The New/Classic Dr. Who Tarot thread

starlightexp

So not wanting to clog up the Torchwood/Dr Who Tarot thread with this I thought it would be fun to put together a pure Dr. Who tarot from both the Classic as well as the New series. I have TONES of Who stuff to pull from and I think kind of a retro-sci-fi look could be a fun diversion for a while. By using companions, alien races, planets, and episode plots I think there could be a whole deck here. Sure it might be a theme deck but maybe a bit more so. Gotta think on the design. Any ideas for cards?

I know in the other thread someone had mention one of my favorite companions Tegan Jovanka. She might make a good subject to base the 8 or 9 of swords around because she was a bit of a worry wart and always over thinking things.

Something like K9 could work on the Sun card as he was able to get people out of anything

I LOVE the idea of using the Key To Time as the World card as that was the WHOLE seasons story at one time getting those pieces together.

The TARDIS on it's own would make for an interesting Tower card just on it's own as it is very much the thing in the series that turns ones world upside down and opens the mind....

thoughts ....

ideas.....

complaints....

rif

starlightexp said:
I know in the other thread someone had mention one of my favorite companions Tegan Jovanka. She might make a good subject to base the 8 or 9 of swords around because she was a bit of a worry wart and always over thinking things.

That was me. :) Tegan, Nyssa and Adric were all three my favorites. (Yes I liked Adric).

In fact, Adric had a shocking death in Earthshock -- Death?

I was also toting with suits. I thought the sonic screwdriver would be fun for wands, although I'm not sure what to then use for the other suits.

Is the Master well suited as the Devil? I would think so.

Leela (?) would make a good strength.

It would be interesting to tell an overall story arc through each suit, but that narrows things down quite a bit. But for example, one suit could tell a broad story of the Daleks through the series timeline.

Daemon Lover

Hi. Would this be a deck based primarily on the classic or new Dr Who series?

starlightexp

I think there is a greater choice of artistic styles if one went with the old series. That gives us 157 story lines and about 800 episodes to get things from. I do like the idea a maybe doing the suites on a who theme. I had thought of the sonic screwdriver as well but yea I got stuck after that when it came to using unconventional suits. I'm thinking on starting with getting the basic ideas down for the cards then working on the symbology of the suits. I think, given the amount of material, there could really be something there if one figures out the right angle to work it at.

Adric as Death could work VERY well or maybe The Hanged Man because he knew what he was doing... what do you think on that?

starlightexp

rif said:
Leela (?) would make a good strength.

It would be interesting to tell an overall story arc through each suit, but that narrows things down quite a bit. But for example, one suit could tell a broad story of the Daleks through the series timeline.

I can't think of a better Strength card that that, and even her story in the series is a perfect ref for people to go back to.

I was SOOOOO thinking about the storylines for the suits as well. I think I might bust out my big series companion books and see what I can figure out. I'm currently doing a marathon of watching the whole series from beginning to end 1963-2011 so I'm getting WAY versed in the Whoniverse so maybe something tarot will come out of it....

Daemon Lover

How about Davros for the Magician? Probably a reversed Mage in meaning, but a magician none-the-less!

Ps I luv this character!

tabbycat

Davros ought to be the Hierophant - after all, he built a whole race to worship him!

Daemon Lover

Exactly, he Created them! They are the manifestation of his Will, vision and creative power. Is that not the essence of the Magician?

rif

starlightexp said:
Adric as Death could work VERY well or maybe The Hanged Man because he knew what he was doing... what do you think on that?

Ooh, nice twist. Gives me chills. Really! :)

Wasn't there another companion death, earlier in the series? Maybe that's another option for Death.

Or of course, the whole idea of the Doctor's regeneration, which is probably more fitting now that I think about it.

I don't like Davros as the Magician because, frankly, I think he's too warped. The Magician may have potential to be evil or megalomaniacal or whatever; but I don't think it should be biased into the cards.

I think a Doctor should be the Magician, myself. My first thought was John Pertwee, he has that jovial aspect. But then again, Tom Baker so captured the role for so many fans; and he often pulled surprising, magical tricks by doing this in his own way, that he seems a good candiate for me. (For the record, Peter Davison is my favorite Doctor, and I don't have much experience with pre-Pertwee.)

SilentBreeze

Also a big fan of doctor who both classic and new. what a great idea! If a deck like this were to come out I'd be the first in line to get it.

Maybe Davros should be the Devil, and the master should be the magician, because the magician can have a dark side to him, and The Master has all those crazy plans. I love the master one of my favorite characters. And the doctor should be The Fool, because he is crazy enough to go on all those adventures. Also he's so smart, that when he does anything it almost seems like he's doing it randomly. It should be a card to represent all the versions of the doctor. And then maybe split him up into regenerations in other cards.

And maybe the tardis should be the Chariot, because it brings the doctor places and he has to work on controlling it, which doesn't always work out. It doesn't always crash, so I don't see how it would fit the tower. Maybe Galifrei being destroyed in the new series can be the tower, because that's the doctors whole identity and he had to figure out who he was after that, and in general through the series he's trying to break away from who they are.

I like the idea of leela as strength, and Adric as death. Adric was great, I was so sad when he died.