Well, it's official. I have too many decks.

PathWalker

... I decided that I would know I had too many decks when I couldn't identify them all by the bandanna each was wrapped in.

Last night it happened. I was looking over my collection and I actually had to unwrap a couple of bandannas to see what was inside.

Okay - here's what to do...

EITHER - take them out of the badanas - if you still have them in their boxes

OR - write labels and tie them on the corners so you can read them when they're wrapped

Sorted! :)

dawntarot

As others have said, it's up to you how many decks you have! You might not read with all of them now, but who knows? Perhaps you will later. Tastes change! :)

Personally, I don't collect decks. I have the tiny Sharman-Caselli that came in The Tarot Box (bought furtively over the counter at Waterstones :p), the RWS I later upgraded to (I preferred the art and had silly notions of needing a "proper" deck), a dragon deck that never gets used... Then a friend bought me Pagan Cats and now it is the love of my life. :D I will keep the RWS as it still has its uses but the other two I will move along when I get round to it.

The only other deck I want eventually is a TdM as I want to learn more about the history of tarot.

I too however would jump at the chance to look through people's collections. It's fascinating...

Dawn

SunChariot

I know I don't have the biggest collection here on AT, there a couple of people here who would probably be killed if their collections fell on them but...

when I realized that I was in fact accumulating a collection, I started to worry that I was acquiring too many decks. Then I decided that I would know I had too many decks when I couldn't identify them all by the bandanna each was wrapped in.

Last night it happened. I was looking over my collection and I actually had to unwrap a couple of bandannas to see what was inside.

And I still want more...
For what it is worth, I have about 114 decks now and I do not consider my collection too large. I use them and love them all. There is not one I would readily part with. And in fact I just got my last one this week which I already love. The Angel Tarot Cards by Doreen Virtue.

Yes, having many that you intend to use requires some organizational skills to find the right one. But to me that is way worth it.

Babs

desertrat

When I start to feel guilty about the size of my tarot collection (and I'm not saying you feel guilty, Mango :) ) I remember that MANY people love to collect books - and nobody thinks THAT'S odd. IMO, tarot cards are better than books because each time you use them you get a different story, whereas a book is always the same story (although one might respond to it differently with each reading). I enjoy reading books very much, but not so much re-reading them. I ALWAYS enjoy playing with my cards. :D

Stormdancer

When I start to feel guilty about the size of my tarot collection (and I'm not saying you feel guilty, Mango :) ) I remember that MANY people love to collect books - and nobody thinks THAT'S odd. IMO, tarot cards are better than books because each time you use them you get a different story, whereas a book is always the same story (although one might respond to it differently with each reading). I enjoy reading books very much, but not so much re-reading them. I ALWAYS enjoy playing with my cards. :D
You put it just perfectly.

Yes, having many that you intend to use requires some organizational skills to find the right one. But to me that is way worth it.
We're supposed to be "organized"?? I'm screwed. :(

PathWalker

We're supposed to be "organized"?? I'm screwed. :(

No, if you like the hunting, and unwrapping, and wandering about between crates, that's fine.
But if you're as analytical and obsessive as me, you need to be able to put your hand on it first time. For decks withouth boxes, bags with labels tied on them are your friend :)

Carla

I was curious so just went and counted. I have 48 at the moment, two on the way in the post. If I had kept every deck I'd ever bought since I started a few years ago, I think I'd have in the 60s or 70s, but I trade or sell or sometimes give away when I get to feeling I've got too many. I have two boxes I keep decks and companion books in. When they start getting too full, I have to start culling the collection.

I think you should keep as many decks as you want to. There's no such thing as too many decks.

greatdane

Agreed Carla

One doesn't have too many til they feel they have too many. LOL I loved your term culling. I pictured you culling the "herd".

flying black kat

I do not read for anyone any more. I have a lot of decks that I have just because I like to look at them and compare one to another. I have spent many hours doing this, and enjoy every minute.

I also do not purchase any decks unless I like them.

Kathy

Le Fanu

I really should count mine. My profile list is up to date if anyone wants to save me the trouble :D I wonder though whether I should include duplicates, or different editions. I know I have lots but I would say that only about 40 or so get read with regularly as favourites. That's fine by me. They all have their different place in my collection and in my :heart:

Oh but it's so wonderful having the luxury of switching decks and having so many to choose from.