The Tao of the Major Arcana

youareafool

I wanted to post this in the general "tarot special interest" section but unfortunately I would have to choose one of the subforums and it doesn't fit in any of them [emoji28]. If it needs to be moved, just let me know

I will be examining the journey of the Fool the the World- from conception to balance. I am interested in exploring the cards of the major arcana as the different lessons in life one must experience and learn in order to find balance in the universe, or the World.

I would prefer not to debate in this thread, but instead put our heads together and explore this possible framework. Also, I would like to leave the traditional frameworks (numerology/astrology/Kabbala etc.) out of this discussion.

I understand if this doesn't interest very many people, but if it is okay I will update this thread as often as possible if anyone else is interested.

Lucas Prince of Cats

The Seven Stations Tarot Structure

This is what very much interests me! It's one of the topics I like to discuss in tarot, the reasoning for the structure. Now, there was once this great thread by DangerDork called "Epiphany! A new take on the major arcana!" In the thread we discussed looking at the cards in the following placement:

You already know, ofcourse that the fool is the journier, or the "unborn soul, before starting his journey in the mortal physical world" Each of the three rows are different paths. The top row is "how the world reacts to you" and relates to power, is masculine, and cardinal. The middle row is "how you react to the world" and realtes to learning, and social, and is adaptable ( as it' personality is based on what it follows. It can be whatever it finds socially acceptabel or commonly taught in a sense), and fixed. The third row is "how you and the world work together as one" and relates to individuality, and spirituality, and is feminine, and mutable.

Each path has seven steps an these steps may also connect with the seven planets and chakras. The steps or sations as DangerDork prefers to call it (he's making a seven stations tarot), are origin-insipiration-power-turning point-transformation-epiphany-success, and the origin is often who you start as, the turning point as kind of a looking glass that catalizes the transformation, and the success is who you are in the end.

Even the four suits have these paths. If you put the page and knight before the ace, than you get a oath going P-1-3-5-7-9-Q which is feminine and K-2-4-6-8-10-K. The feminine seizes the oppurtunity when it goes her way, and having oppurtunities is what makes them start their journey (the aces), whil ofr the masculine, that is acting to get something they desire or solve a cpnflict (twos).

The structure actually has really helped my readngs. For instance, it explains the last three cards a lot better, as success cards in different senses, and that the hanged man, wheel, and judgment are all turning points helps as well.

I'e never really thought of the tree of life really fitting in with tarot. I find some parts fit together, but it doesn't so much eem connected.

So, in the end, tarot is built and made up of steps up our different paths in life, to transform, learn and become.

Barleywine

I was going to suggest Sallie Nichols' Jung and the Tarot: An Archetypal Journey as a possible source of insight, even though I've never read it (I know, I'm a hopeless Luddite). But Bonnie Cehovet pretty much demolished it in an Amazon review I read, so maybe I was prescient? The idea of the "Fool's Journey," the attainment of self-mastery by dint of a symbolic odyssey that slowly transforms him from a callow neophyte into a wise and seasoned adept does seem to be a dominant motif in many modern psychological treatments of the Major Arcana.