Usual Spreads

Talisman

The spread of a thousand faces

'Lo all,

wakeboarder, I was so pleased to read that you know the Talisman spread by heart! For some reason, it makes me happy that this Teacup spread is spared oblivion for another few minutes.

Like so many of you, I suspect, my Tarot journey began with the Celtic Cross. It was the only spread in the little booklet that came with my first deck. Later, when I acquired real books, the 'Cross seemed always to be a constant.

There is a reason why the 'Cross is perhaps the most enduring and widely used spread ever, so I'll toss no tomatoes at those of you who love it. Alas, I never ceased to wrestle with it.

I love new spreads, and often copy them in my shaggy Tarot journal. But I don't use them.

I know most of you use many, many Tarot decks, and probably use new spreads all the time. I'm just not that way. For me, establishing a personal relationship with a deck is a prerequisite to reading with it.

And, I like to travel light. With just my favorite deck in my pack, the Talisman spread, and the spread of a thousand faces, the three-card spread, I feel I've all I need to go anywhere in the world. These two spreads are seven-league boots for my mind. And a light pack rests easy on my back.

But as long as you keep posting new spreads, I'll be an eager reader.

Talisman
-------------------------
"Fools are aye fond o' flittin', and wise men o' sittin'." -- J. Ray

wakeboarder

Celtic Cross

I've tried this one a few times, but I just seem to get lost in all the cards. Maybe I wasn't very focused or was too tired or something, but I remember having a lot of trouble keeping it all together and then getting a full reading out of it. It just doesn't flow as well as the Talisman/Teacup spread. Am I missing something or is it just that I'm not experienced enough at it. I'm gonna try it again tonight though.

~Wakeboarder

Keslynn

Hey wakeboarder,
I wouldn't worry too much if you don't get along with the Celtic Cross. It by no means shows a lack of experience. In fact, there are plenty of experienced readers here on Aeclectic who just plain don't like the CC. But hey, there are millions of spreads out there, and that's not even counting if you decide to make some of your own. Use the spreads that make sense to you. There's no reason to work with a spread you don't like.

:) Kes

Talisman

Ah, that Celtic Cross!

'Lo all,

wakeboarder, I'd like to second what Keslynn said.

Obviously, many people love the Celtic Cross, which explains its enduring popularity.

But for another opinion, check out a thread (which I can't find) by Thirteen with a title something like, "A plea to beginners: Don't use the Celtic Cross." Something like that. Perhaps someone can post a link?

There's no reason to feel bad if you can't use the darn thing. Keslynn is so right.

(Sorry to be off topic, but what is wakeboarding?)

Talisman

Alissa

I've been reading for only about 6 years, and only in a studious way of late. Being new, at first I used the CC. It was what I was exposed to. In ignorance, I used it. Then, I started using my own made-up pyramid, because I never understood "covers me" and "crosses me" well enough to articulate.

Now, I almost never use the CC. I DO use Talisman's Teacup spread QUITE often myself, so fear not the dark abyss of oblivion Talisman.

In fact, I used that spread the other day for my interview/reading/meeting with the owner of a local metaphsycial bookstore. He hired me :D so yes, I'm FOND of that spread. To me, it definitely nices addresses a "no-question" reading, and also can be used for a specific question.

Molly's 13 card relationship spread I use often, and know by heart now.

But, I also love using new spreads right now and have been toting my Tarot journal around. I just tried a new spread, new for me, Looking for Love posted originally by VmprG. (?) I thought it addressed the situation for my friend/querent nicely. Then, at the conclusion (which is a Soul Mate card), it acted as a jumping off point, and we ended up laying over 22+ cards in the end as the spread, plus clarifiers, plus "jumpers" from when we shuffled.

:D It was awesome!

wakeboarder

Wakeboarding

Wakeboarding is an extreme sport where you are pulled behind a boat like skiing, but with a snowboard type board under you. It is like a combination between snowboarding and water-skiing. It is an awesome sport for people that live by a lake. I can clarify if that isn't clear enough. Peace.

~Wakeboarder

Trogon

Alissa said:
In fact, I used that spread the other day for my interview/reading/meeting with the owner of a local metaphsycial bookstore. He hired me :D so yes, I'm FOND of that spread.

Just a slight bit off topic... but...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

WTG on landing the job Alissa!

Talisman

I wanna know all about it

'Lo all,

Yes, Alissa! Congratulations.

Now I wanna know all about what you're doing at the bookstore. If you've told this story, I missed it and am so sorry. I try to read everything above the line.

If you haven't, please, please do. What is going on in the land of enchantment?

Oh. Spreads. Well, I called the three-card spread the spread of a thousand faces. All useful and valuable.

'Cept this one. The Larry, Moe and Curly. (The three stooges spread.) Don't ask. I just made it up to stay on topic.

Talisman

Alissa

oh gosh oh gee....

THANK you Trogon and Talisman for the grins your responses gave me.

I did post a little blurb about it at : http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9354

I have yet to read for anyone there, I'm not sure how often they will need me since they seem to have a few other readers they work with as well. But I do feel great about the opportunity, and THANKS AGAIN you guys for the "atta-boy" :D

And Talisman,
Ohhh the land of enchantment (at least, at 7300 feet where I am)is covered in white today! We had a good little snowstorm that dumped about a dozen inches all day yesterday and today my boy and I have been out playing and playing in it. wweeeeeeeee

LeahG

Favourite spreads?

I also like the aeonx relationship spread, celtic cross and a 5 card relationship spread.

Another spread I like is one shown to me by my teacher, it has a card for mind, body, spirit, home, work, money and love, good one to start with when reading for someone else, gives you an idea of what area they could look at for the second spread. Will look for it in next couple of days and post the layout :)

Love