Twilight Realm - A Tarot of Faery

daphne

gregory said:
There are 7 scans here, and a couple of different ones on Tarotgarden's site. Also if you use google images you can find quite a few individual cards.

It always astonishes me that people expect to be able to see a whole deck before buying it. We don't get to read a whole book before buying, so where is the difference ?

For me it is a difference between a book and a deck. With a deck I will work a long time, over and over again, and sometimes I need to see those images before I decided it is or not for me.
A book is different, one time read, then you put it on the shelf and most probably never open it again, as other books will come, the turnover is much higher then a deck. If you want, I can compare a deck with a house and a book with a dress. In a house (deck) I can stay for years, dresses (books) I change monthly.

And seeing the scans helps me to know whether I will be able to connect with it or not, it is important for me.
Of course, there are those decks when only few images are already enough, I know at once I will like it, but for others, like this case, it is a so-so impression and I need more then a sample to decide about it.

daphne

Le Fanu said:
I'll buy anything given the right mood and I see this deck often in shops around here and yet it is always so expensive, with all that thick Schaeffer packaging. Even online it isn't cheap. A few pounds more and it's enough for a Meneghello, so no contest really. I always end up deciding not to buy it

But I do wonder about it.

Same here. I wonder about it having already Klimt Tarot calling for me badly and in the same price range. For Klimt I could see all scans online and I am pretty sure I will buy it these days and love it instantly.
I just wanted to see this one to ponder the impression. Eventually I will buy them both, I guess, it is a matter of time. :)

Le Fanu

Wands as Air, Swords as Fire? Would that make a difference to you?

ETA; Have you seen the additional pictures in Post 24?

daphne

Le Fanu said:

Huh! It depends. Yes, it makes quite a difference if they don`t go far from RW with the imagery.
(On the other hand, it won`t make a difference in Klimt case, where it is already a quite far representation from classical set-up.)

(ETA; Have you seen the additional pictures in Post 24?
- No, I missed them, thank you!)

Nina*

gregory said:
It always astonishes me that people expect to be able to see a whole deck before buying it. We don't get to read a whole book before buying, so where is the difference ?
Where's the comparison???? A book I'll read once (definitely most of them at least) a deck I'll be working with over and over again, and therefore have to like the images I'm going to work with.

autumn star

Le Fanu said:

ETA; Have you seen the additional pictures in Post 24?

It does make a slight difference to me. I have this deck and the Legend deck which also has the same system. It kind of annoys me because I would imagine that changing the element of the suit would also change around all the meanings. As I am looking through the Twilight Realms book now, I see that the attributed meanings to the Wands suit are very similar to the traditional RWS meanings with the element of fire as are the swords similar to their traditional air meanings - so if they swords became ruled by fire & wands by air - it seems logical to me that their meanings would reflect that element. Maybe it's just me. I have found this hard with the Legend deck too, but in that deck it seems like the meanings of the cards are altered and they more reflect stories/legends.

I love this deck though. I don't read with it all that often but it is beautiful :) I love the majors especially the Emporer, Hierophant, Lovers, Strength, Hermit and all the courts - I think that the artist can depcit people really well. The cups suit is also really pretty.

Miss Divine

Who all uses this deck and how is it as a reading deck? I like the scans, but liking the scans doesn't necessarily make it a good reading deck (for me).

Manda

Some of the cards are a bit twee, but I really do like it! I used it as deck of the week recently.

Pandora MoonRaven

I use it and find it reads remarkably well. It is actually the only Fairy deck I have ever found works for me. There are a couple cards I am not in love with but most of the cards are beautiful and symbolic. You don't have to know everything there is to know about Fairy to read with this deck. :eek:) I didn't feel like I had to learn a new system or everything about fairy to read with it. It was pretty simple to just pick up and run with it.

I like it. :eek:)