What are they thinking?

Bean Feasa

And here are the ones that prompt me to say...

... what were they thinking of? Apologies to my trading partners - these are mostly decks I offloaded ;)

Ancestral Path - I know the paintings themselves are beautiful, but I found it very opaque to read and kind of disjointed, and, well, cold.

The Witches Tarot - some atmospheric cards but uneven art, and just not readable for me.

Sacred Circle - again some very beautiful cards, but the borders closed everything in and I couldn't get past the photographs - somehow I just don't want real people looking out at me from tarot cards.

Waking the Wild Spirit - busy borders and terribly authoritarian tone in the book spoiled this deck for me.

Hadar - I still have this, but may trade. I find the colour scheme oppressive. Whatever grapplings I've had with the Marseille decks, and none of them have been too successful, but I've fared better with the LS Ancien TdM - the Hadar just won't talk to me at all.

mythos

Hanson Roberts
Crowley's Thoth
Nigel Jackson
Robin Wood
Anything with fairies or of similar ilk ... yeech!
Anything with 'ilks' huh humour!
Oh gosh, I could go on and on, and no doubt offend just about everyone here but I won't... taste is so personal.:thumbsup:

mythos

Lillie

Every deck I have, I like.
Some for one reason, some for another.

Usually, before buying a deck, I look at pics, here or TG, or somewhere.
If I don't like them I don't buy them, so I havn't really be disapointed yet.

There are a lot I see that I don't like, and I wouldn't buy.

One thing that I don't like is where a deck is just an exact, or almost exact, redrawing of the RWS.
I can't see the point.
It's like it's cheating.
Pamela Colman Smith drew them, why do people nick them?
And nick them exactly!
It's lazy. They should draw their own pictures.

I'm not keen on collage decks, on the whole. I like art.

But mostly, if I don't like a deck I don't buy it.
And then I forget about them, which is why I can't think of any right now!

And I like the Thoth. as a counter balance to the people who say they hate it...
I don't.
I love it.

gollog

for me:

tarot of the bohemian cats and then there is the Fey...

There are other decks I dislike but these two seem to be very popular. Beats me!

HearthCricket

Hate to say it, but Prague, Fey and Robin Wood does not do it for me, at all. I am really not sure what the fuss over Fey is, but what doesn't work for one, always will work for another. Thank the stars for such a variety in artwork for tarot decks! RW also bores me to death, as does anything Thoth.

Gilded speaks to me, more than TofD ever did, oddly enough. Sacred Rose, which a lot of people can't stand is one of my favourites, and I stayed away from the Hanson Roberts for ages, thinking it too cutsy, only to have it become another one of my favourites.

Go figure! :D

Rhiamon

HearthCricket said:
Gilded speaks to me, more than TofD ever did, oddly enough. Sacred Rose, which a lot of people can't stand is one of my favourites, and I stayed away from the Hanson Roberts for ages, thinking it too cutsy, only to have it become another one of my favourites.

Go figure! :D

Ha! Same here, afraid to go against the grain but I love the Gilded, I think it is the most beautiful deck ever made, and the Hanson-Roberts was the first deck that really clicked for me. *shrug* it's so nice that we as a people have such different likes and dislikes, makes the world interesting :)

Abrac

I find myself asking "what's all the fuss about" with about 99% of the decks out there. Nothing personal, it's more of an indictment of the industry. There are a lot of good decks out there, it's just that you have to be careful, especially if you're purchasing online. Aggressive marketing strategies are designed to generate impulse buying, and can make you think you're getting something you really aren't.

fools fool

FaerieSage

*looks around for an escape route* Ok, so this is likely heresy, but I just don't understand what's with the RWS. I know it's like "the staple" for beginners and "the standard" and so forth, but I just can't get over the art style.

O_O

Victoria Regina

Nightmarish *shudders*

I get the same feeling from the Haindl deck.

~Sorry~

Rhiamon

FaerieSage said:
*looks around for an escape route* Ok, so this is likely heresy, but I just don't understand what's with the RWS. I know it's like "the staple" for beginners and "the standard" and so forth, but I just can't get over the art style.

I totally agree...have you tried the Radiant though? It's wonderfully redrawn and colored :)