What's your make-or-break card?

nisaba

I don't have any cards at all - it's the overall feeling of the whole deck that will turn me on or turn me off. Decks I love to distraction ha ve poor cards: decks that make me shudder have surprisingly good cards here and there.

Likewise, I don't have what many other people seem to have: a "favourite" card. Probably in each of my decks I can point to one or more favourites - for those decks. For instance, in the SOL I really, really like the Six and Seven Crescents - but the six and Seven Cups are probably not favourites in any other deck, and I can pull out entirely other favourites in other decks.

Mateo06

nisaba said:
I don't have any cards at all - it's the overall feeling of the whole deck that will turn me on or turn me off.QUOTE]

I will have to agree. I've bought decks because of a whim, but the decks that have made me buy them were decks I knew I would use if they arrived at my doorstep in the right condition. The Legacy was and is a deck I would love to use, but it doesn't stand up to my shuffling, so I let it sit in the corner neglected.

NightWing

Tarot Moon

For some reason, ever since I got my very first tarot deck (Rider-Waite), the Moon has been an important card for me. the art matters, but also the content (no pooches, no crustacean, -no sale!). This still allows for a wide variety of styles, arrangements, colours, etc.

The absence of one or more of the basic RWS elements on the Moon card is a definite "deal breaker" for me. It is as if the deck cannot "speak" without that card, and the card cannot "speak" without the essentials. Additional elements are welcome, but no deletions please!

This self-imposed "limitation" has not prevented me from collecting several hundred tarot decks. Indirectly, it may have been a blessing!

Scarlet27

Definitely the Empress, the Star and the Moon :)