Whats the Point?

MissCW

For tarot on relationship readings I mean!

I seem to end up doing more readings on relationships than anything else. And from what everyone says, tarot can generally only predict the future following the trends of what is going on that particular time of reading, and only for quite a short period in time.

But relationships have ups and downs and when emotions and feelings are involved things can change very quickly.

I know nothing in my own relationships ever usually turns out the way the cards predict, even when other people have read for me.

I find that tarot for me in relationships only really tells me accurately what is going on at the time and how I am feeling, but I know that anyway – I am living it! So what's the point really?

And sometimes I get a bit worried about that – what if my querent was having a bad spell and the cards were showing that their feelings towards their partner were not too loving! (I am thinking of times when I have really loathed the person I was seeing :) ) A reading picking up this would not be the overall picture of maybe them sorting it all out six months down the line, would it?

Sorry, I am rambling now!!

sacredashes

LOL :D

That was one reason why I stopped reading for ATA... not exactly the way you saw it but quite often, people may just want quick fixes or solutions but that's just not how things work.

And the cards may shed light but how we work it AFTER a reading plays a larger part to how things turn out than what the cards says at the time of reading. That's partly why I don't do future readings as well because you never know what people choose to do after a reading and the poor reader is held accountable for having done a "future" reading.

I had a client complain that a reader once told her friend that she (the friend) was going to end up a grumpy, old spinster :D and I think the choice of words could have been improved upon, what really turns out in the end is up to the client to work on.

Sitting at home mourning lost youth (and this client's friend was only 27) may very well turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

greenbeans

Hi Miss CW

I have those initials in real life!! And I'm from the UK too. :D

I'm a beginner so I'm still not sure about this stuff..I'm sure others will have better ideas than me.

But my feeling is that the reading may show possibilities of the future, no cut and dried answer....so it may show the relationship heading for trouble if you continue being obsessively jealous of your partner (or whatever) and if he keeps leaving the loo seat up (or whatever). But it must be rare that a relationship is going to end 'no matter what'. Well, my readings are never that certain anyway!

I'm sure as long as you ask the querent what they are expecting and explain it all clearly card-by-card it should be ok...

WalesWoman

That IS the point... to see the relationship in a snapshot... as it is that moment and see which way the wind blows. So the advice is more important than what is actually going on, because it can help them see what brings this about, if they are repeating unconscious destructive traits, what part they play in this and what they can do to improve things.

It may not ensure a happy ending, it could show how to work through difficulties without all the ups and downs or show them how they create them.

jlo

I agree with you MissCW . I have done so many relationship readings for me but none of it turned out true . I've stopped doing them now (at least for a while) . When I feel I can trust the tarots again on relationship issues,maybe I'll start again .

I guess you cannot actually predict much about how someone is going to behave,feel etc etc .The tarots just show a possibility of how things can go .

Arania

While I usually get them "right" I do not like doing them a lot. In many cases, the sitter only wants to hear a positive outcome. In other cases, they are looking for dirt on their SO. My hubby doesn't do such readings at all.

Yet, I've had someone do a relationship reading for me some years back (the only one I ever got done) and it was accurate and has helped me to be patient with certain things. I suppose it's all how the sitter deals with it, and what the intention is to begin with.

Abrac

The Tarot reveals what is potentially possible. The future is always a potential possibility. In the case of relationships, the Tarot can help by showing a relationship's true potential before you invest too much of yourself into it.

I beleive the Tarot can reveal long-term possibilites for a relationship, but one of the reasons this may not be more obvious you have already mentioned - people's emotions change before a relationship has had a chance to reach its full potential. Then we say, 'well, guess the cards were wrong again.' The cards didn't change, we did. The trick is to stick with what you know, not with what you feel.

ravenest

After 30 years reading Ican affirm that the most popular questions are ; Love/sex ... power .... money

An interesting breed aren't we?

mollymawk

And if their kids will be okay, Ravens. Or maybe that falls under 'love', not sure.

Nholdamek

I've done a few relationship readings, and they have been accurate. I guess it's all in what you believe though. If you think Tarot can only predict a short time into the future, well that's what it'll do. I don't assign any such limits to it.

The only time I'd refuse to do a reading like that is if the same person kept coming back wanting to know about the same relationship over and over again.