Reading using different Decks - do the meanings change ?

Mystical13

I am just starting my tarot journey and learnt on the Rider Waite Deck. In addition, I wanted to start using the "Beginners guide to the Tarot" (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sharman-caselli/) Deck. My question - some of the cards seem to be quite different, for example the Queen of Cups of the RW deck seems to be over-analysing and over-run with emotion, she is trying hard to understand her emotions but is becoming overwhelmed. The card reflects some difficulty. Whereas the Queen of cups of the Beginners guide to the Tarot, seems to be connected with her emotions, balanced and in touch with, but not overrun by her emotions. The keyword for her in fact is "The beloved." The two therefore seem very different in their message (to my novice mind).

Hence, I am confused - How does one read when using different decks? Do different decks have different meanings for their cards? When I read a card, should I use my combined knowledge of the card? or should I stick to the image/message of the particular deck and not use my knowledge of another deck's meaning influence me ?

I apologise if this would be classified as a "stupid" question, but I am genuinely struggling with this and find it very puzzling.

Any light you can shed on this, will be super helpful :)

PS: readers who use many decks, how do you use your knowledge when reading different decks?

rwcarter

Welcome Mystical13!

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. :)

Interpretations can change between different decks because the decks are from different systems or the author/artist wants to highlight a different facet of the same card, among other reasons. (All of the cards are so multi-faceted that it's impossible to list every potential meaning of each card.)

As you're just starting out, I would suggest to try the meanings provided with each deck when using that deck. But if a particular meaning doesn't jibe with you, then don't force yourself to use it. The author/artist has listed the meanings that resonate with them for each card. If it doesn't resonate with you, then you don't have to accept it just because it's written down somewhere. Keep what resonates and discard what doesn't. (Although at some point in the future you may come across that meaning again and find that it resonates at that particular point in your journey.)

As someone with a lot of decks, when I do a reading, I look to the imagery of the deck I'm using to inform whatever interpretations I give. My feeling is that the particular deck was chosen for a reason over other decks. And since the difference between most decks is the imagery contained within, I focus on that when reading. So the differences you noted on the QC between the two decks would inform whatever interpretation I gave if that card appeared in my reading.

Rodney

Barleywine

I'm surprised nobody else has chimed in yet. My take: the rule-of-thumb is that all RWS-based decks can be read pretty much the same at their most fundamental level of interpretation (although the imagery in some is more conducive to story-telling than others), as can all Thoth-based decks. There is less consensus on how to read the Tarot de Marseilles. Decks that don't follow any of these traditions are often viewed more as oracle decks than tarot and are read according to their own particular viewpoint. All writers like to add their own thoughts and embellishments to the canon, so you really have to sift through these in light of the basic knowledge set to see what, if anything, resonates for you. The established conventions give us a common language with which to discuss our observations and opinions, but for the purpose of reading you can diverge as you see fit, as you gain experience.

ETA: Ah, Rodney sneaked in while I was editing :)

Mystical13

Thank you Rodney

Your personal experience has helped dispel my confusion for now ;)

"I look to the imagery of the deck I'm using to inform whatever interpretations I give. My feeling is that the particular deck was chosen for a reason over other decks. And since the difference between most decks is the imagery contained within, I focus on that when reading."

That makes a lot of sense and resonates with me. So for now this is going to be my guiding principle.

Ps: "The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask." Makes a lot of sense as well :)

Thank you for your insight and guidance.

Mystical13

Thank you Barleywine,

I agree with you; at least at the start - "The established conventions give us a common language with which to discuss our observations and opinions" and as I gain in knowledge I can then "diverge as (i) see fit".

Both Rodney and you seem to echo - the key is what resonates with me, as I see the cards and get to know them better.

Thank you for your guidance :) I am definitely feeling more confident about how to proceed in my learnings.

Nemia

Reading the cards is quite a complex action, if you think about it. You have the querent and his question (or yourself and what you think you know about yourself), you have the spread and all the interaction between cards, and you have the meaning of a specific card on a specific position. And this card is on the one hand the concrete piece of cardboard with a reproduction of an interpretation given by an artist - and on the other hand the basic meaning of the card as it is traditionally known.

You have to make sense of all of it together, connect it with other information (astrology, color symbology, numerology, kabbalah, elements, alchemy... whatever is at your command), and translate what is bubbling around in your head into words. And you can do it! And you'll become better and better with it.

Each of us finds his/her own way of managing all this information. I keep in mind the traditional meaning with its associations, based on what I know about the deck's context - let's say I read with the Tarot of Saints, and the Star is St. Therese of Lisieux. But it's still the Star. So I combine my idea of the Star with the deck's creator's concept who saw the Star's essence embodied in St. Therese.

If I feel that the artist's concept is too limited or too much influenced by his underlying "idea", then I draw on the traditional idea. Let's stay with St. Therese - if I feel that there are aspects of the Star which are not covered by Therese, I'll still use them, because the card only represents the principle "core" of the card meaning

If on the other hand the artist added something that I didn't know before about this card, and excellent card artists do that all the time!, then I use that information. If get this information by reading the book, by looking at the visual clues, facial expressions, colors, symbols etc.

Obviously, the more you know about the core card meanings, the easier your balancing act becomes.

And for me, that's one of the great things about tarot. It's never mechanical, never predictable, each reading is a totally new system of meanings.

Tanga

...PS: readers who use many decks, how do you use your knowledge when reading different decks?

I am RWS schooled. So the cards go down - and as I look at them the first things that automatically pop into my head are the "traditional RWS" meanings that I learned (specifically some of my personal keywords and phrases).
I think of all this within the context of the question asked.
Then, I look at the symbols in the cards and see what variations, additions or alternatives they provide to my RWS meanings. And I also look at what particular story the images/particular style of art of the cards, are telling me at that moment, just as they are.
(A combination of rote based meanings and intuitive ideas).
I let it all bubble around in my head - and then present my offering to the sitter.

I find it a wonderfully creative process - and as Nemia says - each reading is totally new.

I would suggest you stick to one deck whilst you are learning - until you've got a handle on the "established conventions". Then you can branch out and play with others (if you so wish).

Mystical13

Dear Nemia,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply - you are so right, reading the cards is such a complex action, and as a beginner, it is easy to get overwhelmed. When I first read your reply, I was like - "whew ! damn its complex." But then I read it again and again and I do see the beauty and the simplicity inherent in a reading.

I guess a large part of it, is my concern "am i doing it right?", but I need to let that fear go and have patience and be open to learning with my cards. I find great strength in your - ".. And you can do it! And you'll become better and better with it. Each of us finds his/her own way of managing all this information."

Having you explain how you do your readings, was very helpful - as it helped shed light on my initial questions. (( "I keep in mind the traditional meaning with its associations, based on what I know about the deck's context - let's say I read with the Tarot of Saints, and the Star is St. Therese of Lisieux. But it's still the Star. So I combine my idea of the Star with the deck's creator's concept who saw the Star's essence embodied in St. Therese. If I feel that the artist's concept is too limited or too much influenced by his underlying "idea", then I draw on the traditional idea. Let's stay with St. Therese - if I feel that there are aspects of the Star which are not covered by Therese, I'll still use them, because the card only represents the principle "core" of the card meaning. If on the other hand the artist added something that I didn't know before about this card, and excellent card artists do that all the time!, then I use that information." ))

Thank you for helping me on my path :)

Mystical13

Dear Tanga,

Thank you for giving me a snapshot into how you read; it helps shed light on the way ahead.

I learnt on the RWS deck as well and am currently using decks that follow this tradition. So, as you suggested, I plan to stick to the RWS tradition till I feel comfortable and confident in my learning and readings.

Once again, thank you for sharing :)

Mystical13

Thank you all

I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has responded. It is amazing to get an insight into how others read.

I appreciate you taking the time and replying to me. Since, I first posted my question to now - I feel like I have a good base understanding and know how to proceed.

Wish you all a lovely week !