Using one tarot deck only

Chiriku

Okay, thanks...now let's say the 20+ year exclusive use *was* with the RWS or Thoth. Does the person "read tarot" or "read that tarot deck?" :grin:

Myrrha

I am currently suffering from deck monogamy. I say suffering, because my task is to use the Shapeshifter for the next year exclusively. It's miserable. I haven't done a bloody reading since I made this "promise". But... I know if I don't stick to it, I will never sort out the damnable thing. Eventually I'll get off my keister and do something productive with it. Maybe this weekend I will do a few readings in the exchange to try and "break it in". :\
Have you tried some other activities with the deck that will help you get to know it even if a reading seems like a task?

One that works well is to play sorting games. Go through the deck and pick out all the cards that have flowers in the image, all the cards where people have antlers, all the cards where there are birds or people with wings. Divide the deck into four piles according to how much you like each image etc. etc. little kids love to sort things it is a way to make connections.

Just interacting with the deck will remind you of the things you like about it.

You could also pick one card a day and start a thread in the daily draws section.

Nothing wrong with deck monogamy... I love to try out new decks though and I'm discovering that fresh imagery helps a lot for me as I read the actual imagery as well as the concept or set "meaning" of the card and try to let the card say something personalized in response to a question.

Richard

I think this absurd thread illustrates the superficial view that Tarot is synonymous with Novelty. The underlying structure of Tarot doesn't change, it merely adapts to deeper understanding of its content. How strange, eh? Although I am not a Thelemite, I would recommend reading Crowley's Book of Thoth to get some insight into why it has persisted for hundreds of years as a map of the microcosm and macrocosm (which are essentially identical). If the previous sentence makes you upset or angry, then you are on an entirely different wavelength regarding Tarot, and it is your loss, not anyone else's. Snide comments about using the same deck for 20 years only reveals an abysmal ignorance of what Tarot is all about. Use it as a play toy if you wish, but don't judge those who find in it a deeper significance.

ETA. I am not angry, just a bit sad.

VGimlet

I read with only 1 deck for 29 years, my beloved Aquarian. It was the only deck I owned, and while I was aware of other decks, I was NOT aware how many decks there were. :)
I wish I had known, I would have been buying decks all along.

It was an adventure when I decided to get a new deck after all those years.

I found the transition to using the Universal RWS fairly simple, , and that deck stayed with me as a favorite while I learned to read the Thoth and Marseilles 'style' decks.

Personally I wouldn't want to go back to only reading with one deck, I like having a variety.

Chiriku

Snide comments about using the same deck for 20 years only reveals an abysmal ignorance of what Tarot is all about. Use it as a play toy if you wish, but don't judge those who find in it a deeper significance.

This is a surprising comment. I have observed no snideness in this thread. Perhaps that is because I am among the majority of posters in this thread who have not used the same deck for a long time, so I am not sensitized to any perceived prejudice.

By the way, point of correction: at least a few of us in this thread have read Crowley. And Book T, and AE Waite. And some of us, I among them, still prefer to rotate decks in our own tarot practice.

Chiriku

Sometimes those in the minority are sensitized to majority members talking about them and their practices. That can seem disrespectful.

This forum benefits from having a combination of people who prefer variety in their decks and people who prefer intimacy with one deck. I would be sorry if the latter were not a part of Aeclectic, and hope they feel welcome here, even if there is a lot of gushing about new decks and threads about types of storage and other collectors' concerns.

There are other places online for collectors to talk about collecting only without reference to the needs of monogamous deck users, but I hope this has not become one of them.

Richard

This is a surprising comment. I have observed no snideness in this thread. Perhaps that is because I am among the majority of posters in this thread who have not used the same deck for a long time, so I am not sensitized to any perceived prejudice.

By the way, point of correction: at least a few of us in this thread have read Crowley. And Book T, and AE Waite. And some of us, I among them, still prefer to rotate decks in our own tarot practice.

Nothing wrong with rotating decks. I just detect an attitude here and there that seems antithetical to the Tarot concept. I know that you are not among them, Chiriku.

Chiriku

Well, LRichard, hopefully this thread will attract more people who have used one deck exclusively for many years.

But it's my hypothesis, based on my observations both offline and on, that Internet forums tend to attract more multiple-deck people than they do those one-deckers. So we may have to continue discussing them without benefit of their input.

GryffinSong

I haven't interpreted anything in this thread as snide either.

Speaking for myself, I spent many years using only the Morgan Greer. And I've read a ton of books on theory of tarot, and on various people's theories, and on structure, and other books on archetypes and so on. Now I happen to not overtly use any of that stuff. Of course its a part of my landscape. Its all sitting there in my subconscious to be dredged up when needed, whether consciously or not. We're all at different places, have different needs, and different uses for tarot. I think one of the greatest things about it is that it CAN meet a variety of needs and uses. It is not a "one trick pony" only to be used exclusively, or only by switching it up, or only as fortune telling, or only as introspection ... it is a deep enough tool to have many, many faces. I feel that that's a good thing, is one of its great strengths, and a part of why it persists as the most common oracle deck out there.

Richard

On AT everyone is right, and no one is wrong, which is a good thing, as long as it doesn't become obsessive. :)