USG Cagliostro Editions

rwcarter

I know there are various versions and editions of the Cagliostro from different publishers, but this question is about the US Games printings of the deck. I just got a deck I won off eBay that has a blank card with it. The deck I've had for many years doesn't have a blank card with it.

The only clue from the boxes to them being different editions is the address for USG. The edition with the blank has the New York address while the edition without has the Connecticut address. Looking at the LWBs, inside the cover of the edition with the blank are the numbers 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 (which I believe means either 2nd or 3rd printing) while the edition without the blank has the numbers 10 9 8 7 6 5 (4th or 5th printing). I think the edition without the blank was shrinkwrapped when I got it (meaning it was new), so it never contained a blank card.

Does anyone know if the blank was missing from that deck or if USG stopped including the blank sometime between the two editions?

Rodney

gregory

I have one from Modiano and one from USG.
Would it help if I dragged them out ?

Eta TWO from Modiano - 1955 and 1981.....

Abrac

Rodney, I used to have an early printing of the Golden Dawn Tarot and a later one. The early one had a couple of extra cards that the later one didn't. I got to looking at them and noticed they had consolidated. Whereas formerly some of the extras were only printed on one side, both sides were printed on the later one reducing the number of cards. My guess is that the extra blank card was probably dropped, but since I don't actually have the editions you're talking about I can't confirm or deny. :)

rwcarter

gregory,

I have an undated Modiano Cartomanzia 184 with the red backs. Since it has a bar code on the bottom of it, I assume it's the 1981 version. It doesn't have the blank card with it.

I'm just curious if my newer printing should've had the blank card or if sometime between the two printings the blank card was dropped. It's not a huge deal, just a small curiosity....

gregory

OK - I will look - in the morning; I was on my way to bed.....

Abrac

Rodney, would you happen to know who printed yours? Are they both both printed by the same printer? Are there any notable differences between them?

I have the Cagliostro Tarot 184 but have never seen the US Games version and am curious.

Umbrae

I've seen a few copies...and am curious.

Has USG ever printed a non-English version?

I've seen red backed English versions, that vary in the translations from the blue backed English versions.

I've never seen an Italian blue backed version.

Both of my current red backed Italian versions came opened with no lwb.

One in a Cartomanzia 184 box.

And one in a burgandy next box with a push out hole in the bottom and an embossed Modiano logo on the lid (this appears to be from the 50's, with thicker cardstock)

rwcarter

Abrac,

The boxes both say Made in Italy by Modiano on the top flap and Deck printed in Italy - Box and booklet printed in the U.S.A on the side of the box. But the older USG printing has the New York address and the newer USG printing has the Connecticut address. (That's the second time today I've typed that sentence. I wonder if a bunch of production changes accompanied USG's move from New York City to Stamford....)

Other than the backs (USG's is dark blue and Modiano's is red), the Modiano version I have is in Italian and the USG is in English. The cards are the same size. I was going to say the colors are the same, but then I noticed that the infinity symbol over the Magician's head is more yellow in the USG and more cream-colored in the Modiano. The Popess's dress is a lighter shade of green in the USG version and the headdress is a brighter yellow in the USG version. So there do appear to be color differences between the two versions.

They appear to be the same cardstock and have the same lamination though.

Anything specific you'd like to know or see?

Rodney

Abrac

rwcarter said:
Anything specific you'd like to know or see?
Thanks Rodney. After I posted I did start wondering about the backs but you answered that.

rwcarter said:
(That's the second time today I've typed that sentence. I wonder if a bunch of production changes accompanied USG's move from New York City to Stamford....)
I've noticed a few changes with some decks, that's one of the main reasons I asked. But if it's printed by Modiano that probably wouldn't be as much of an issue. It's mostly with AG Muller that I've noticed major differences in printings.

From the data I've been able to collect, this deck was first issued as an English version around 1975 as Cagliostro Tarot 184 with a booklet by Dr. Marius. Mine has red backs. It would seem that this is the one US Games eventually adopted in 1981 with a new box design, blue backs and booklet by Kaplan.

Umbrae

the 'key words' also vary between the USG blue backed and the Modiano red backed English versions.