed is why I read, selfishly, because I'm having all kinds of Aha! moments right alongside my paying customer!

Umbrae said:
Meditation – it’s not what you think…
Umbrae that is gonna end up a bumper sticker and you won't have made a dime if you don't print it up first! I think that sentence is probably some of your best work! ;)

Umm, also, while I'm a huge fan of the story within the story bit, there seems to be some unspoken, or rather, withheld information here...

I'm very interested in what you haven't told us! But of course! })

In your piece you build up a certain tension, like what Teheuti described, "I describe the experience as being like having a rubberband stretched from me to the person to the cards and the task is to keep a certain tautness to the connection (via attention and breath)", only you've done it via metaphor and the cliffhanger.

What I came away with is something that I've been toying with as well around the zone and what it is, how you find it. It has a lot to do with being in that pre-orgasmic place. That suspension of tension, the intake of breath, the heightened sensory perception that presages the orgasm, only in this case, we are building to a climax that is multi-dimensional, the essence that makes the cards "shimmer" before they later turn flat and we smoke the proverbial cigarette. (and you Know I'm a non-smoker...)

That is what you show us in your story, or part of what I saw and felt really.
That you were captivated, your attention was captivated, you shifted into a state of non-ordinary reality, by your emotional response to your knife-wielding friend, Nic.

I'm still not sure what the forbidden subject is...?
Occupation? Nah...

Just wondering if you are sporting any knife wounds other than the ones inflicted during eye surgery....

But that is another story, for another day, and another thread....

Imagemaker

Umbrae that is gonna end up a bumper sticker and you won't have made a dime if you don't print it up first! I think that sentence is probably some of your best work!

Not to imply that Umbrae's writing isn't full of great lines, this particular one doesn't happen to be original with him. It's been around the meditation world for a very long time, and has long been a poster and slogan.

I wonder if anyone DOES collect royalties on that one . . .

firemaiden

Umbrae, what takes me into the zone... is reading your posts. Posts like this. I begin to read, and then my sense of time begins to wobble and expand, bringing a feeling of something "magical".

I love how the moment described here, in between not speaking and then speaking - dips into a sense of the eternal, because of the way you expand and circle the narrative.

When I began reading "The Moment" - I thought you were going to talk about grounding, and wondered if you would take us on a visit to your sacred place. But you spoke about knives and guns, which surprised me. Because in a sense it compares the shot, and the throwing of the knife, to a tarot reading, which (I would think) feels like an act with much less, visceral thrust. The bullet shot, the knife thrown, are sudden, impulsive, some would say "violent" moments.

Perhaps the violence of the next moment highlights the poise and the silence of the one before. Perhaps it is like that moment for me, backstage, before the curtain goes up. In the next moment there will be a frenzy all around, and a huge outpouring of energy. But the moment before is a time of readiness and full attention, being one hundred percent present, like a tiger poised to spring, and yet at the same time, completely emptied of the self, does that make any sense?

satinangel

Again, Umbrae...

You hold me captivated...not only by your written words, but the words that are not written....you had me at the magic of a strange city...I knew I would have to take the time to read the entire post...you have a magical way of putting words together!

~SatinAngel~