Thoughts about the 9 of pentacles...

csophia

I'd like some thoughts about the lady in the 9 of pentacles in the RW cards...
I think she is a mature, independet woman. She is lonely, dresses really well. She is a pretty woman. Sensual?

If someone is a 9 of pentacles for a guy? I mean that's the way he sees her... all the above I think. Do you have more thoughts about her?

What would be the difference between her and the Queen of Wands?

queenxofxwands

she has it all, within easy reach, life on a plate if you like...it could be he sees her as easy pickings, its all there, laid out for him, of course thats the negative side, because theres no challenge there. Its all too easy.

earthmama

This is the "big catch" card for me. If he sees her as the 9/Pents, he sees her as highly desirable, mature, stable, resourceful, and can take care of her own. She is very independent and doesn't need a man to take care of her, so she's content being alone. This independence can sometimes be threatening to men, because they want to be the provider and 'the man' in the relationship...but with this 9/Pents gal, she doesn't need one of those (so I think that's why sometimes people see her as lonely...but I just see her as holding out for the right guy who can embrace her independent nature).

I've also read somewhere that he may feel that she's out of his league...I like this interp as well, but haven't had it come up like that yet.

The Queen of Wands is different mainly because of the element (and she's also a queen). She's passionate and fiery! She's also very independent and likes to take the leadership role in relationships (unless she has a strong King of Wands to balance it out). She is assertive, takes action, and does her own thing. She can hold her own just as the 9/Pents, but I'd say she's looking for her King to rule by her side and isn't as content to be alone as the 9/Pents gal is.

danica

I've found that in relationship readings, the 9 of pentacles indicates that it's not going to work (for whatever reason the other cards indicate)- for me, it's the "accept being single for now" card, enjoy your independence, and focus on yourself and your own path.

I agree with you, csophia that there is an element of loneliness- something in the body language, or general feeling of the card, but also a sense of growing strength that comes from the experience of aloneness. I think that deep down she wants to be single and explore solitude at this point, despite this loneliness.

I think if this card came up in answer to how a guy thinks about you, he may feel like you are too independent or too good for him.. or somehow unreachable/unattainable.. There could also be a message in there to let your gaurd down a bit and let someone else take care of you, and to allow yourself to be vulnerable.

danieljuk

The woman in the 9 of Pentacles is very independent. One of the few tarot cards for me where she doesn't want a relationship because she has riches and a good life but to win her over you need to give her riches and nice things. She is extremely choosy in relationships, she wouldn't settle for anything less.

The difference between that and the Queen of Wands. Well the Q of W doesn't have those riches and money but is warm and determined. 9 of P is not so warm I think to people she doesn't know or in the same league or class. I got the Q of W in a reading in the last 24 hours and it was really for a woman who wants a lot of sex. The 9 of Pentacles wouldn't do that.

In TarotBear's book he talks about alternative meanings to the 9 of Pentacles and they are from card images which are not RWS. It gave me a slightly different image of the card now because before I thought she had such a wonderful life but was a bit on her own. He points out in some cards you see her in the garden with a big metal gate. Is that to keep the other people who might not be so rich out? or to trap her in? is she like a kept woman or the "other woman" who is trapped in that property. there is almost a sinister image of it that I now have. Does she have it all and is she really happy? so it might be for me now an independent woman who has gained all she has herself! she is difficult to get in relationships with, she wouldn't go for a man who wasn't rich to share her money with probably. But maybe she is the mistress or a kept woman who is almost "trapped" in that situation. just some ideas :)

Starshower

What interesting views. Daniel, I hadn't seen her as crassly materialistic and only willing to have a relationship with a rich man - but now, that is obvious! I know people like that, unfortunately. Shallow & selfish, where character takes a back seat to conspicucous consumption and showing off. Eugh. Thanks for the insight.

I'd just like to add that she could be seen as the trophy wife of a big wig - a knight away at the wars, a travelling businessman, politician or famous person ... and so often left waiting at home, safe in her castle & garden, but feeling 'trapped in a gilded cage.'
She has every material comfort, but is alone, and this might not always be by her own choice, or a price she is happy to pay for outer luxury.

We tend always to see the many positives about being alone (I too am usually alone by choice). But sometimes, solitude CAN mean loneliness. We need to remember this in in-depth readings, imo.

Would she ever dream of being 'rescued' & born away by a passionate 'raggle-taggle gypsy-o'?!

eta: I think I'm probably projecting my own attitudes too much here! I would much prefer poverty, intellect, warmth & humour among interesting people to lonely riches (& all the accompanying guilt about having them when others haven't) any day.
Perhaps this woman simply isn't me! lol.

csophia

So interesting views!! There's so much about her...

It could be that she is so used to good things in life... is natural for her.

It could be that he sees her as a lonely person at the work environment, that's where they see each other, and she has been in this company for only 6 months..she doesn't know many people in there...

He might see her as something unreachable as well... maybe too much for him...