What are your flying dreams like?

TenOfSwords

Someone posting about dancing dreams made me think about my own flying dreams and something occured to me:

It's very common to have dreams where you're flying, so common perhaps that it's not given that much thought, it doesn't seem that special.

But it is a special dream because it goes against your waking reality, at least I'm not able to fly the way I do in dreams when I'm awake. That means that it's expressing a desire and not "just" reliving experiences to understand them or exploring an issue.

I haven't been dreaming for many years (too stressed out I think), but when I did, the flying dreams were always the same:

Different settings, sometimes nature - sometimes urban. Moving and becoming aware that you're not limited to physically doing it, but able to use will to hover and move through the air to where you want to go and stay hovering, not "ruled" by gravity. It's only the reality of being able to do it that's explored in the dream, nothing else goes on. There's no flying to far away places or other people involved and there's no "speeding through the air at high altitudes, seeing the ground rushing by". It's like a self discovery of an ability.

I have a good sense of what "real life" desire it's relating to for me personally and I'm sure that others will have those type of issues as well, they might express them in the same way, perhaps differently, that makes it interesting because it says something about personality and attitude and charecter.

So what are your flying dreams like? Different? the same? do you have a sense of what yours are about?

Cerulean

To be honest, my flying dreams usually are in descent mode..

and it usually is the ground rushing upward as well as me flying down...more of a sliding feeling...I never skid or collide with the ground though, I usually find myself perched in a tree or slow the descent down.

It's more of the view that I perceive as significant--and I can see above myself as well as below. Mostly I see scenes similar to what I remember from an airplane window.

But if I were to describe a feeling, it would be a good one--a weightless experience. There's a poem that I like that uses 'dancing' as a metaphor for a weightless, floating lightness of spirit.

My vague remembered impressions only...

Cerulean

Rogan

What about the WAY you fly...

I think the WAY people fly in dreams is different, too - Personally, I fly like Peter Pan, which-ever direction I want without any effort at all... My mate only flies in his dreams by slowly lifting each foot off the ground and into the air, and he doesn't "fly" so much as hover in one direction for a certain period of time before touching down again. Another friend of mine can find he can jump really really high, but then come crashing back down to earth again (well, not crash so much as make a fast decent...)

WalesWoman

I haven't flown in my dreams since puberty struck... but I remember them well. At first it was like swimming in air, then sort of superman style, point and shoot in a direction to anywhere. I felt like I was flying above everything, could see everywhere... as if I were up in the stars.

I went all sorts of places, but seems they always felt familiar even tho' my conscious self said I'd never been there before or knew the people I talked to. Some places I went back to often enough that I began to recognize them and the people who lived there, I wonder do these places and people exist in this world or is it another alternate one. So far I've never encountered these places or people in my waking life, but they seemed so real and beyond anything I had encountered. It was my conscious self that intruded and the next thing I knew I'd be groping around in the bed trying to figure out which way I was laying in it.

It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I heard about this phenomenon, that I could have actually left my body and really done these things.

sagewriter

I always did the breast-stroke in the air!! So cool! My best flying dream was just flying through the air as the sun set, flying through the pink clouds, then the stars and moon appeared. It was so beautiful! It has happened for a bout a year now, which is a shame!

Asenath

In order to fly I usually have to take a running start and then take off. When I'm helping someone out and we need to travel, I hold their hand and ask them to concentrate on doing it (because they're not equipt with my special flying powers! ;) ) Then usually we start running together, I count them off 1-2-3 and off we go!

When I'm flying though, there's usually some sort of trouble in the dream. So either I'm helping someone get out of some sort of situation or I'm usually trying to escape some sort of "bad guy". Very rarely do I or a friend and I fly just to admire the scenery.

Moonchild1721

I have only had one dream where I was flying, and I just took off, kind of Peter Panish. It was an incredible feeling. I flew over my town, just looking down at everyone and everything I have known since I was a child. I didn't reallt try to accomplish anything in this dream, I just looked.
Samantha

Silverwitch

Great Thread

I love this thread, I fly alot in my dreams, but its much like the others have discribed, more like hover. It is never the same setting but I jump and than push myself up slowly more like swimming in the air. I love these dreams they are the only ones that I have that I know I am dreaming and just relax and enjoy. I really wish I could make myself dream this all the time.

Flidais

My flying experience varies. Sometimes I have to get a running start and wave my arms and pump my legs (like I'm running) in order to rise into the air. Sometimes it's a real struggle. (It feels kind of like trying to propel myself upward from the bottom of a swimming pool after a dive.) Sometimes I get to a certain height and can't go higher. In a very common dream, I am around people and decide to raise myself up off the ground and see if they notice. I sometimes rise only enough to reach mid-level tree branches, where I "roost"! LOL

Other times, I seem to rise into the air without difficulty and, usually using a swimming motion, I fly over vast distances, often looking down on spectacular sights like cities all lit up at night or rolling mountains, glaciers, fields, oceans, and so forth. I like these flying dreams the best.

mingbop

picture a door...open it and go through it. On the other side, you find yourself on a clfftop above a deep blue sea. Go to the the edge and jump off. Its a lot easier than running and flapping ! lol