the world card

empresslove

why does the world card represent the end of a relationship when in a relationship spread?

i did a larger spread with other cards and got the world, 10 of pents and 3 of swords as the eventual outcome for a relationship. it obviously looks like the end... but why does the world typically represent the end or breakup of a relationship?

lilac04

the world is well travelled, gone many places and knocked on many doors. It's simply gone around the world, seen and done everything and completed a cycle. It's finished.

tarotbear

It could mean 'It is breaking up for the best;' perhaps it is time to end - and the 'end' will be the best thing for all involved, or perhaps whatever conflicts were the cause for the 3 Swords will come to an end and be overcome by the World card... This is assuming the World is the card in the final position. However whether it is 'World/3 Swords/10 Pents' or vice versa, the 10 Pents or World both reflect rising above the circumstances.

A Word to the Wise: although spreads may have 'positional' meanings - they are fluid. The Tarot is not constrained by Past/Present/Future even in doing a P/P/F spread. Your original question "why does the World card represent the end of a relationship when in a relationship spread?" makes me ask - Does it? What are you basing this on? Should the World card represent the end of a relationship?

empresslove

thank you lilac! i see what you mean, the world is like the old man who seen it all...

the world is well travelled, gone many places and knocked on many doors. It's simply gone around the world, seen and done everything and completed a cycle. It's finished.

empresslove

thank you tarotbear, to address your question the spread wasnt a past,present,future spread, actually it wasnt even a positional spread, just a question my friend asked and we pulled 3 cards... world, 10 of pents and 3 of swords... to me at first glance and at last glance i saw it as a break up, its an on going relationship at present and w/ the world, 10 of pents and 3 of swords present in the spread, i see it indicating the end of their relationship...

but I've also done other spreads where the seeker (usually a friend) will ask 'will we get back together' and for spreads of thais nature and question, i feel like the world would represent a 'beginning' rather than an end... so thats why my overall question, why does the world card always represent an end? even when its a related to a relationship that has already ended and the seeker is asking if a "reconcilation" is foreseeable in the near future.

It could mean 'It is breaking up for the best;' perhaps it is time to end - and the 'end' will be the best thing for all involved, or perhaps whatever conflicts were the cause for the 3 Swords will come to an end and be overcome by the World card... This is assuming the World is the card in the final position. However whether it is 'World/3 Swords/10 Pents' or vice versa, the 10 Pents or World both reflect rising above the circumstances.

A Word to the Wise: although spreads may have 'positional' meanings - they are fluid. The Tarot is not constrained by Past/Present/Future even in doing a P/P/F spread. Your original question "why does the World card represent the end of a relationship when in a relationship spread?" makes me ask - Does it? What are you basing this on? Should the World card represent the end of a relationship?

WalesWoman

world, 10 of pents and 3 of swords... to me at first glance and at last glance i saw it as a break up, its an on going relationship at present and w/ the world, 10 of pents and 3 of swords present in the spread, i see it indicating the end of their relationship...

but I've also done other spreads where the seeker (usually a friend) will ask 'will we get back together' and for spreads of thais nature and question, i feel like the world would represent a 'beginning' rather than an end... so thats why my overall question, why does the world card always represent an end? even when its a related to a relationship that has already ended and the seeker is asking if a "reconcilation" is foreseeable in the near future.
When it comes to the World and relationships, if it's a dating one, then the next step is either get married or break up, because it can't go on the way it is anymore... basically the World says, you've done everything you possibly can with the present situation, step up or step out, it's time to move on. Last card, coming full circle... The End (of this and the beginning of something else) Last call, or as they say at closing time at the bar, "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

Mostly it could be the realization of everything that has made it what it has become, the world always turns, so also it can't just stay the way it is either. If the relationship is good, it will transcend into something better, if it's not, then it's time to get out of it... and if it's a relationship that has ended... it's still over and done with and realize that you can't go back to what was or what might have been.

The cards you drew say that... It's over, it's done with, let go.

Bettylou

This card does say for me usually and ending in relationships, i have had this card in so many readings for friends and now they dread seeing it in their readings? But not everything with the world card means completion/over...it can mean a new relationship is likely going to be just around the corner.

Nemia

It may also mean (imho) that the relationship is ready to be lifted to the next plane. Like a spiral - you touch the same places but on a higher plane.

There it differs from Death. Death really says that it has to end, you have to let it go, have to let it sink on the compost heap of your life where it will rot and become fertile soil for completely different things.

But World may mean the next cycle, but not necessarily with different players ;-)

This card always reminds me of the three meanings of the German word aufheben - who was the philosopher who wrote about it? Hegel?

Aufheben means: to retain (preserve), to lift up and to abolish. For me, the World card does all three things. While you abolish the old and lift your life to the next plane, you take with you things you preserved - to say it in the most simple way.

PAMUYA

Wonderful answers here, to add I have also had this read: World-this is as good as it gets. I do always remind my clients, that things never remain the same, we must remain flexable.

theboomz

Completion

Hmm, I was taught one meaning for the World is Completion.

That's why that tarot sentence looks like a break up. It doesn't always mean completion, depends on context, of course.