Universal Fantasy - The Wheel

thorhammer

Hiya, all! I went out this morning, to the pub . . . }) for breakfast }) with my UF deck })})}) He he he.

The Wheel is one card that continually stumps me, in every deck, and I was sitting there waiting for my omelette and pondering this particular card.

It struck me that the structure which is apparently the Wheel in this image is some sort of sentient being, like an alien intelligence. The LWB says: "That which has been will be again. The eternal cycles of life dominate our destiny." When I read this, I noticed that the structure through which the Wheel walks is an old building, but it's being reclaimed by nature, with the grass growing inside the doorway, and the moss slowly creeping further and further up the walls. The other building in the distance looks much newer, and not open to the elements like this one is. The Whee stalks through the shadows of this ruined building, almost like it's got designs on the other one, too.

There's an instantly sinister feel to this card, but on further consideration, I realise it's not really, it's just that this being, this Wheel, has an agenda that is so cold, all-seeing, all-pervading and so far beyond our understanding that it seems to be sinister.

The machine itself is basically circular, thankfully, but its component parts are linked inextricably in a seemingly impenetrable fashion. There are connections between the parts that make no sense to me . . . and of course there are! The connections between all facets of life, all people, things and beings are beyond my understanding, but they're still there, aren't they? The decorations - are they just decorative? Or are they magical sigils? Are they inherent to the Wheel's function?

The figure seems to be moving from the left side of the image to the right side, like it's walking, but there's a sense of circular motion, too. I think it's conveying the idea of forward movement through endless cycling through, like the old saying, "What goes around, comes around".

What are other people's impressions of this card?

\m/ Kat

Queen of Disks

I'd see this Wheel and think "Uh-Oh, here comes Trouble..." It tells me that Change is inevitable. You can run from it, avoid it, or deny it, but sooner or later the Wheel of Fate will be rolling your way, and things will never be the same.

The card's atmosphere reminds me of ancient Greek tragedies or fairytales. What I mean is, the idea of the inevitability of Fate. In fairytales, there always something deceptively simple you can't do, otherwise something horrible will happen. And you end up doing it anyway. Or in Greek tragedies, where humans find out that they are subject to the rule of the Gods the hard way, and you just know the punishments are coming big time. That's what this Wheel is like. It's a metaphor for Karma or Divine Will or Fate, and there is not much you can do when it rolls up to your door.

Does this make any sense? My head is killing me right now. Sorry for rambling.

thorhammer

((((Queen of Disks))))

No! Not rambling! Brainstorming! :D It makes all sorts of sense, in that it fires lots of little neurones in my brain. It made me think "inexorable", and yes, that Wheel machine is like that, totally bent on its purpose, so unlike us in its "thinking" that there's no way we could stop it or convince it otherwise.

Yep, you're makin sense. At least in my head. :)

\m/ Kat

elvenstar

I like this idea of the wheel 'walking', thorhammer, it never occurred to me. But yes, alien intelligence, definitely, and cold, almost sinister. I totally get where you're coming from.

Initially I had very mixed feelings about this card. Whenever it turned up I got annoyed, because I drew a blank, 'aarrrgh' I can't read you, what are you on about, what should I do, what does it all mean?' Mystery, unknown, unfeeling clocks ticking and components moving in unfathomable ways, can I even operate this machine? Or is it operating me, more likely? Then I got to terms with it and realised that of course all this is part of its meaning. You can't manipulate the wheel :)

I really like the image, it has a lot of atmosphere, like this wheel is an ancient piece of machinery, mysterious and impenetrable, eternal. It was already ancient when the building was raised around it, the stones are now crumbling, but the wheel is still there, unaffected by the passage of time. Because it is time.

The people moved on, built another city a bit further away and try their best to ignore the wheel, because its existence makes them uncomfortable, reminds them there's things that they don't have control over. But it's still there and aspiring mystics go and camp next to the ruins, spending weeks and months meditating in front of it, studying it's symbols and cogs, hoping it will reveal some of its secrets to them. A bit like reading tarot!

The heroes come across it on their travels and wonder about the mysterious symbols on it. Do they try their luck with it? Do they try to find and pull a lever? Most would, otherwise it would make for a boring story ;) And that's another meaning I've come to associate with it. Try your luck, dare.

Ah, I could go on forever, but I think I'll stop my rant here :D

Queen of Disks

Nice to know I was comprehensible. (I really didn't feel well, and I kept messing up my typing. I feel much better now, though.) Thanks!

I am finding I am getting a better idea of the meanings by writing about the cards. It's nice to have this study group...

Rede Seeker

Since we are brainstorming...

Anyone pick up a 'vibe' from the Wheel, the Ace of Pentacles, and the golden sphere around the Star's hands?

My thoughts are that the Wheel is the most evolved form (did the artist intend this pun?); the Ace of Pentacles is it's transitory form (another pun?); the Star has access to it's power to rejuvinate.

Enhancing the Wheel's connection with Mystery are the runes scribed on it. (Not the Elder futhark but not Theban script, either).

Queen of Disks

The writing makes me think The Wheel was built by a civilization so old that nobody remembers who built it or why. No one remembers how to read the writing on the Wheel either, and what the main purpose behind it was is now lost. To the city dwellers in the background, the Wheel probably has always been there, and most people avoid the Wheel as much as possible.

Or, the Wheel may have been built by the Gods, and the writing on it is Divine Writing. Probably most average people would not be able to read the writing, but a few priests might.

thorhammer

The writing, for me, brings to mind the theories involving deity and alien contact - "Chariots of the Gods" by Erik von Daniken, for example. It's alien. I truly see this machine as being of another world entirely than the one the rest of the deck is set in - perhaps even another dimension. Pan-dimensional? If I were to "enter" the world in the deck, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole machine was made of a metal/organic alloy found nowhere else . . . you know?

\m/ Kat

Rede Seeker

Oh, Yes....

My 3rd Eye Chakra is throbbing...this deck does things to me. It sounds like it's doing similar things to you, Thorshammer.

thorhammer

Rede Seeker said:
My 3rd Eye Chakra is throbbing...this deck does things to me. It sounds like it's doing similar things to you, Thorshammer.
Roger that. It's another thing entirely. I really think this deck's a whole paradigm shift. I just hope my intelligence is up to receiving the full potential of its messages!

\m/ Kat