Vertigo Study: The High Priestess

etal

The disembodied face of the Vertigo High Priestess emerges on Card II from a background of torn and crumpled paper, floating like a holographic image on a confusing pile of litter—including some envelopes and letters, perhaps: I think I see circular postmarks and rectangular stamps here and there—all in the rich brown, cream, umber, and sienna tones indicative of great age.

Her forehead seems cleft in two, with a wide, deep abyss in the middle, the right and left halves of the skull gripped with dozens of thin threads or spider-spun filaments that raggedly bridge the gap, as if she were a half-prepared mummy. Is this the portal to her psychic world?

She is a true Crone, encrusted with age and pain: Her red and rheumy eye looks blankly out at the world, or perhaps it has seen so much that now—glazed over with thought and memory—it only looks within; the mouth is pursed tight, set against talking to the impertinent, the intrusive.

She seems determined to say nothing. But then, she may not need to speak to pass on what she knows to those who really want to learn.

The depths from which the High Priestess has emerged are not necessarily of the sort that you would wish to explore; but they are there for you to take a look at, in all that blackness scarred by light beneath her face, where the paper curtain is torn back—a whole city, it seems to me, perhaps a whole world.

But approach it at your peril; the High Priestess’s face tells me that her wisdom and experience come at a price.

Portent: The curtain between you and the inner wisdom you seek is paper thin, but be careful before you raise your fingernail to rip it open and reveal the secrets of your naked humanity.

MeeWah

The first time I viewed Her, I was taken aback at her pinched & forbidding countenance. Whilst The HP is usually rendered as a female authority in her prime, even in the prime of beauty (as are the HPs of the RWS, Ancient Egyptian & Robin Wood), this HP seems made of far more stern & tasking qualities. Almost the stuff of things that go bump in the night.

In thinking it over, however, her wizened countenance is appropos. A high priestess would be a crone, one whose maiden & mother aspects are of a past so ancient the years immeasurable. As befits a crone, experiences & their resulting wisdom--The Wisdom of the Ages--have left their indelible marks. Accordingly, that Wisdom held within that apparently worn head guarded, perhaps even jealously. Access is by appreciating first that what she holds not for the faint of heart & understanding, but those willing to sacrifice a part of self.

The thin threads that cross the gaping forehead fascinate & tantalize with their glimpses of what may lie beyond or held within. Like that of a ravelled spiderweb whose spinner has lost its pattern, suggestive the skein of Time a delicate instrument that holds all accountable--even the High Priestess.

etal

Vertigo at Delphi

MeeWah, your evocative post put me in mind of a tradition associated with the Pythia, the High Priestess who served Apollo at Delphi and received his oracles while in an hallucinogenic trance. Legend has it that the post was originally filled by a succession of beautiful maidens, but one day a young man arrived at the temple to consult the god; he was handsome, of course, and the story ended in a quite foreseeable scandal, with the pair running away hand in hand to enjoy their future elsewhere.

From then on, the temple priests made it a rule to choose as Pythia only women above the age of fifty!

Reports that have been handed down to us also indicate that when the Pythia went into her trance and responded to the questions put to her, she answered in an incomprehensible babble—her "words" would be taken up by the priests who attended her and "interpreted" or "translated" into standard Greek poetry that the petitioner could understand, although even then the god's replies could often be highly ambiguous.

I mention the babbling because according to Rachel Pollack, the Vertigo High Priestess is Mad Hettie, from "Death, the High Cost of Living." Though possessing all the knowledge of a priestess, Hettie is a bag lady who "babbles, like any crazy woman on a street corner. And yet, in a world that does not recognize mystery, her muttering will guard the secrets as well as any ancient temple."

So we have a direct link from Hettie to the woman who is perhaps the ultimate High Priestess, and that link is incomprehensibility.

And as Pollack eloquently attests, it doesn't matter if Hettie's mouth is wide open in a howl of apparent non-sense or shut tight in angry refusal as we see her here. She'll be keeping her secrets either way.

Perhaps, just like the Pythia, she needs interpreters if she is to be heard?

etal

MeeWah

....in a world that does not recognize mystery, her muttering will guard the secrets as well as any ancient temple."
...Perhaps, just like the Pythia, she needs interpreters if she is to be heard?
The analogy/comparison of Mad Hettie to the Delphic Oracle provocative but fitting. I am not sure, however, that the link is incomprehension per se though it may appear so to the untutored.

Reading seems a function directly related to the High Priestess & her mystery, which is of a hidden wisdom or wisdom accessed through a secret language. As readers moreorless speak for the cards or provide their voice--in the process interpret their "signs"--readers are as the Pythias of ancient times.

Interesting that the position was occupied by the crones. Based on the wealth of knowledge generally supposed to accumulate within a lifespan of half a century or more, seems a totally appropriate measure. That is, despite the circumstances that prompted such an adjustment.

I thought maidens (virgins) were preferred as oracles based on their relative purity; the lack of corruption from exterior influences & associations. In this sense, the use of one far older would seem to defeat the purpose.

The practice by some ancient societies of live human sacrifices of tbe most comely or most talented young men &/or women as a means to appeal to or to appease the gods seems to also echo a theme of purity. That of offering "the best" to signify the intent & to solidify the desired outcome. Some cultures also known to sacrifice those considered their enemies or those captured in battle.

etal

The Reader—Priestess or Priest?

Dear MeeWah,

You've gone and provoked me into thinking about the HP and a few other cards and how they relate to the people who read them (and vice versa), with special attention given to the question of IDENTIFICATION ("Which card are you?") and to the degree of distance/closeness that gets played out between readers and their cards.

I know from reading other posts in other forums about the High Priestess, the Queen of Cups, and other "Reader" cards that I'm possibly wading into troubled waters—I just hope the water isn't so turbid that I step on anybody's feet! If I do, forgive me...I didn't see you.

MeeWah said:

Reading seems a function directly related to the High Priestess & her mystery, which is of a hidden wisdom or wisdom accessed through a secret language. As readers moreorless speak for the cards or provide their voice--in the process interpret their "signs"--readers are as the Pythias of ancient times.

Well, not to belabor a point—oh, what the heck, let's throw caution to the winds and belabor this particular point to death and beyond—in our analogy, the Vertigo High Priestess, or any Tarot High Priestess for that matter, would herself be the High Priestess of Apollo, the Pythia, and whether incarnated as Mad Hettie, babbling away in a secret language, or imagined as most other HP's are (and as Hettie herself is on this card), with lips mutely sealed, she communicates nothing to those who don't know how to "read" her. So if the analogy is strictly followed, you and I and all the others here at AT, the readers, are the Priest interpreters, the translators, the go-betweens who mediate between the god's "mouth" and the petitioner.

I know you'd all rather be the Priestess—the role is far more glamorous :) —one is the "chosen of the god," the vessel of his prophesies. But it's a dangerous role, too, to be touched by the god, often catastrophic. If looking at what it's done to Mad Hettie isn't enough, remember the poor, incomprehensible, and never-believed Cassandra, especially as she appears early on in Aeschylus's great trilogy, howling about blood and guts and corpses and, just moments away, her own murder beneath the axe.

Much better—though admittedly more prosaic—to be a simple priest, someone who has studied long and hard to find out how to "read the signs of the times," the tea leaves, or, in this case, the major arcana.

So while we may identify with a given card and feel very close to it, we must also admit that on some level it is "touched by the divine," in a way that we are not; it and all the other cards in the deck are removed from the everyday, the expected, the rational, and in themselves they are mute, incomprehensible.

The work/play that we engage in as readers is to pry their secrets from them. They communicate nothing without us, after all, pedestrian us, their priest interpreters, who possess the gifts and skills necessary to interpret "the sound of their silence" or to "translate their babble."

etal

PS There's an interesting parallel between the babble of Mad Hettie/the Pythia and the "gift of tongues" that Saint Paul describes in I Corinthians 12-14, which includes the famous hymn "If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels and have no Love, then I am only a booming gong or a clanging cymbal." Paul insists at some length that no more than two or three ecstatics be allowed to "babble" at any given service, and only if there are "interpreters" present, so that the whole congregation can benefit from their insights. If it wishes to communicate with humanity, the "divine"—or whatever you like to call it—must always have its "translators."

etal

Reversing Mad Hettie

When the Vertigo card is turned upside down, the line dividing the upper and lower halves becomes much more obvious for some reason, cutting the head distinctly in two, creating a "split personality"—a being whose unconscious elements (the skull's black abyss) are utterly separated from the mouth that would be giving them utterance.

With the jaw hovering over the skull, the situation is now "topsy-turvy"—the mouth of the High Priestess is governing her unconscious rather than vice versa.

Everything surrounding the head of the High Priestess is more confused, ripped, and scattered, while the wedge of deep black that opened on a whole world beneath her chin now weighs down on her head, oppressing it.

To me, the reversed card screams "madness." Mad Hettie is no longer oracular, but completely insane, "divorced" from her true self, fatally split. I would be inclined to distrust any message from this source.

etal

P.S. Can anyone make out the WAITetc. on the upside-down paper bag? (The name of a supermarket? A. E. Waite?!!!)

MeeWah

Whilst the upright Vertigo High Priestess may indicate opposing energies poised in balance & also reflected by the qualities of the number 2, in reversal that quality of balance is stunningly non-evident.

The upper portion of the head pertains to & is of the higher chakras of pineal/third eye, & pituitary/master gland. The head is connected to the neck, the throat chakra & pertains to communciation & then to the rest of the body & its remaining chakras.

Suggestive of separation from the mental body or the connection/communication with the head, instead of a neck with a body beneath *in the usual order*, a dark abyss looms & precedes. Indeed, the darkness precedes the mouth, itself representative of the manifest consciousness whilst everything previously contained within the head spills out to oblivion, no longer supported. A balance whose fragility rendered asunder as if torn apart by invisible inner forces no longer disciplined nor controllable.

During the course of general Tarotwork & not specifically related to the Vertigo High Priestess, the occasions of the distorted High Priestess. This need not actually present as reversed yet still conveys accordingly.

At the very least, of the scattered energies or consciousness; a failure to grasp & contain the essentials.

At its worse, a severance from contact with the intrinsic self &/or other integral contact; of a dual/split personality such as may be reflective of a personality disorder or the inevitable madness.

MeeWah

Regarding the paperbag bearing "WAITE": most intriguing!

Perhaps as a reference to foundation & tradition. A basic construct given credit from which is birthed another construct or body such as The Vertigo.

Chronata

apologies for arriving late to the discussion...been so busy lately, it has been difficult to find enough quiet time to reflect on anything!

The High Priestess is wonderful in the visionary way that Dave chose to depict her...like she is insubstantial one moment...and yet very solid the next with that trunk like neck of hers keeping her grounded.
She does appear to me, however to be sort of hovering between worlds, with a ghostly pall, to scare the unwary or unenlightened.

I keep seeing moths in her head...don't know if they are truly there or not, but there is a fluttering form of movement everytime I look at her.

She is staring with one eye firmly fixed on her surroundings...judging, almost tasting the world with her sight.
The other eye is bound, hidden, closed, and perhaps warded off...as if it might be dangerous for the world to see what is behind that eye.
although she appears pruny and ancient here...I can so believe that she can appear anyway that she likes.
But the crone gives her both an air of ancient knowledge and wisdom...and at the same time, a look of doddering, old, foolish and forgetful...a way to blend in to the mundane world, and not appear as dangerous to the average person as she probably is.

I like the windshield wipers for pillars...it evokes the idea that secrets and insights and True Wisdom...may go as easily as it may come...wiped away in a moment.
The correspondance symbols in the background suggest worldlieness, and the communication with others...other people, other realms, or what have you.

This was the first time I had seen an ancient woman as the High Priestess..and I like that idea a lot. It's one of the reasons I also adore the Buckland Romani deck.

Mad Hettie is a strange old bird...The homeless old baglady who is obviously older that time itself...and knows a great deal about a great deal of things. The archetype of true sight and wisdom granted to the outsider is an old one...but it works well here.
This is one of the choices from the comics that I absolutely agreed with...no question.

Incidently...I was once mistaken for dressing as Mad Hettie at a comicon. Funny...I was only 22 at the time...not trying to look old, or ragged or anything.
It must have been the flowered hat. :D

I have more that I would like to add...but my deamon posessed computer is randomly opening files on me right now...so I hope to get back to this later!

etal

Cleaning Dirty Windshields

Welcome back, Chronata!

Please feel free to take long meditative pauses in your involvement as long as you promise to always bring us such RICH offerings upon your return.
Chronata said:

I like the windshield wipers for pillars...it evokes the idea that secrets and insights and True Wisdom...may go as easily as it may come...wiped away in a moment.

Your idea strikes truly home; for a somewhat more banal take, when Rachel Pollack brought up the windshield wipers, I was immediately hit by the image of the homeless (usually men in this case) who sometimes congregate around the intersections of our big city streets and approach cars that are stopped in traffic jams or at stop lights. With dirty rags in hand, they'll rush up to a car and begin to wipe the windshields, simultaneously asking, "Wantcha windas clean?" And woe betide the driver who declines their "service"!

I don't know if Mad Hettie has ever done the same during her time on the streets, but now I'm wondering how I should respond if I see her in future? Do I want my windows clean—especially if I notice that she's doing the job with a dirty rag? Will I be able to "see" better and will my "driving" improve after I've tipped her? :)

etal