Variant approaches to the Thoth: Angeles Arrien's book

Scion

Ligator said:
I mean: that the greatest mistake Arrien did was to "subjectively interprete an esoteric deck", or something, it is often said. What did Crowley do with the Golden Dawn tarot? And did Crowley even once mention Waite or anyone of those that HE did borrow ideas from? No! Not at all! His work was also "an esoteric deck that was explicitly, tortuously, lovingly, scrupulously crafted over war-torn years"... And how about errors and Crowley. Yes! Certainly!
No, Ligator.

Crowley created a deck. Arrien did not. Crowley took the Golden Dawn material and transformed it; he didn't merely regurgitate it. Picasso once said, "A good artist borrows; a great artist steals." Crowley STOLE the Golden Dawn material: he made it his own by reimagining it and built a deck that was his. Now, we could get into a semantic debate about creation and originality, etc, but the fact is that Crowley and Waite both "stole" the Golden Dawn material and reimagined it by looking at it through their own eyes in the same way that Shakespeare "stole" Pyramus and Thisbe from Ovid to create Romeo & Juliet. They created something personal and specific that changed the world.

Arrien didn't create anything. To discuss them in the same breath, you have to deal with the fact (as I mentioned above and elsewhere) that she not only didn't create anything, but she didn't even bother to understand the deck enough to reimagine it wholly as a "Jungian" or "cross-cultural" document or whatever she thought she was doing. Again, I feel like I keep saying this and saying this. I even say it in the post you're quoting! I WISH she'd had the chutzpah to actually reinvent Crowley's deck by approaching it as a collection of Universal symbols. She just trots out the same tired, overused Mythology 101 "insights" in an unstructured stream of consciousness. But actual invention? No. This is where I think her "archetypal" perspective is such a load of wank. Jung was NOT a lazy thinker. Jung's writings on alchemy, myth, mandalas, gnosticism, etc are not based on generalized soundbites. Jung went to the primary source, even when it baffled him... and completely reimagined them in the framework of his own approach.

I feel like I'm repeating myself for the hundredth time: Crowley's mistakes are part of the fabric of his deck. Just as much as his insights. He designed it and built those mistakes into it. Crowley's (and Harris') mistakes are like the horns on Michelangelo's Moses; they can be "ugly" or "puzzling", but they can't be "wrong" because they are part of the actual creation. Crowley included the limited periodic table on the Universe card because he wanted to incorporate as much hard science as he could. The fact that the hard science he used has been superceded doesn't make the deck worthless or plagiaristic: it is part of the deck. Arrien's mistakes are part of the fabric of... well... nothing but a cheesy book from the early 80s that enshrined a sloppy, self-involved interpretation of someone else's creation.

If Arrien had created a deck as mushy and incoherent as her book on the Thoth I would have raised my eyebrows in embarassment and moved on. If people manage to wring some kind of value out of The Tarot Handbook, then I'd argue it has more to do with their own patience and anxiety about Crowley than any actual content. Arrien did NOT do the "same thing as Crowley did," by a long shot. She created NOTHING. Her Handbook was derivative, sloppy, and self-involved. Crowley's's Thoth, both book and deck, were the summation of his entire singular life. There is literally NO equivalence between them whatsoever except that they both spoke English and both published books on Crowley's deck.

I'd agree that discussing her unwillingness to cite Crowley is central, except that there's nothing to discuss! She didn't and she chose not to purposefully. That's embarassing, but true. But Crowley didn't do anything with the Golden Dawn tarot... he reimagined it wholly, which is the action of all artists.

Recently, Dan Brown (author of the Da Vinci Code) got into a LOT of trouble with the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail for plagiarism... In point of fact, he did lift the entire meat of his book straight out of HBHG without a nod or a reference (with a little help from New Age twit Margaret Starbird, who was cited and did share in the backend wealth). Now the truth is HBHG was long ago proved a fraud. This is not news. The trouble for the HBHG authors when they got into court was that because they had presented the original HBHG material as FACT, that in a plagiarism case they had no argument. You can't plagiarize historical "fact." History cannot be copyrighted. Brown won the case and the HBHG authors missed out on the chance to share in the windfall for his epic dippy beachbook... because they couldn't have it both ways. They'd called it fact first and later it was proved fiction, but Brown didn't directly lift the expression of their amateurish bullshit so they had no copyright case.

Now, Crowley did not and could not have "taken" anything from the Golden Dawn because the Golden Dawn material was presumably "the hidden truth" of the Universe. It was an occult order not a franchise! The GD figured and presented their teachings as knowledge, not invention. In our modern world of copyright we point at the Cypher manuscript and megalomaniacal Mathers and shake our heads in condescension, but Crowley believed in the system he used as something eternal and immanent. You cannot "rob" the Anima Mundi. Gnosis cannot be copyrighted. Debating whether or not he was right is another topic, but the entire Golden Dawn exercise is based on the idea that the members would each connect to the teachings personally, would even create their own deck. After his hysterical split with Mathers and the implosion of the GD, Crowley (as usual) just took it a step farther and into the public light.

The feeble argument that Crowley somehow "robbed" the GD of the mysteries of the Universe is supported only by the assumption that the GD is a complete (copyrightable) fiction AND the mistaken belief that reimagining an idea is the same as presenting it unchanged as your own. Maybe if you're a robot, but not in the real world. :confused: Again, this is something I feel like I keep saying, but this dead horse is still being beaten to zero effect.

So, no. I will not allow that Arrien and Crowley are "doing the same thing," even for an instant.

Scion

Ligator

Well, you formulated itself very clearly:

"Crowley STOLE the Golden Dawn material: he made it his own by reimagining it and built a deck that was his. Now, we could get into a semantic debate about creation and originality, etc, but the fact is that Crowley and Waite both "stole" the Golden Dawn material and reimagined it by looking at it through their own eyes in the same way that Shakespeare "stole" Pyramus and Thisbe from Ovid to create Romeo & Juliet..."

and

"I feel like I'm repeating myself for the hundredth time: Crowley's mistakes are part of the fabric of his deck. Just as much as his insights. He designed it and built those mistakes into it. Crowley's (and Harris') mistakes are like the horns on Michelangelo's Moses; they can be "ugly" or "puzzling", but they can't be "wrong" because they are part of the actual creation."

I would like to ask this!

Does it function the same, or not, if a person "connects to a teachings personally" and reinterprets part of the teaching but do not create something new, only reintereprets existing dogma?

This is no simple question... Much of human religious history has dealt with this question. And so with much of our political history too. Martin Luther King got the critique often that he did not create a new organization, but only built upon and REINTERPRETED the work of NAACP. Did he do right or wrong?

* I would say that it makes no difference that Arrien do not create a new deck but only reinterprets an old one. The basic thing is still that neither Arrien nor Crowley acknowledges the fundament that they stand upon very much.

* And both do make mistakes... As in the case of the horns of Moses where many interpret the horns as being the devil horns, while it is simply a question of a mistaken translation of the Old testament from hebrew into latin tat was the reason behind the horns. Many theologists used the old, wrong, definition of the horns and made theological statements based upon the translation, even after the problematic translation was revealed. So with the artists. But is not their work, as art and as theology, still relevant despite the problematic translation. Off course they are, because it reflects their SUBJECTIVE idea and emotion, and the thing they wanted to ignite within us with the mistaken translation. So I do not focus much on the mistakes that Crowley did. I focus more on what he tries to communicate, using the sometimes mistaken facts, to me. The same with Arrien.

Do you get me? It deals with what you wrote in the end: "You cannot "rob" the Anima Mundi. Gnosis cannot be copyrighted." Truth exists only as a process, as the mystics would say. As our more and more perfected understanding of the worls. But this process is SUBJECTIVE! The subject that approaches the "objective", but can never reach it and hold it in his or her hands...

As I always have defended Crowley despite his problems, I defend Arrien too! Some things Arrien has written has helped me in my understanding of tarot, despite her crazy method of not quoting the creator of the deck. I respect her, despite her flaws, but she has no monopoly on what is the truth.

And Crowley? He certainly has problems, as I see it... But I defend him. But neither has he a monopoly on the truth!

/Torbjörn

Scion

I suppose I can respect that position, T... No monopolies on Gnosis: that is the nature of gnosis. Crowley states outright that he should not be taken literally and blindly. I just think Crowley shares a bigger piece of a startling truth while Arrien shares a niggardly piece of a clichéd truth. Again: she just isn't substantive enough to be worth the time it would take to wade through and strain the nuggets from the sentimental bilge.

As you say, this all verges on larger topics not germane to the topic of Arrien's embarassing book... but I raise them to (hopefullY) lay some of these haggard, useless arguments to rest. Crowley's mistakes are PART OF THE DECK which he created. Arrien's mistakes are only hers and have nothing to do with the deck. Debating Crowley's morality or mistakes has NOTHING to do with Arrien's book. Debating her morality and mistakes does. No one is claiming that the deck is actually Arrien's, although with her "God's Picturebook" BS, one could make the case that SHE is.

Ligator

At least I think we can agree on the importance and genius of Crowley and on the sad fact that Arrien totally disregards the interpretations of Crowley...

But, as I said, I do not really agree with what you write that "Arrien shares a niggardly piece of a clichéd truth"... But I think I can live with that!

:eek:)

chriske

What would Lon say?

In fairness to A Arrien, and any other author who wishes to write on the Thoth, I find it interesting to reflect on what DuQuette says about the BoT. To paraphrase, Lon says his perception of the BoT has changed many times over the 30+ years since he first read it. I think that is key to the BoT. In A Arrien's case, I believe her Tarot Handbook was written in the 70s. If DuQuette can change his perception of BoT over the years, surely the same could be true of A Arrien?

I remember having great trouble in the early 70s finding ANY books on Tarot. I probably would have bought the Tarot Handbook if I had found it in the 70s. But in 2008 I have no inclination to even buy a second hand copy. Thanks for a great thread.

ravenest

Bernice said:
As you said Teheuti, publishers often DO make mistakes. Very irksome!
I took Ross's link to Wicki and,
So Crowley or the publisher, left a word out (Phurba), most probably.

This 'symbolism' debate 'twix Jung/Campbell and Crowley; It seems to me that both camps have taken symbols and created 'signs' (harking back to Definitions here). Actually in practice, nearly everyone who reads or hears about the expounded meaning of a symbolic-image, ends up tagging it with that interpretation. I think what we need to do is either read up on all of them, or stick to our own (individual) immediate perceptions - or maybe both!

Re. Thoth: Crowleys symbol-interpretations belong to his deck.
Re. Arrien: Her symbolic approach might have had a better reception if she hadn't focussed on the work of someone who already had a comprehensive symbol-system of their own, which is embedded in the images that she chose to foolishly try and 'decipher'.

All done - off for coffee.

Bee

Excellent and accurate comment B!

Ligator

I have been thinking about one thing...

It is not that uncommon that authors that write ABOUT tarot (with one deck in thought) or that creates new decks are suffering of the same amnesia (or what it is) that Crowley shows up in his Thoth-tarot and that Arrien shows. That is: they do not always acknowledge the very foundation that they stand upon, and where they borrow their ideas from.

To be honest. This is no Arrien problem. No Crowley problem either.

Myrrha

Teheuti said:
So, if the Thoth deck consists of meaningless, arbitrary designs without the text, then if the text were destroyed the deck would be worthless except as pretty pictures. To be used "correctly" it sounds like one has to agree to a fundamentalist approach with the text as bible and Crowley as the only way to conversation with one's HGA through the cards. I don't agree, though it is interesting to know that this is one option.

No, the Thoth deck is not meaningless designs without Crowley's book because he wasn't pulling those meanings out of thin air. Even without reference to Crowley’s writings the symbolic images will still have specific meanings. The image of the “pelican in her piety” that appears on the Empress card has been used in many works of art. It has a specific meaning which is known to people who have studied art history or Christian symbolism. The symbolic image of the orphic egg has a meaning in art history and religious studies independent of Crowley’s book. Recently I saw a museum exhibit of artwork and household items created for Napoleon and at least two symbolic images (bees and thunderbolts) were used with very similar meanings to the ones that Crowley gives to them. Crowley did not make this stuff up. It isn’t a controversy about, as your friend Ms. Colbert says, “whether only a deck creator can know the true meaning of the symbolism in his/her deck”, it is about whether or not we are going to pretend that these symbols don’t have a meaning and a long history. An approach that discounts the meaning and history of the images and treats them as Rorschach ink blots will seem barbaric to many people. This may be why Angeles Arrien's book has provoked such a strong reaction here.

--Myrrha