What is the purpose of the Will? (split from BoL 2.22)

Curtis Penfold

I'm having difficulties understanding. How do you know something is right just because your god-will wants to do it?

Grigori

Curtis Penfold said:
I'm having difficulties understanding. How do you know something is right just because your god-will wants to do it?

I'm not sure I'm understanding what your asking, or what to say to make it clearer. As a Christian how do you know what your God asks is right, just because they want you to?...

thorhammer

Where's that bit about the difference between faith and certainty?

\m/ Kat

Curtis Penfold

Grigori said:
I'm not sure I'm understanding what your asking, or what to say to make it clearer. As a Christian how do you know what your God asks is right, just because they want you to?...

Well we're taught that God loves us and wants the best for us, that if we follow Him, we'll find real happiness.

What does Thelema teach that you'll find if you follow your god-will?

Grigori

thorhammer said:
Where's that bit about the difference between faith and certainty?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=123744

Curtis Penfold said:
What does Thelema teach that you'll find if you follow your god-will?

Your will. That is the goal.

It might be useful to think of the "Star" analogy. If your on your right path, then you don't go crashing into other Stars all the time. You find your path.

Curtis Penfold

Grigori said:
Your will. That is the goal.

So practically speaking, what does that mean. By finding your will, are you a happier person? Do you find more purpose in life?

Grigori

Curtis Penfold said:
So practically speaking, what does that mean. By finding your will, are you a happier person? Do you find more purpose in life?

You Will IS your purpose in life. If you knew with certainty what your will was, and had the guidance of your own divine self to help you achieve it, sounds pretty happy to me. Sounds like Certainty even :D

thorhammer

The idea is, that when you know your True Will and follow it to the letter (yeah, right, but it's a nice thought) then you will transcend the world of illusion (this elemental existence) and understand the true nature of your Godhood. You will become God. Every man and woman is a star - we just hide our light within the Khu (the ego/personality) and our life's purpose is to bring that ego into submission to be the tool of experience it's meant to be, rather than the tyrannical master.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

Curtis Penfold said:
Well we're taught that God loves us and wants the best for us, that if we follow Him, we'll find real happiness.

On reflection I'd like to challange this statement, the definition of happiness at least. I know popularly we're told that if we follow the will of God we'll be happy, but I think the definition of that is variable. I can think of a few Christian martyrs who are shining examples of following God's will, and they didn't have anything like a happy life. Also a few saints, nuns etc. I think happiness is probably the wrong word, certainty in spite of our circumstances is maybe a bettter way to say it. Direction and purpose, even when things are crappy I think is a kind of happiness that is realistic.

Always Wondering

Here is a snippit from Man, in Little Essays Toward the Truth where Crowley lists several names for true will and some results you might expect.

The Quest of the Holy Grail, the Search for the Stone of the Philosophers—by whatever name we choose to call the Great Work—is therefore endless. Success only opens up new avenues of brilliant possibility. Yea, verily, and Amen! the task is tireless and its joys without bounds; for the whole Universe, and all that in it is, what is it but the infinite playground of the Crowned and Conquering Child, of the insatiable, the innocent, the ever-rejoicing Heir of Space and Eternity, whose name is MAN?

AW