Warped decks

Bhavana

Video of a still-shrinkwrapped Necronomicon Tarot I received which was warped in all the wrong ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSZqOR44mQ

Good Lord. While this is exactly what I am talking about, I have never received one this bad!!

Cerulean (your name always makes me think of that well loved and oft used tube of Winsor Newton on my art table) I am so glad, and amazed, that your cards seem to be ok...

tarotbear

Video of a still-shrinkwrapped Necronomicon Tarot I received which was warped in all the wrong ways.

I wonder if the process of shrink-wrapping had something to do with it - they use heat, after all!

I have a beautiful deck given to me by one of the moderators and the artist self-laminated them. All I can figure is since the lamination process put the plastic wrap between two rollers that it heat-shrank the plastic into a curve. Nothing will ever flatten a deck whose lamination is the cause of the warping. :(

Cerulean

The plastic shoe boxes and plastic storage bins work for me out of direct sunlight

Thanks for asking, but allowing for air flow and out of direct sunlight storage seem to keep things dry or help dry so far in terms of the damp cards.

The loose shoebox lids over the plastic shoe container allow for air flow, Porch works better for some improved warmth for drying decks at the moment. I plan to move the plastic shoebox later.

The storage plastic boxes when shut tight anf out of sunlight work for me so far as long term dry goods and fabric, but other climate may differ.

A plastic bag sweats with the heat, so I could see you do not want quilts in garbage bags. Covering one side of a dry card with clear acetate to keep the front flat is one idea. So I may just wait. Thanks for the ideas.

(QUOTE=tarotbear;2863879]Yes, but if the decks are damp - won't putting them in a plastc box merely lock the moisture in? In the quilt world they always tell us to fold our quilts and wrap them in a bedsheet or put them in a pillow case to keep them clean - never store fabrics in a plastic garbage bag.

Maybe store your decks with those little dessicant packages that come in pill bottles and other items? Once upon a time you could buy that stuff in a store ....[/QUOTE]

tarotlyn

I wonder if the process of shrink-wrapping had something to do with it - they use heat, after all!

I have a beautiful deck given to me by one of the moderators and the artist self-laminated them. All I can figure is since the lamination process put the plastic wrap between two rollers that it heat-shrank the plastic into a curve. Nothing will ever flatten a deck whose lamination is the cause of the warping. :(

You could try to run each card through a hot laminator (setting on 5 mil)...but run the card
in the opposite way of the bow. So if the face side bows upwards, towards the face, put it
in the laminator with the face side and bowed ends 'facing downward.'

In other words, the 'bowed ends' should always be facing 'downward' as you put the card into the laminator.

and the laminator will heat it and it should come out flat...

While the card is still hot/warm, place a heavy book on top of it and leave it till it cools
down totally (about 15 minutes).

It helps to find a smooth hard surface that is cool to place the card on, like a piece of tile.
My round oak dining table has large titles inset into the top and I place my cards on the
tiles for cooling and pressing, after hot lamination treatment for bowed cards.

Note: I have used all types of self-laminated cards with this method (even 1.3 mil lamination)
and it does not hurt or melt the cards to be on the 5 mil heat setting.

I think by 're-heating' a card, it actually heats and stretches the fibers and the lamination
and you are 're-shaping' it and then by putting on the heavy weight of a book, etc. it
will then retain the new shape as it cools. At least, this has been my experience with doing this.

I use the cheapie 'purple cow' combination hot/cold laminator and set it to the 5 mil heat setting.
You can buy it though amazon.com. It works like a charm...you can even do 3 cards at the same time! :laugh:

Note: You can experiment with the 'extra' instruction cards that sometimes come with a deck.

Other ideas:
1. I think it was gregory that suggested using a clothes iron (...in another thread for re-heating
the lamination to make it stick better on the card).
Well, maybe a clothes iron would work for bowed cards as well...IF you are VERY careful :bugeyed: LOL

2. Make yourself a LARGE flower press using 'peg board' so you can easily adjust where you
want the four end screws/bolts with wing nuts ...I saw these on Etsy but they might be too small.
for ideas, you can see them here: http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=flower+press&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

:heart:tarotlyn

Bhavana

You could try to run each card through a hot laminator (setting on 5 mil)...but run the card
in the opposite way of the bow. So if the face side bows upwards, towards the face, put it
in the laminator with the face side and bowed ends 'facing downward.'

In other words, the 'bowed ends' should always be facing 'downward' as you put the card into the laminator.

and the laminator will heat it and it should come out flat...

While the card is still hot/warm, place a heavy book on top of it and leave it till it cools
down totally (about 15 minutes).

It helps to find a smooth hard surface that is cool to place the card on, like a piece of tile.
My round oak dining table has large titles inset into the top and I place my cards on the
tiles for cooling and pressing, after hot lamination treatment for bowed cards.

Note: I have used all types of self-laminated cards with this method (even 1.3 mil lamination)
and it does not hurt or melt the cards to be on the 5 mil heat setting.

I think by 're-heating' a card, it actually heats and stretches the fibers and the lamination
and you are 're-shaping' it and then by putting on the heavy weight of a book, etc. it
will then retain the new shape as it cools. At least, this has been my experience with doing this.

I use the cheapie 'purple cow' combination hot/cold laminator and set it to the 5 mil heat setting.
You can buy it though amazon.com. It works like a charm...you can even do 3 cards at the same time! :laugh:

Note: You can experiment with the 'extra' instruction cards that sometimes come with a deck.

Other ideas:
1. I think it was gregory that suggested using a clothes iron (...in another thread for re-heating
the lamination to make it stick better on the card).
Well, maybe a clothes iron would work for bowed cards as well...IF you are VERY careful :bugeyed: LOL

2. Make yourself a LARGE flower press using 'peg board' so you can easily adjust where you
want the four end screws/bolts with wing nuts ...I saw these on Etsy but they might be too small.
for ideas, you can see them here: http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=flower+press&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

:heart:tarotlyn

I don't have a laminator (yet) but I like the idea of using an iron. Perhaps put the card between several sheets of paper or paper towels to protect it, then while it is still warm do the flattening thing.

Bhavana

Wanted to report the results of a little experiment i tried after reading online about how to fix a warped deck of playing cards...

I have not tried this with a deck warped as bad as the Necronomion Tarot shown in an above post - a deck warped that badly I would return to the store or wherever it was purchased from. The decks I did this with were slightly but obviously warped, to the point where the deck as a whole does not sit flat, and individual cards do not lie flat. Some people are not bothered by this, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Put the deck in it's box. If it doesn't have a box, find a box from another deck where the cards can fit in snugly. Put the box in a zip lock bag, then into another plastic bag, sealing it well. Place in the refrigerator for about a half hour. Now here is where it can get tricky - when you remove the deck, the warm air hitting the cold cards may cause some condensation...so I would not recommend this technique on cards that are not laminated. Also, the longer the deck is in the refrigerator, the more likely this is to happen to a greater extent. All three decks I did this with were heavily laminated, so it was not big problem - but so as not to take any chances, what I did was quicky laid the cards out one by one, on my bed, and the condensation dried up almost immediately. Move fast though, you want the cards to still be a little chilled when you move on to the next step...

Either as a single deck or as two piles of around 40, place the deck on a hard flat surface under very very very heavy books. After about 24 hours, flip the deck over. Replace the books. Leave another day or so.

This made a huge difference in the decks I tried it with, and the cards (after a few days) have not reverted back to their warped state...which often happens when just using the book method. With the one deck that was more warped than the other two, I did this twice. The more time under the books the better (obviously!)

Please keep the condensation issue in mind, and do this at your own risk. If it is a deck that is very expensive or cannot be replaced, it may not be worth that risk. I have only done it a few times and don't want to be responsible for you ruining a prized deck!

Stark Raven

thanks for this....! I have been using the book method, with some success, perhaps I need something heavier.

I appreciate that my post helped. I have another hint for those with cards that are all bent in one direction. I have one deck that was obviously laminated with a bend already in it. Periodically I do the same as I said in previous post this thread; but with a difference. First I take the cards and make a snug paper sleeve that holds them all together firmly, but still with a tiny bit of room so that they can be taken out and put back in without tearing it.

I put the cards one facing up, next facing down, do this through the whole deck. Back, front, back, front ,back, front, all the way through sort of thing. Then firmly compress them with your forefinger and thumb while carefully putting them back in the sleeve you made. Now put them under your flat books and heavy object. Note - on cards all bent severely one way it seems to take longer to straighten them out.

If your cards are used for a while after straightening you may have to repeat this. It does make loads of difference though!

RexMalaki

I made this tarot deck torture devise with two pieces of an old clipboard and two c-clamps:

Attachments

• card-press.jpg
    card-press.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 69

Bhavana

I appreciate that my post helped. I have another hint for those with cards that are all bent in one direction. I have one deck that was obviously laminated with a bend already in it. Periodically I do the same as I said in previous post this thread; but with a difference. First I take the cards and make a snug paper sleeve that holds them all together firmly, but still with a tiny bit of room so that they can be taken out and put back in without tearing it.

I put the cards one facing up, next facing down, do this through the whole deck. Back, front, back, front ,back, front, all the way through sort of thing. Then firmly compress them with your forefinger and thumb while carefully putting them back in the sleeve you made. Now put them under your flat books and heavy object. Note - on cards all bent severely one way it seems to take longer to straighten them out.

If your cards are used for a while after straightening you may have to repeat this. It does make loads of difference though!

Since reading your first suggestions, I found an online warping treatment that involves first putting the deck in it's box, then sealing it in a plastic bag, then putting it in the freezer for 15 minutes - THEN putting it under the stack of books. (after taking it out of the bag and box first) This seems to work pretty good too. Must be something about first changing the temperature. I am going to try it again as a combo of techniques, first do the different facing cards, then in the box, then in the fridge, then under the books....

I made this tarot deck torture devise with two pieces of an old clipboard and two c-clamps:

This is brilliant. I think I even have some of these clamps lying around somewhere, leftovers of boyfriends past.

Stark Raven

Yes I intend to try the temperature change one on a deck of uncoated cards I have that doesn't respond to anything. Darned Haindl deck...