Where to buy antique tarots in France?

ladybird

I'm visiting France for several weeks. I'm in Paris now and was wondering where I might buy an old tarot deck. An antique tarot would be such a lovely souvenir. I spent a while at the Marche aux Puces today and came across some cool decks: a Salon de Sibilia (which I already have), a Yi-King tarot (a neat 1980s I-ching tarot by Grimaud) and various carte de jeus. Nothing really antique though. I'm curious if any of you could refer to me a place to buy antique tarots in the area? I will be in Paris for 10 days, but will be traveling to the South and Eastern parts of the country.

This might help any leads, but I was thinking about a Grand Etteilla and maybe a Lenormand.

Merci beaucoup!

ladybird

I have seen the esoteric type stores that sell new tarot and crystals and such. I also noticed the Playing Cards Museum which is all the way on the other side of the city from where I'm staying. Is that worth visiting?

gregory

I have seen the esoteric type stores that sell new tarot and crystals and such. I also noticed the Playing Cards Museum which is all the way on the other side of the city from where I'm staying. Is that worth visiting?
Yes.

It doesn't sell a whole lot, though when I was there it did have a couple of OOP decks I'd not seen on sale elsewhere for a while. But yes - it has an awesome collection - beautifully displayed. I spent a whole day there and I wasn't done. And it is easy to get to - take the Metro to Issy and walk the last bit :)

ETA I don't know if the Librairie L'Inconnu has any old decks (they occasionally do) but they would be the best people to ask - 84 rue du Cherche Midi
75006 PARIS
Tel : 01 42 84 82 83
Fax : 01 42 22 65 62

http://www.librairie-inconnu.com/

Another is Gibert Jeune's new-ish esoteric store, on the Quai near Place St Andre des Arts. I've bought used decks there - though not really OLD ones. Also I THINK a German guy I sometimes buy from is based in Paris - I'll dig it up and PM you...

decan

On Google you can type in "Librairie ésotérique Paris" and see the results.

For example here: http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/annuaire/...=librairie+esoterique&ou=paris-75&proximite=0

I have no adress to recommend particularly because I don't live in Paris presently.
I don't think you will find some rare and old decks nevertheless. More or less you will find the same decks here or there, and most of the stores haven't a big stock I think...

Personally I would go to the "BHV-Marais", it is a department store near to "Hôtel de ville". I think they sell cartomancy decks, and probably more than anywhere else because it isn't a little shop with no stock. I hope they have a section to that.
You'll have to ask to a seller (in french): "Pouvez-vous m'indiquer un rayon où je pourrais acheter des cartes pour la cartomancie ?"
Of course it's important to understand the answer in french :D But the sellers ought to speak english I think :)

I am sure you will find the Lenormand, the Grand Etteilla, several Tarots of Marseille, the Belline Oracle etc.

gregory

Oh sure - I don't find BMV that great - but in this thread there are several listed:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=171463

The OP was asking about OLD decks - and while Gibert Jeune usually has plain USED ones, I don't think I've yet seen a really OLD one there. The Librarie might, or might at least know.

decan

The BHV is a general department store like some others, and I recognize that for someone from a foreign country this could be not typical enough. And for only new decks of course!

Secondhand decks are not necessarily old decks. And the Lenormand, Grand Etteilla or Belline Oracle or Tarot are old decks, but people buy them new.

ladybird

Thank you both for the recommendations! I am going to first check out the Playing Cards Museum and le Librairie L'Inconnu. Merci beaucoup!!!

gregory

The BHV is a general department store like some others, and I recognize that for someone from a foreign country this could be not typical enough. And for only new decks of course!

Secondhand decks are not necessarily old decks. And the Lenormand, Grand Etteilla or Belline Oracle or Tarot are old decks, but people buy them new.
I think the word "antique" suggested.... :D

But for new - as I said in the other thread - Variantes and Gibert Jeune are also pretty good...

decan

Thank you both for the recommendations! I am going to first check out the Playing Cards Museum and le Librairie L'Inconnu. Merci beaucoup!!!

Hi Ladybird,
Did you find what you looked for finally at "l'innconu"? How is this playing cards museum?

ladybird

Yes.

It doesn't sell a whole lot, though when I was there it did have a couple of OOP decks I'd not seen on sale elsewhere for a while. But yes - it has an awesome collection - beautifully displayed. I spent a whole day there and I wasn't done. And it is easy to get to - take the Metro to Issy and walk the last bit :)

Hi Ladybird,
Did you find what you looked for finally at "l'innconu"? How is this playing cards museum?

I did make it to the Playing Cards Museum. I'm so glad that gregory inisisted on it. It was amazing! Gregory, when was the last time that you visited? They only had one of the really large cards left on display. I didn't see you mention the Chariot card from the Visconti Sforza, but it is there! It's the only VS but it is gorgeous. I've not seen an origianl VF up close so I was thrilled to get to see at least the one.

They certainly have quite the collection! Grand Etteillas, Lenormands, Sibilia, TdMs, part of a Della Roca, some modern tarot decks and of course playing cards from around the globe, including some really old ones from India. I'll have to write a blog post and share a slideshow as I took like 200 photos! I'm such a nerd. ;)

The shop didn't have anything vintage/antique for sale but they did have some reproduction TdM's and playing cards.

I searched several places for antique decks, but didn't find anything I was looking for. I went to several brocantes and found an antique playing card deck and a vintage Grand Etteilla (Egyptian) from the 70s. So I did find a couple deck-related souvenirs that I'm happy to bring home.

Here is a picture, forgive me, it just doesn't do the VS Chariot justice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 608