What is the Function of the Tarot Reading?

jmd

Two years ago, the Association for Tarot Studies featured in its Newsletter (number 12) answers to the question 'What is Tarot?'.

Answers were combined from replies on the thread 'What is Tarot?' and from various quotes from books and direct contributions by presenters.

Solandia has also featured the contents of those replies on Aeclectic's main pages.

Today, at the December 2005 Melbourne Tarot Café, a similar yet quite distinct question was asked, and thought it would be appropriate to again have the various answers generated form part of a future Newsletter (very likely the February issue).
______

This time, the question is, as per the heading:

What is the function of the Tarot reading?

As per the previous time, please indicate that you give permission to include your answer in the Newsletter. If you omit this, everyone here will of course be able to enjoy your contribution, but I will not be at liberty to include the same within the Newsletter.

Also, please keep your answer (if intended for the Newsletter) to a single rather shortish paragraph - even a single sentence.

soooo....

...what is the function of the tarot reading?

(leaving the question itself undefined, and allowing its numerous senses to play into its replies)

Red Emma

What is tarot?

For me, it gives insights into my life and what's happening around me, thus usually helping me to make better decisions for myself.

Except for the occasional grandchild, I don't read for others, so tarot is useful only in my own life.

(Use whatever part of the above you find pertinent.)

R. Emma

carly

It's a clear answer, that if you stick to has no ifs ands or buts.

use that or edited form if you want :)

mythos

Coming from a counselling-psych background, I use tarot to help the person explore the psycho-spiritual aspects of their situation to identify strengths and problem areas, and investigate what the person can do to build on those strengths and untangle the problems through increased awareness and action. Thus, for me, the function of a tarot reading is, in effect, to create a counselling environment with a focus on active involvement of the readee.

... and yep, you can use this.

mythos:)

Cerulean

What is the function of a tarot reading?

"I believe it is a process for reflecting on the portrayed images, then speaking of what such images suggest to our associations and imaginations...an opportunity to talk or think of how an allegory, feeling and image can creatively relate to a situation or question..."

(Hope this is useful!) Thanks for letting us participate...

Cerulean

P.S. You can use the thought in quotes, if you like.

tarotbear

I would say that the function of a tarot reading is to explain and clarify by showing which actions will bring you to your best or desired conclusion.

Use it if you wish ....

Azarial

To me, the function of a tarot reading is used to give insight on myself, others, and situations I may be in, at the present or past. I also use it to divine the future, so that I may make better choices.

~Azarial~

(edited to give my permission, I forgot.)

FaerieSage

The tarot reading is a tool to find alternative ways of looking at problems and potential solutions. It allows us to separate ourselves from the questions just enough to gain a new perspective while remaining close enough to feel the crux of the issues.

FaerieSage

Permission granted. ;-)

Adjustment

The function of a tarot reading is to help a person to get the perspective and insights of any situation and to let them know how their actions or other people actions or inaction's can help or affect their future.

Edit to say: I give permission to use it.

Emeraldgirl

The function of tarot for me is to allow insights into situations and even just life in general that you may not have known or thought of as yet. It helps to solve problems and gain clarity.

Permission to use :)