The Sherlock Holmes Tarot

shadowdancer

I have read the complete works of SH a couple of times over (before he was popularised through recent TV and film releases) and I have to say - I would NEVER have thought the stories or characters could be portrayed through a 78 card tarot deck.

Not to say they can't by the way, but I am trying to imagine how the cups would be shown. Swords and wands may be a given to a certain extent, but cups?? He was analytical, and not prone to showing feelings or even aknowledging feelings in the way most of us would. Certainly he did not often show the caring side of his nature, so I am headscratching as to how the suit of cups can be adequately portrayed. Unless of course, it will not be the traditional RWS styled deck.

Watch this space I guess. :) I am intrigued. And it is valid to ask if a detailed awareness of the complete works is going to be needed in order to really get the best out of the deck. It certainly was an advantage with the Jane Austen deck.

Yep - I will be following this with interest, and an open mind. However, I am hoping it is a seamless and comfortable marriage between tarot and SH. Not a stretch where fans of SH are left feeling disappointed, and tarot users in turn feel it is a tarot only in name.

The creator has a background in tarot, so we may well be pleasantly surprised.

AJ

I have mixed feelings about this one, although it's great to see the Baker Street detective having his own Tarot, I have serious doubts as to how useful it will for most readers. Will a querent be instructed to go away and read the complete SH canon before they can have their question answered?

Well it wouldn't be up to the querent to know the cards, but the reader.
In that respect how often does anyone say the Jane Austen tarot is their favorite, even Jane lovers? You don't even see it in trading anymore, too deep in the dark back closet :)

Glass Owl

I have read the complete works of SH a couple of times over (before he was popularised through recent TV and film releases) and I have to say - I would NEVER have thought the stories or characters could be portrayed through a 78 card tarot deck.

Not to say they can't by the way, but I am trying to imagine how the cups would be shown.

Me too! I am really curious about how the minors are set up and how they match up with the majors. I wonder if this deck will end up feeling more like an oracle deck rather than a Tarot deck.

desertrat

Not yet, still many more ridiculous themes to go in order to squeeze money out of the very gullible public.

*raises hand* AND I'm not the slightest bit ashamed!!! (ok, maybe a little). I tried to find images of this deck now that it is available for pre-order on Amazon, but came up only with the pic from the original post. :(

Winterchild

Well, just when I thought every subject under the sun had a tarot deck, along comes a new one!

Mwaaahahahaha...

I can't believe there hasn't been a Sherlock yet....

I am waiting for Tarot of the Goat *~*

Winterchild

*raises hand* AND I'm not the slightest bit ashamed!!! (ok, maybe a little). I tried to find images of this deck now that it is available for pre-order on Amazon, but came up only with the pic from the original post. :(

I can't even find that one Ratty... or any mention...

I am a latecomer to this thread but maybe they explore the other side of Sherlock like the author who wrote The Beekeepers Apprentice, where she gave him a love life of sorts, and it worked for me...

I read all the Sherlock's many times over as a kid, and again in later years. I didn't enjoy the new movies, and although I liked the modern TV series it soon grew thin... no mystery too wham bam... Sherlock has his era, he belongs with Bees and opium pipes not cell phones
and stuff!!! Just my opinion of course....!

AJ

the eddison sadd publishing site says it is out but the only images I'm finding are for a deck associated with the recent movie series.

Anyone got images?
-----------------------------------------------
At last, the world-famous adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson are transformed into a dazzling new tarot. Original characters make up the Major Arcana, and Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories are featured throughout. Victorian London, with its shadowy buildings and fog-bound streets, forms the perfect setting for the card imagery. Enter a world of extraordinary adventures and prepare to investigate your personal issues, just as Sherlock Holmes sought answers to crimes. Now, with THE SHERLOCK HOLMES TAROT, you can draw on the wisdom of the first and only consulting detective.

Book: 205 x 148 mm, 160 pp printed 1/1, 40,000 words tbc, illustrated throughout; 79 cards: 120 x 75 mm, printed 4/2

UK, US/Can

Winterchild

the eddison sadd publishing site says it is out but the only images I'm finding are for a deck associated with the recent movie series.

Anyone got images?
-----------------------------------------------
At last, the world-famous adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson are transformed into a dazzling new tarot. Original characters make up the Major Arcana, and Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories are featured throughout. Victorian London, with its shadowy buildings and fog-bound streets, forms the perfect setting for the card imagery. Enter a world of extraordinary adventures and prepare to investigate your personal issues, just as Sherlock Holmes sought answers to crimes. Now, with THE SHERLOCK HOLMES TAROT, you can draw on the wisdom of the first and only consulting detective.

Book: 205 x 148 mm, 160 pp printed 1/1, 40,000 words tbc, illustrated throughout; 79 cards: 120 x 75 mm, printed 4/2

UK, US/Can

can't find a thing, not even on the Matthews site...

it's a mystery ;-/

ETA On second look I found a vague Tower card on the Matthews site, but missed it before, thinking it was the Shamanistic Bible he is doing.

desertrat

I can't even find that one Ratty... or any mention...

Well...I'm not 100% positive, but on the link to the Hallowquest website given in the original post I saw an image which I took for one of the cards of the Sherlock Holmes deck. I could be completely wrong (Shocking, I know...). It pictures 2 men either falling or being pulled upwards in a beam of light.

Cocobird55

With two popular TV shows on it seems like it was just a matter of time. Interesting idea -- I will keep watching this one.