The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck

INIVEA

Well I did a lengthy search here on the Mythic Tarot, I found quite a few thread on this deck, but a majority of them were on the New Mythic Tarot, which was received as negative. Everyone praises The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck. I am fortune to have found the first edition/printing deck 1986 :) in a second hand store and for darn cheap too :) I like it when I pay only a couple bucks for an OOP deck.

I though it would be nice to start a thread for just The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck. First 3 editions / printings of it.

I am new to this deck, I haven't read with it yet, will try it out soon though. I would love to hear what others have to say about The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck. How does it read? Did you have to know about the ancient Greek gods/goddess's before hand? can you just jump right on in with no knowledge of the Greek mythology? How good is the companion book? please tell your story / experience with The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck.

Aunty Anthea

This is the deck I love

Well I did a lengthy search here on the Mythic Tarot, I found quite a few thread on this deck, but a majority of them were on the New Mythic Tarot, which was received as negative. Everyone praises The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck. I am fortune to have found the first edition/printing deck 1986 :) in a second hand store and for darn cheap too :)

I though it would be nice to start a thread for just The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck. First 3 editions / printings of it.

I am new to this deck, I haven't read with it yet, will try it out soon though. I would love to hear what others have to say about The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck. How does it read? Did you have to know about the ancient Greek gods/goddess's before hand? can you just jump right on in with no knowledge of the Greek mythology? How good is the companion book? please tell your story /experience with The Original "Mythic Tarot" deck.

Just as I was thinking to start a new thread about the Mythic Tarot up you pop :D

I love the card stock, it is designed to shuffle easily without being at all slippery. The cream border is far kinder to the eye and a great deal less distracting than the rather horrendous stark white borders on some decks. The artwork is excellent and personally I prefer it to the much copied RW (OUCH! I feel knives being thrown at me due to my sacrilege)

I love the story the Mythic Tarot tells and find it a delight to read :love:

I believe that the Mythic Tarot was designed to encourage people into using their own feelings and institution :)

Not only does it come with a lovely hardback book, but there is also a workbook to guide you along with your thoughts. Though no longer in print, the workbook is available on ebay. I know this because this is where I got my copy from :)

I was hoping to reawaken peoples' interest in the deck so that the company would actually produce a deck of the original Mythic Tarot in a tin :D

I have one of the Original Black 1986 decks and a purple deck. I would love to know how many versions were produced before some idiot decided to re-design the deck and bring out the hideous comic book new mythic :(

INIVEA

Just as I was thinking to start a new thread about the Mythic Tarot up you pop :D

I love the card stock, it is designed to shuffle easily without being at all slippery. The cream border is far kinder to the eye and a great deal less distracting than the rather horrendous stark white borders on some decks. The artwork is excellent and personally I prefer it to the much copied RW (OUCH! I feel knives being thrown at me due to my sacrilege)

I love they story the Mythic Tarot tells and find it a delight to read :love:

I believe that the Mythic Tarot was designed to encourage people into using their own feelings and institution :)

Not only does it come with a lovely hardback book, but there is also a workbook to guide you along with your thoughts. Though no longer in print, the workbook is available on ebay. I know this because this is where I got my copy from :)

I was hoping to reawaken peoples' interest in the deck so that the company would actually produce a deck of the original Mythic Tarot in a tin :D

I have one of the Original Black 1986 decks and a purple deck. I would love to know how many versions were produced before some idiot decided to re-design the deck and bring out the hideous comic book new mythic :(

great minds read a like :D

I have the Original Black 1986 deck and book. I believe there are 3 original editions. 2 black with either hardbook / softbook, and 1 purple.

I'll be curling up tonight to read the book :)

I agree, why oh why did the new mythic artist create such a hideous deck, could the artist not see how horribly it was executed :( nothing like the Original.

I would so luv this deck to come in a tin. 2/2 so far. let see if we can get more Original Mythic Tarot Fans hopping for it to be in a tin.

starlightexp

There must be something in the ether because I was just sitting down with my original edition to take a lone thoughtful read through the book. I think the workbook might be available as an e-book but I might be wrong

rwcarter

The Mythic was the first tarot deck I ever bought. There's a very complete study group for the deck at Mythic Tarot. I don't use it as much any more but that's just as much because I don't do a whole lot of readings than that other decks have eclipsed it. As my first, it will always have a spot in my heart and my Tarot library.

Rodney

RiverRunsDeep

The original Mythic Tarot was my first deck! Nowadays, I look through the cards more for nostalgia than for readings, but I love it very much and wouldn't want to part with it. Knowledge of the myths adds interest and slightly more depth to the readings, but it is easy enough to read without the mythology. The companion book is one of my favorites.

rwcarter

Forgot to mention that I bought the Mythic because it focused on Greek Mythology, which I love. As long as you have some familiarity with Greek mythology, you should be fine without the companion book. But it does explain how the stories relate to the "more standard" imagery/interpretations of the cards. As the majors are unnumbered, you need to know what order they should be in. The companion book will tell you that as will the Index thread for the Study group. Also something that I didn't discover until the last few years - the Majors seem to follow the PF Case Astrological associations instead of the Golden Dawn associations.

Rodney

Aunty Anthea

The Mythic was the first tarot deck I ever bought. There's a very complete study group for the deck at Mythic Tarot. I don't use it as much any more but that's just as much because I don't do a whole lot of readings than that other decks have eclipsed it. As my first, it will always have a spot in my heart and my Tarot library.

Rodney

I have read some of what you have written and you have obviously studied the workbook in great detail :thumbsup:

Decided not to read anymore now that I have my own workbook. I thought it would be far better for me to work through my own thoughts and then I will compare them to yours. I doubt my findings will be anywhere near as detailed as yours. You definitely show a love of the Mythic Tarot in your studies and writing :love:

I intend to buy copies of all the different versions of the original Mythic Tarot. I hope that there are not too many ;)

Anthea

Ron521

The Mythic was perhaps the second deck I bought, back around 1998, the very first being Tarot of the Old Path. Mine has black card backs with a stylish pentacle/chalice design in the center, and a black 244 page softcover book, also a black cloth to spread on the table or desk for readings. No one has yet mentioned the artist, Judith Sharman, who is also known for the Sharman-Caselli deck, a RW clone done in her own style.

rwcarter

The Mythic was perhaps the second deck I bought, back around 1998, the very first being Tarot of the Old Path. Mine has black card backs with a stylish pentacle/chalice design in the center, and a black 244 page softcover book, also a black cloth to spread on the table or desk for readings. No one has yet mentioned the artist, Judith Sharman, who is also known for the Sharman-Caselli deck, a RW clone done in her own style.
The artist is Tricia Newell. Judith Sharman is the creator/author.